• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF Factory PAM005 finally out.

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
It might be the crap crystal!

I saw it well with the new noob 390, in relation to the crystal, but under direct artificial light, it was almost invisible, however, it was pronounced under natural light.
With 005 xf this is definitely not that obvious, but it seems the effect is similar.
Thanks for sharing, didn't notice it in the photos before.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnlogan

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City

Dial print on the XF looks to be a tad faint. I.e not as crisp as per GEN.

I’ve held it up to my gen 005 side by side.

Dial print looks the same.

The crystal though is miles apart - very cloudy on the XF, crystal (see what I did there) clear on the gen.

Difficult to see the difference in a photo, but in real life you can’t miss it.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I’ve held it up to my gen 005 side by side.

Dial print looks the same.

The crystal though is miles apart - very cloudy on the XF, crystal (see what I did there) clear on the gen.

Difficult to see the difference in a photo, but in real life you can’t miss it.

Could you also comment on the lume marker color? I always wondered whether the XF 005 lume marker is too green or not compared to gen.

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
That is correct, rep lume is ever so slightly greener. But you’d need to be holding both to notice the difference, it’s quite minor.

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Thank you very much for this photo, thorne .
Can I ask you for photos from other sides when you have the time and desire?
I'm very interested in the profile photo from the side, from the CG side, at a right angle, and a photo from the end of the lugs.
At least a couple, compare the shape of the CG curvature, the height of the bezel base, and some other places.

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Here is a photo to show the difference between the crystals.

is it 005 gen vs Rep ?? plz if u don’t mind full comparison back , case thickness ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
is it 005 gen vs Rep ?? plz if u don’t mind full comparison back , case thickness ?

it’s look like we have super rep here but pic not very clear.

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
Rep first, then gen in all photos. Sorry about the smudges, fingerprints and dust.

Crown looks OK.
Crystal is very slightly flatter on gen, hard to photograph. Not noticed unless held side by side.

ZPAfNX.jpg

ZPAGKi.jpg

Side profile looks OK.

ZPAS1b.jpg

ZPA0Mp.jpg

CG window cut out is definitely off. Lever tip is different as well.

ZP1PUL.jpg

ZP1TBR.jpg

Lever seems slimmer and better shaped on gen.

ZP1khK.jpg

ZP1XR8.jpg

Rear of CG - again, sharply defined CG window on gen.

ZPLD5E.jpg

ZPLZBn.jpg

Caseback: Differences in serifs, the 1 on rep is shorter than 860, has always been this way, even on the old XF 005.

ZPLjR3.jpg

ZPL3Ks.jpg

See CG lever fitment tolerances here, much closer fit on gen.

ZPLH9Y.jpg

ZPLKsD.jpg

CG profile: CG position on rep should be higher.

ZPL2Dk.jpg

ZPLAqo.jpg

Caseback: Thickness about the same.

ZP1w9v.jpg

ZP14s1.jpg

I'd upgrade it with a better CG, a better crystal (perhaps Prof), and a tall CP, as the current one is sunken.

Last edited:

KOT1917

26/7/19
Russian federation
Thank you very much for responding. I think this is a very useful comparison that will answer the questions of many of those present.

Reactions: thorne

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks thorne for this nice foto-reeview. Really interesting

If we consider the sausage dial structure accuraccy as a neccesary condition to get the super rep status. No sausage rep will get this condition. Not even the best current H maker and Noob sausage dials have a correct gen sausage strucuture. They are just solutions more or less cosmetical to get gen sausage appearance.

I think that seeing your magnificient foto-review that KW case is in some aspects very close to the gen, even its finish is sometimes over the gen (see the lug contours joining the case).

Maybe the evaluation will be under last H maker and Noobs (due to the sausage dial), but it will always be a super rep (like old H maker and Noob versions). IMHO KW is more than 85% of the gen

ALE

BTW: Please, what is the letter Series of the gen in the pics ? It look not very old.

Reactions: thorne and sukwonee

mtobberup

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/5/20
Thanks a lot for that fantastic side by side comparison.

Sendt fra min VOG-L29 med Tapatalk

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
Thank you al for the kind words.

ALE7575 well noted, if not counting the dial construction then it will be a super rep.

I noticed the lug contours as well, this is good to see the maker has put in this level of effort during case manufacturing.

The gen is a 2011 N, but has been to OP for a service and case polish a few months ago, that’s why it looks quite new.

sukwonee the case height looks the same to me, I will get a better pic for case height. In those photos the case height difference may be due to different magnification in the photos.

Reactions: sukwonee

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
thorne this is awesome.

Case seems a tad bit slimmer on the gen which may have contributed to the CG sitting lower from the side profile. Lugs also seem slightly slimmer and longer on the gen too.

Just my thougts

Gen Midcase is not slimmer than KW, just gen case has more curved cushion shape. Due to that it seems slimmer and the CG doesn't reach the angle of the cushion shape.
Regarding lugs length, KW (as usually ) has the lug holes placed a bit higer than gen and that position produces an optical effect of longer lugs in gen.

ALE

Reactions: sukwonee

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Thank you al for the kind words.

ALE7575 well noted, if not counting the dial construction then it will be a super rep.

I noticed the lug contours as well, this is good to see the maker has put in this level of effort during case manufacturing.

The gen is a 2011 N, but has been to OP for a service and case polish a few months ago, that’s why it looks quite new.

sukwonee the case height looks the same to me, I will get a better pic for case height. In those photos the case height difference may be due to different magnification in the photos.

Thanks, very helpful comparison

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Just my thougts

Gen Midcase is not slimmer than KW, just gen case has more curved cushion shape. Due to that it seems slimmer and the CG doesn't reach the angle of the cushion shape.
Regarding lugs length, KW (as usually ) has the lug holes placed a bit higer than gen and that position produces an optical effect of longer lugs in gen.

ALE

that actually makes a lot of sense and also inline with what Thorne said above who has both gen and XF in hand. I think you use KW to refer to XF - was KW acquired by XF at some point?