• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Gen or rep buy what you like.

I too was on the thought passage of passing gens on to my children as so many do… I gauged the interest over the years.

My teenage boys could care less about watches when I show them. I don’t want them to remember me by a watch they don’t like and won’t wear, I would just rather invest the money into something like their first car, house deposit etc.

So yes I have moved largely away from gens, I only have a gen Heuer Monaco but apart from that I personally don’t see the value so I go for reps for my tastes (although I would like a nice gen speedy).
Gen speedy is the one!

Reactions: Thatwatchguy

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
There are some brands I will only buy gen (i think...except if temptation kills me) . Cartier and Omega for example.

Rolex i did not want the hassle. I love the Exp1 rep I just bought. I would like a gen and I can afford it...but no way I would do the hoops jumps. That was my trigger for the first buy.

Panerai intrigues me. So I ordered one rep to see how that feels. Dunno if I will like this massive thing.

I don't think I would buy a rep Patek or an AP. I cannot "reasonably" afford those in gen, so wearing those would not suit my work and social circle.

rolexers

Horology Curious
12/6/23
Singapore
There are some brands I will only buy gen (i think...except if temptation kills me) . Cartier and Omega for example.

Rolex i did not want the hassle. I love the Exp1 rep I just bought. I would like a gen and I can afford it...but no way I would do the hoops jumps. That was my trigger for the first buy.

Panerai intrigues me. So I ordered one rep to see how that feels. Dunno if I will like this massive thing.

I don't think I would buy a rep Patek or an AP. I cannot "reasonably" afford those in gen, so wearing those would not suit my work and social circle.
Well, for me rep is good when you first received it. But after a while you start noticing the flaws and you can't unsee it. For an OCD like me, I got 2 reps that end up in a box. lol

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Well, for me rep is good when you first received it. But after a while you start noticing the flaws and you can't unsee it. For an OCD like me, I got 2 reps that end up in a box. lol
As long as you know what you are buying. If you have unbearable OCD issues, then buy gen.

peter4103

1/7/17
European Union
I guess it depends on your mood and possibility to invest in watches. Rep’s are great when you don’t want too much money tied up in your watches. Gens are great when you don’t mind having that money into the watches you own and when you pick the right brands / models, your investment will do
Better than when leaving your money in the bank.

As far as wearing them, no difference to be honest when it’s a good rep.

Reactions: rolexers and Homex

rolexers

Horology Curious
12/6/23
Singapore
I guess it depends on your mood and possibility to invest in watches. Rep’s are great when you don’t want too much money tied up in your watches. Gens are great when you don’t mind having that money into the watches you own and when you pick the right brands / models, your investment will do
Better than when leaving your money in the bank.

As far as wearing them, no difference to be honest when it’s a good rep.
100%. Reps actually give you a peace of mind when wearing, esp in this economy..

rusalkamoto

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
7/3/22
I ordered a pam911 8 days...I hope you are wrong on that one 😱
It's a special edition
Well its just my pet peeve, I like when a said 8 days movement actually holds 8 days of power reserve, there is some engineering marvel in it which I glady pay for. Or the anti-magnetic features of my gen Explorer 2 polar. But for a unitas movement in a 111 (had 2 gens of that actually) or same-ish swiss calibre 5 sellita which is in the KOR Factory Aquaracer, never.

Im sure you will love your 911 tho, its sweet-looking!

Reactions: Karbon74

Jakusi

Horology Curious
20/6/23
Germany
Ofc getting scratches on a rep are a pain but just imagine getting them on a gen. Also reps these days (aslong as from a good factory) are pretty indistinguishable. If someone pulls out a microscope run tho.

Reactions: Karbon74

rusalkamoto

Certified
7/3/22
Ofc getting scratches on a rep are a pain but just imagine getting them on a gen. Also reps these days (aslong as from a good factory) are pretty indistinguishable. If someone pulls out a microscope run tho.
well to some, getting scratches on a gen is part of the fun. Thats the case for me also if the scratches are not like it has been hit with Thor's hammer.

2/5/23
USA
I have been reasonably successful in my career, but I grew up in a place where frugality is a virtue and so I can’t justify the prices of gens beyond a certain point. Between brands like CW or Tudor and brands like A Lange there’s a middle zone where the prices of watches don’t match up with the inherent value for me. I’d never buy a watch from the most exclusive tier but I can more easily see the value there than with a gen Rolex.

Also, nobody in my life ever bought a Rolex for a milestone so I have no frame of reference for that.

Reactions: fotos