• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
This is an interesting perspective. I actually feel like the reverse is pretty common. A lot of people I know waiting 2-3 years for a stainless steel Rolex and after buying what they wanted so badly were underwhelmed. They sell the gen for a nice profit, keep the money, and buy the best rep they can find getting out of the gen watch game entirely.
I'm one of the people you cite, as I've owned many high end luxury Swiss watches including over ten Rolex, several Breitling and Omega brands. I've sold them all because the "thrill" was eventually gone even as I tried to maintain it by checking in with various gen forums on a regular basis. I now have a Clean Factory Pepsi and Sub that I wear interchangeably. Only my wife knows they are reps. When someone else complements me on them, I just say "thank you" without further comment.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Sagebrush

21/8/22
Another factor is insurance. That really starts to add up over the years for gens, but with a rep you can just buy a replacement if it breaks or gets lost.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I buy primarily gens, because it's not a financial burden for me. In the past several years, I've actually made a lot of money selling some of them. I just sold a vintage daytona (6239) from my collection that I bought a few years ago for $25k for $100k. I had two of that model and kept the earlier SN, so I don't miss it from my collection. I can't really do that with a rep. I do sometimes buy reps to see if I like the fit / look of a gen I'm thinking about, prior to dropping big bucks on the gen.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Another factor is insurance. That really starts to add up over the years for gens, but with a rep you can just buy a replacement if it breaks or gets lost.
Yes, the insurance does get pricey... I have a good rate (ie under 1% of value/year) and its ~2500 / month to insure my collection. I could buy a cheap house for that.

Sagebrush

21/8/22
I buy primarily gens, because it's not a financial burden for me. In the past several years, I've actually made a lot of money selling some of them. I just sold a vintage daytona (6239) from my collection that I bought a few years ago for $25k for $100k. I had two of that model and kept the earlier SN, so I don't miss it from my collection. I can't really do that with a rep. I do sometimes buy reps to see if I like the fit / look of a gen I'm thinking about, prior to dropping big bucks on the gen.
Makes sense. I'm curious about what someone in your position does with the rep once you decide you like it enough to acquire the gen.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Makes sense. I'm curious about what someone in your position does with the rep once you decide you like it enough to acquire the gen.
That's a good question. Sometimes I give them away to old friends on here. Sometimes they just sit in a watch box for a lot of years. I like to tinker too... so I have quite a few that are in parts awaiting when I have time to oil and reassemble.

Reactions: joeyc and Sagebrush

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
I just bought a Grand Seiko sbga461 spring drive online. One of the most satisfying aspects of buying this watch was the confidence to buy it online knowing that I would instantly be able to tell that it’s the genuine and not a replica. The sweeping second movement of the spring drive is mesmerizing and will be extremely difficult to replicate this movement. I also appreciate and respect the game changing engineering of combining a mechanical and quartz watch into one without the need of a battery. Add in hand polishing of each case and you have an incredible, beautiful watch at a relatively good value. Yeah, I’m being cocky in challenging the the Chinese to replicate the silky smooth spring drive movement and it’s +1-1 second a day accuracy at a price under 2k. Can you guys do it?

See I’m with you, repping that is like repping a patek, the quality of the finishing, the movement, ect can’t be replicated ThAts what you pay for and get in a Gen- but look at how good the Rolex reps are- not worth buying Gen unless you get a killer deal and just sit on it

danniello

Looking Around
10/2/23
France
Buy rep or buy gen is just a matter of money.
As an enthusiast, the last two Seiko watches I bought last month cost me $4000. They are genuine and for me it is a lot of money. For my next watch, I would be more resonable. I am thinking of buying a Rolex which will cost me nothing. It is an $11,000 gen. But once purchased, it's exactly as if I had placed the money in a savings account. I can recover the money without loss.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Why do I buy gens?

Well, I guess...
Sarcastic No Reason GIF by Holly Logan

Will I Can GIF by WIESEMANN 1893

🤪😇😆

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Watches eh.. I can’t think of anything that can get used so much but maintain its value. Hell even reps hold their value.

I find it crazy I could never justify paying the amounts for a stainless steel watch I would sooner buy a new motorcycle.
And if you consider the amount of R&D that goes into a new motorcycle and parts involved. It really is hilarious but amazing business what the watch brands are pulling off what they do. It’s only based on hype.
I guess this is why we have so many new microbrands appearing, all trying to get in on the action.

It shows where the world is at, that people are willing to pay so much to show their wealth others. Sure some love the watchmaking... but your average Rolex owner is only buying a watch as a status symbol.

Last edited:

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Watches eh.. I can’t think of anything that can get used so much but maintain its value. Hell even reps hold their value.

I find it crazy I could never justify paying the amounts for a stainless steel watch I would sooner buy a new motorcycle.
And if you consider the amount of R&D that goes into a new motorcycle and parts involved. It really is hilarious but amazing business what the watch brands are pulling off what they do. It’s only based on hype.
I guess this is why we have so many new microbrands appearing, all trying to get in on the action.

It shows where the world is at, that people are willing to pay so much to show their wealth others. Sure some love the watchmaking... but your average Rolex owner is only buying a watch as a status symbol.
I have a chuckle when they gp on about the tech in a richard mille justifying the price. Its the same price as a ferrari ffs.

John Wick

11/2/23
Italy
When I subscribed to this forum, after a lot of reading as an unsubscribed user, I was primarily interested into getting two big fishes for my (very poor actually) personal watch collection: the classics, Sub and DateJust by Rolex.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the best Sub rep around, because I perfectly knew that's the most I could get from that kind of watch, last minute surprises excluded (i.e. winning the lottery, Rolex prices bubble imploding, ecc.) I won't be able to burn 5-figure money for a gen Sub in this life.
But I really love this classic mix of sport/elegant style at the same time...

...and...

...the worst or least expensive rep of a DateJust 36, just to get used to it on my wrist, before pulling the trigger on a vintage gen Oyster Perpetual Date 34 which -to my eye- looks almost identical and still costs a lot of money today, but that's like the limit I could be willing to spend on a watch.
And this would be a gen, because of the feel, is authentic and ain't got nothing to hide :alien:
I believe is something worth to invest money in to keep it running for long, then passing it over to someone else in the future family :alien:

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
I’ve got limited interest in further acquisition of big brand gens. The ones I still have, I have for sentimental reasons. In general, the gen communities for these are shitty and the companies and dealers are an increasingly big pain in the ass to work with.

Micro-brands, however, are another story. Not only can you obviously not get reps for these, I like the idea of supporting these smaller companies that are doing everything right and offering unique options.

Reactions: Feefo and Nickyan

OI812

17/3/06
I'll tell you one reason.....

I recently SERIOUSLY considered purchasing one of the finest Tudor frankens I've ever seen.... and I mean VERY seriously. I already own a couple of decent frankens and have had them for over a decade. They are great watches.

The primary reason I didn't buy the watch was the fact I can buy a genuine remake for +/- $1k more. I'm currently on the prowl for the deal...

With that said, IF I ever sell the genuine, at present, I can sell the watch for a small profit. IF I ever tried to sell the franken I know I'd (more than likely) lose money. It'd also be harder to sell.

So there is one reason to purchase genuine...(albeit a unique situation)

Reactions: joeyc

Whitewolf777

Supporter
16/12/21
Reps are a good way to scratch the itch, and to experience a taste of numerous designs at an affordable price. Plus thanks to this site, it appears that there is a good demand for second hand quality -, making it easy to try, sell, buy, try, sell…
Plus there is a, added perk. You don’t need to worry if your watch is gen or rep when buying a rep :ROFLMAO:

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Well if any of the boutiques call me and tell me I am allocated a Royal Oak, a Nautilus or PP Perpetual or a FPJ that I have expressed interest, I will drop everything and rush down with my credit card. The reason is simple, these watches kept their values and are good assets to hold although the enthusiasts would baulk at such a thought.

But for many years that did not happened. I am still waiting.

Reactions: Whitewolf777

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Reps are a good way to scratch the itch, and to experience a taste of numerous designs at an affordable price. Plus thanks to this site, it appears that there is a good demand for second hand quality -, making it easy to try, sell, buy, try, sell…
Plus there is a, added perk. You don’t need to worry if your watch is gen or rep when buying a rep :ROFLMAO:
This made me laugh - I can't go buying gens willy-nilly but sometimes I can grab a couple of reps to enjoy and experience them first hand. My recent acquisition was purchased because I already have the gen, and I just couldn't believe the level of finish and accuracy in the rep. People who have gens and spit on reps probably find themselves questioning whether theirs is a rep or not - At least I know mine is!! haha

Reactions: Whitewolf777

A330

21/5/22
Australia
I have rapidly grown my genuine collection for 1 reason.
Investments
- Guaranteed ROIs
- Closed loop security
- Can be sold anywhere in the world
- Can be recognized as an investment anywhere in the world

I use reps for day to day use, stuff I throw around and dont care.