• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

Ehdries

Looking Around
26/12/22
Netherlands
I have owned many gens, at some point I owned more gens then the value of my house. From vintage 18038 to 15202 to 15300 to 116520, to BLRO. I can tell that my watch collection felt like a throphy house. However, they were mostly locked up in a safe and I just wore 1 favorite and switched with another one at times.

I have also owned reps, mostly franken or superclones. I must say that obviously if you have a large colleciton of gens, you never really look back at the reps, but I still did own a REP patek 5167 ZF, because I never felt comfortable paying 50K for 'rubber'. I don't know why. But it just didnt feel right. I wore this REP quiet alot even though I had so many gens to pick from. The reason was that I just liked the watch a lot more then some of my gens. Was I proud wearing it? Not really. But knowing I had quiet some gens and enough money in the bank to buy the real thing solved that issue for me. Also, I think now that I am older I tend to give a shit what other people think of me and I just wear whatever I want. REP or GEN. All good.

I think wether people feel difference between GEN and REP really depends on ones personality. Some people dont give a darn about what other people think of them and wear because they like it. Others wear because they want to get liked for wearing a nice watch, and then there is also a group which is somewhere in the middle, the people who like to be seen with a nice watch, but also appreciate the design of a watch.

Honestly, when I bought all those gens I was very fortunate, now I am less fortunate and I tend to lean more towards reps again. For me personally, the feeling when wearing it is the same with REP and GEN. I dont feel better wearing one or the other. The only time I really love my gens more then reps is when im sitting at the table, looking at my collection. Being proud about my collection. You can't say that with reps. But thats really the only moment.

Matter fact, when you are very fortunate, even the gen at some point get boring and you start to care less about its condition, you start swimming with it, being less careful, because you can always afford a repair or buy a new one. I guess the reason why i had so many gens is because i wanted something 'new', dopamine.. it gets boring fast believe me.

I think if you really want to enjoy a gen is when you worked for it very hard, but are not fortunate enough to buy 3-4 gens. You are proud of that 1 gen, any scratch matters.. your true trophy that you worked your ass off for.. That middle class group.. is usually the group that is most happy with their gen.

Now investment wise. Yes I bought most watches because I thought it was a good investment. Well let me tell you. Its not really. If you need to liquidate those assets you lose atleast 20% at a dealer. And you wont be able to sell a 30-50K watch as a private person easily. Trust me. And even if you can.. look at the market.. Most of my watches dropped in value after I purchased them, and then another 20% loss when liquidating them to a dealer. The only real good investments, as far as I know, are the more vintage daydates. Such as gold 18038/18238, those keep going up in value even tho the entire watch market (and entire economy) is going down. My 18038 went from 15k to 19k just this year alone. Can't say that about any other rolex sport model or AP.

Even my 15202, extra thin, I sold it to my dealer for 50K, and right now im following it in his website to see if he can sell it.. Hes been trying to sell it for 6 months now for 65K, which is REALLY cheap if you look at the market.. And still no buyers. No.. Watches in general are not a good investment at all. Only vintage pieces, that you buy for a very very sharp price, in good condition. But even then, if you wnt to liquidate it, your going to lose 20%. So if you would buy this as an investment, your first 2-3 years will not be profitable.

Hope this helps you guys

wisedennis

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
I have owned many gens, at some point I owned more gens then the value of my house. From vintage 18038 to 15202 to 15300 to 116520, to BLRO. I can tell that my watch collection felt like a throphy house. However, they were mostly locked up in a safe and I just wore 1 favorite and switched with another one at times.

I have also owned reps, mostly franken or superclones. I must say that obviously if you have a large colleciton of gens, you never really look back at the reps, but I still did own a REP patek 5167 ZF, because I never felt comfortable paying 50K for 'rubber'. I don't know why. But it just didnt feel right. I wore this REP quiet alot even though I had so many gens to pick from. The reason was that I just liked the watch a lot more then some of my gens. Was I proud wearing it? Not really. But knowing I had quiet some gens and enough money in the bank to buy the real thing solved that issue for me. Also, I think now that I am older I tend to give a shit what other people think of me and I just wear whatever I want. REP or GEN. All good.

I think wether people feel difference between GEN and REP really depends on ones personality. Some people dont give a darn about what other people think of them and wear because they like it. Others wear because they want to get liked for wearing a nice watch, and then there is also a group which is somewhere in the middle, the people who like to be seen with a nice watch, but also appreciate the design of a watch.

Honestly, when I bought all those gens I was very fortunate, now I am less fortunate and I tend to lean more towards reps again. For me personally, the feeling when wearing it is the same with REP and GEN. I dont feel better wearing one or the other. The only time I really love my gens more then reps is when im sitting at the table, looking at my collection. Being proud about my collection. You can't say that with reps. But thats really the only moment.

Matter fact, when you are very fortunate, even the gen at some point get boring and you start to care less about its condition, you start swimming with it, being less careful, because you can always afford a repair or buy a new one. I guess the reason why i had so many gens is because i wanted something 'new', dopamine.. it gets boring fast believe me.

I think if you really want to enjoy a gen is when you worked for it very hard, but are not fortunate enough to buy 3-4 gens. You are proud of that 1 gen, any scratch matters.. your true trophy that you worked your ass off for.. That middle class group.. is usually the group that is most happy with their gen.

Now investment wise. Yes I bought most watches because I thought it was a good investment. Well let me tell you. Its not really. If you need to liquidate those assets you lose atleast 20% at a dealer. And you wont be able to sell a 30-50K watch as a private person easily. Trust me. And even if you can.. look at the market.. Most of my watches dropped in value after I purchased them, and then another 20% loss when liquidating them to a dealer. The only real good investments, as far as I know, are the more vintage daydates. Such as gold 18038/18238, those keep going up in value even tho the entire watch market (and entire economy) is going down. My 18038 went from 15k to 19k just this year alone. Can't say that about any other rolex sport model or AP.

Even my 15202, extra thin, I sold it to my dealer for 50K, and right now im following it in his website to see if he can sell it.. Hes been trying to sell it for 6 months now for 65K, which is REALLY cheap if you look at the market.. And still no buyers. No.. Watches in general are not a good investment at all. Only vintage pieces, that you buy for a very very sharp price, in good condition. But even then, if you wnt to liquidate it, your going to lose 20%. So if you would buy this as an investment, your first 2-3 years will not be profitable.

Hope this helps you guys
Great insight ! Thanks for sharing :)

injector

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
29/3/22

Hope this helps you guys
Holly shit, but i can understand the Patek Rubber : )

McMain

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/4/19
...because no one has cloned the sapphire sandwich yet :/

Powerfluff

27/2/21
owning a genuine watch can be a source of self-satisfaction for some people. For those who can't afford a genuine watch, they may opt to buy a replica instead. However, genuine watches have a certain movement, quality, and history that replicas cannot replicate.

Reactions: kilymaria

Andre04

Horology Curious
20/12/22
Oklahoma
I just bought a Grand Seiko sbga461 spring drive online. One of the most satisfying aspects of buying this watch was the confidence to buy it online knowing that I would instantly be able to tell that it’s the genuine and not a replica. The sweeping second movement of the spring drive is mesmerizing and will be extremely difficult to replicate this movement. I also appreciate and respect the game changing engineering of combining a mechanical and quartz watch into one without the need of a battery. Add in hand polishing of each case and you have an incredible, beautiful watch at a relatively good value. Yeah, I’m being cocky in challenging the the Chinese to replicate the silky smooth spring drive movement and it’s +1-1 second a day accuracy at a price under 2k. Can you guys do it?

Reactions: Hesekiel and joeyc

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
I just bought a Grand Seiko sbga461 spring drive online. One of the most satisfying aspects of buying this watch was the confidence to buy it online knowing that I would instantly be able to tell that it’s the genuine and not a replica. The sweeping second movement of the spring drive is mesmerizing and will be extremely difficult to replicate this movement. I also appreciate and respect the game changing engineering of combining a mechanical and quartz watch into one without the need of a battery. Add in hand polishing of each case and you have an incredible, beautiful watch at a relatively good value. Yeah, I’m being cocky in challenging the the Chinese to replicate the silky smooth spring drive movement and it’s +1-1 second a day accuracy at a price under 2k. Can you guys do it?
Your 200% correct, excellent taste

OmegaSpeedy

Horology Curious
5/12/22
USA
Prestige, snobbery, and knowing I wore genuine that will stand to scrutiny the test of time. ;)

I love the Rolex reps that I have (no-date sub and batgirl). I wear them more than my gen omegas and Rolexes. I will probably acquire a few more reps. However, I will gladly buy a brand new Sub, Pepsi GMT or Panda if I can get them at retail—Ditto with AP 15500, Vach 4500V, or PP 57111 (Ha!).

Last edited:

bangwang67

bang ❗️ bang 💥
Certified
22/3/22
EU
As many have stated here and from what I am reading, many buy gens to eventually resell but they can't pull the trigger to wear the gen daily so they buy the best quality reps as a means to wear without fear. Playing the AD game can be exhausting and people don't want to spend great sums before buying their desired watch and when they do received it, theres a need to preserve it or resell to make back their profits but also at the same a want to wear it nonstop without causing wear and tear to your new watch.

Cratty

Mine!
16/1/23
USA
Few reasons for me (own a mix of both gens and reps):
1. I wanted something that I can pass down someday.
2. Some watches don't have good clones (e.g. Speedmaster)
3. Personal, but I just like having some gens - I'm open with friends/family about my reps, but I feel like there's less judgement given they know I have some gens too. Maybe they don't give a shit, but eases my mind at least.

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Few reasons for me (own a mix of both gens and reps):
1. I wanted something that I can pass down someday.
2. Some watches don't have good clones (e.g. Speedmaster)
3. Personal, but I just like having some gens - I'm open with friends/family about my reps, but I feel like there's less judgement given they know I have some gens too. Maybe they don't give a shit, but eases my mind at least.
I feel your sentiment about it giving legitimacy on some level to others that you are a genuine watch guy

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16

Hope this helps you guys

I recognize myself in many parts of your great reading. Thank you for your contribution

Reactions: EASJR

Sagebrush

21/8/22
For me, it just comes down to higher quality, different feeling while wearing the watch, and less chance for headaches. Though with the way watch prices are going, I understand why more and more people are turning to higher tier reps.

Reactions: nousdefions

nousdefions

10/11/19
I have both gens and reps.

With the quality of the replicas today, I no longer dwell on the distinction between the two. For example, COSC accuracy is no longer a thing for me.

Why? Because if what I was truly looking for was to-the-second Atomic Clock-like accuracy, I'd just wear my Garmin Epix 2, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Pro, or simply a $50 Timex quartz watch, plus I always have my smartphone in my pocket.

I like the looks of my watches, reps or otherwise, thus I wear them.

Fifteen years ago, it was a whole other ballgame with reps. If you wanted your rep to look - and in most cases to behave - like the gen, you had yo just buy the gen.

Today, as technology advances have allowed the factories to produce never before seen appearance and build quality reps, those lines are blurred. This is particularly true with the more common watch complications such as normal three-hand movements, day-date, GMT, and the chronograp. The more niche complications will not be well repped for a long time, if ever.

Will a rep ever equal a gen? I doubt it; but they are close enough for my use case. So, to me, why spend $15k USD on a rep when I can get something that will give me the look and feel for about $600 USD? The remaining $14,400 USD, I'd might as well save or invest.

Repmaster1991

Horology Curious
25/1/19
I have a gen explorer and it does give me more of feeling like I achieved it or something. I know it's probably irrational, but since I worked hard to get that money it's a bit like a trophy for hard work.

Reactions: rolex4me

Jan2894

1/2/23
Spain

Hope this helps you guys
What a great contribution, propss!

nousdefions

10/11/19
I think that what @kartoffemeqnt is that he would only require to see papers/certificates of any high-end luxury watches that his friends or family wore; not that he would use fake papers or certificates to perpetuate a lie that a rep is a gen.

That being said, it would be odd, I think, for anyone to care that much about what anyone was wearing as to need to see proof. If a person lies to you, that's on them. If they present a fake as a gen for a watch they wear, they know in their heart that they are lying. That's it.

In the end, unless they are trying to sell you the watch as a gen when it is not (actually scamming you out of money), who really gives a f@ck what they wear? That's their affair.

Reactions: rolex4me

Torque124

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/3/21
After buying 7750 reps and learning how to fix them and becoming a semi watchmaker int he proces... I am only buying genuine moving forward. There is a huge difference between the 2 especially on the more complicated movements... the only rep I really value is the VSF hulk Rolex sub.. outstanding movement once stripped down and cleaned and oiled. It is a 2 sec per day movement with 65 hours power reserve (mine is).