• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
The reason Rolex is so expensive now is because they executed a master class in branding, marketing and convincing middle class people that somehow dropping 12k on a steel watch that was worth at max $1k was the epitome of success and social status, nothing to do with the actual quality or rarity of the watch.

My uncle had a friend who used to sell in grey market, he used to call Datejusts his bread and butter because he saw literally thousands of them in his 30+ year career, sell them. At one point it was actually more profitable to buy up gold Rolexes, melt down the gold, sell the rest of the parts for scraps...

There was a time when a Rolex Submariner was the equivalent of basically a slightly more expensive GShock...
For recent times, theres a bit more to the story. Rolex really became a strong investment within the last few years, were the average joe will buy a Rolex as a steady investment instead of putting the money into a portfolio or crypto(lol), because of the volatility. I remember walking into Gearys in 2017 and seeing Daytonas, SS Subs and GMT Masters.

Reactions: Sunsoutg69

OI812

17/3/06
The reason Rolex is so expensive now is because they executed a master class in branding, marketing and convincing middle class people that somehow dropping 12k on a steel watch that was worth at max $1k was the epitome of success and social status, nothing to do with the actual quality or rarity of the watch.

My uncle had a friend who used to sell in grey market, he used to call Datejusts his bread and butter because he saw literally thousands of them in his 30+ year career, sell them. At one point it was actually more profitable to buy up gold Rolexes, melt down the gold, sell the rest of the parts for scraps...

There was a time when a Rolex Submariner was the equivalent of basically a slightly more expensive GShock...
I TOTALLY agree with you Reap, again....

I will say this, Rolex executed "their master plan" (and I agree, brilliant marketing) long before the almost unexplainable explosion in Rolex prices/values we've witnessed in the 2000's.

It also appears (from the outside) to be, more or less, the same marketing strategy plan year after year after year. The exception being their total reorganization of Tudor into it's own brand.

I bought/ sold/ traded quite a few of em over about a 20 year period ending in '05. Also Panerai, Omega, Zenith, etc etc. I dealt with 2 or 3 of the largest grey market guys of the time, etc. I was NOT a major player, just a small time side gig/hobby.... but I was pretty serious for a WIS. So I do have a small amount of personal experience in regards to how the watch game is played.... maybe better to say, used to be played.

However, to deny the growth of China's GDP and the opening of its markets (1.5 billion untapped) to western goods and services isn't reality. I can't believe that's what you're saying....

Reactions: nothingwasthesame

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
I TOTALLY agree with you Reap, again....

I will say this, Rolex executed "their master plan" (and I agree, brilliant marketing) long before the almost unexplainable explosion in Rolex prices/values we've witnessed in the 2000's.

It also appears (from the outside) to be, more or less, the same marketing strategy plan year after year after year. The exception being their total reorganization of Tudor into it's own brand.

I bought/ sold/ traded quite a few of em over about a 20 year period ending in '05. Also Panerai, Omega, Zenith, etc etc. I dealt with 2 or 3 of the largest grey market guys of the time, etc. I was NOT a major player, just a small time side gig/hobby.... but I was pretty serious for a WIS. So I do have a small amount of personal experience in regards to how the watch game is played.... maybe better to say, used to be played.

However, to deny the growth of China's GDP and the opening of its markets (1.5 billion untapped) to western goods and services isn't reality. I can't believe that's what you're saying....
China contributed to luxury good growth in prices, but Rolex and Patek and AP were always going to increase prices no matter what. China and the Asian luxury market probably is only 30% of the blame.

If anything I squarely place the last 4 years of craziness on America - the rampant 0% interest covid loans that basically led to people throwing money in whatever asset class they could find if they could even squeeze 2% gains out of it (wait until you see what it did to VHS tapes...)

Reactions: strawman

strawman

Getting To Know The Place
18/7/23
Italy
China contributed to luxury good growth in prices, but Rolex and Patek and AP were always going to increase prices no matter what. China and the Asian luxury market probably is only 30% of the blame.

If anything I squarely place the last 4 years of craziness on America - the rampant 0% interest covid loans that basically led to people throwing money in whatever asset class they could find if they could even squeeze 2% gains out of it (wait until you see what it did to VHS tapes...)

Here is THE point.
My friend bought a second hand Hulk for 30k, put it in the bank and waiting for reselling it at 40k.
Now the value is below 20k but of course he is not selling because he doesn't need money and he doesn't want to realise the loss.
That's 90% of "investors" market: sitting on big stock hoping values will go up again.
That's a potential bomb.

Paolo1966

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
22/7/21
because a Gen will be always a gen.. a good option are franken watches ..you don’t loose money and your watch will looks like for the 90/95% like a gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Granater123

Sunsoutg69

Do not accept unsolicited offers
10/7/23
London
Not so much answering why I buy gens but rather why I buy reps.

I’m a big Rolex fan, not up on all the model numbers and variations but I just love the look. Date-Just, Day-Date, Daytona and Subs/GMTs, everything from the crown to the way Rolex is written and just how simple yet timeless and memorable the designs are (to my eye at least).

Believe me when I say that I’ve looked at every brand and nothing appeals to me like a Rolex. I like Seamasters but not the same way I like the sub.

So that leaves me in a bind as I don’t have the kind of money to drop £10k on a watch (though £6k on a modest Date-Just I could justify). I love the £2-5k price range and you can get real bang for your buck from great brands, but it’s not a Rolex!!!

Remembering that I can’t actually get a £6k DJ due to waitlists etc, I actually dropped a few grand on a Tudor Royal Date Day as it gave me a flavour of the DJ or DD. Immediately felt unsatisfied wearing it, even though I love it and can see the quality etc.

Looked at Homage watches like Steinhart and Davosa which I still may buy, but it’s not the same. The number one goal isn’t to fool people, it’s more to have a 1:1 replica and homages have their own brand logo and small variations. One more thing is that I genuinely wouldn’t be comfortable wearing a £10k+ watch daily for so many reasons; theft (plus potential murder with it), looking out of place against the rest of my lifestyle and potential friction it would create from people that would see it as obnoxious or indulgent etc.

Therefore, I got a gen and to me it wrks like an homage. Looks great, I know it’s not real but that’s fine by me and actually helps me enjoy wearing it more.

Now what I really want is the GMT Batman on Jubillee bracelet (so batgirl?) but I ain’t got £15k to buy via a trader and prob wouldn’t put of principle anyway.

Side note: the situation with grey market is pretty awful IMO. I fee like Rolex let it get that way.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

this was on my wrist at the beach today...the italian bartender just saw a flash when I paid.

and he said Complementi! Bella! pointing at my wrist.. And I am convinced I am handsome but not that handsome

• Haha
Reactions: Route66

Sumo86

8/1/23
Uk

The brand. The history. 2 centuries of craftsmanship.

I'll keep the £3.6k in my pocket for fun money 🤑

OcarinaOfTime

Time Traveler
Certified
15/10/20
Germany

this was on my wrist at the beach today...the italian bartender just saw a flash when I paid.

and he said Complementi! Bella! pointing at my wrist.. And I am convinced I am handsome but not that handsome
Is this a CF? Did you go swimming with it? I just ordered one from CTime + Deep xtal + waterproofing. However, it can only be modded to 2 bar (20 meters) water resistance, which would definitely not be enough to going swimming.

However, maybe it’s one of these models where the factory is just too humble and it’s actually WP to 100 meters… 😬

OcarinaOfTime

Time Traveler
Certified
15/10/20
Germany
While waiting for the Clean Daytona, I don’t wear my gen 126710BLRO very much, as I am too afraid to get it scratched, while hearing rumors everywhere that it will be discontinued (and thus more worth in the future). That’s another downside of gens. I would never care so much for a Clean Pepsi.

Reactions: Storm.

repdoc3

Known Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
19/3/24
NC
While I have a number of gens both modern and vintage, I seldom find much to love about modern watches as they seem mostly to be a rehash of the classics just less classic.

To enjoy a gen I sincerely believe you need to find it interesting and something that you bond with before even putting it on. I know my tastes lean towards vintage pieces (love my old Tudors, especially my air tiger, Rolex air lion l, air giant etc, omega seamaster memomatic and flightmaster ) and odd modern pieces like Geral Genta and Vincent calabrese. The last modern major brand pieces I found interesting was the original release of JL rêverso grande sport, the sky dweller, and the RMs just because the materials used are interesting and the tech behind them is pretty darn cool.

If want to test drive a modern Rolex model, or omega I would honestly buy rep. That being said if I did like what I saw I might consider buying a gen I just can’t get past the waiting 2-5 years for one to pop up at my AD so I can spend $10k. I can generally find some amazing vintage pieces in the meantime to fill up my watch boxes but to each their own.
The Omega Memomatic is a true gem. I love the built in analog alarm! I have 6 gen vintage Omegas. What I like about Omega is that they (at least in the past) weren't afraid to try bold designs. Look at the case on the Flightmaster, for example.

USA IN STOCK

Hello, I'm Melissa
Trusted Dealer
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
USA
Initially for me, I bought genuine because I did not realize the quality that could be found in replicas.
If I'm honest with myself, I feel a little better about what I'm wearing when I wear my genuine watches, but my replica models generate a lot of attention too.

Reactions: Hec and Karbon74

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
My watches,gen and rep, don't generate attention. Not that I care or am looking for it

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
I'm a well dressed man who doesn't get attention from my attire nor my watches. It doesn't matter to me. I dress to my standards not anybody else's.

Reactions: tkingjr