• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

Charlesies

Do not accept unsolicited offers
12/1/24
Im new here and my interest in reps has changed a little over the years. I used to be very against them. Now i think its a nice opportunity to try it out before you buy the real thing. I wouldnt wear a fake in public. What if someone compliments you? The world has enough fakery as it is.

One thing I like about all those reps nowadays is that I feel safer wearing the real thing. Because someone up to no good might assume its a fake. (since the rest of my clothes doesnt really convey that i can afford and own the real thing).

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
lol. And that will be the first dive most of those subs will ever see.
LOL, yes.
The Submariner is a great watch, it's just way overpriced. Realistically it should retail for around 3 grand ($1000 to make it*, $1000 for Rolex and $1000 for the retailer)and would do so if it weren't for the insane amounts Rolex spend on sponsorships and promotions. Back int he '70s it retailed for the equivilient of around 2 grand today but like so many things ity's now all about the fashion not the utility.

*$1000 to make it is being very generous, it's more like 800 I'd say.

Reactions: Karbon74

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Agreed

Personally I can’t stomach the thought of dumping 10k on a watch only made of steel and a massive portion of that 10k is just paying for their advertising.

And the cost of the raw materials used is a pittance.

Marketing genius by Rolex though I have to say
10 k ?

A 15400 SS is 34.000 $ ...it is a circus show art this point for some brands.

Some brands , we all know which ones !

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Having dabbled in pricing strategy in my career, optimal pricing is not cost+plus, it’s determined as how much people are willing to pay and how many of them exist.

Reactions: RepPossessed

FlamingMontains

Known Member
Patron
16/10/23
Agreed

Personally I can’t stomach the thought of dumping 10k on a watch only made of steel and a massive portion of that 10k is just paying for their advertising.

And the cost of the raw materials used is a pittance.

Marketing genius by Rolex though I have to say

I only buy gen PM pieces now. I recently bought a gen Pepsi and I straight up can't tell a difference from my rep except for when I am setting the time. Gen feels way smoother. I'm planning to sell the Pepsi to fund the 18K Gold Jubilee YG GMT.

munichman

25/3/24
Munich, Germany
A 15400 SS is 34.000 $ ...it is a circus show art this point for some brands.
List price for my AP 16202 is ~ 35k €, grey market is around 70k €.
I really love my 16202 and I would be willing to buy a gen, but the difference in price is just so outrageous that it will never happen.
The rep has some minor glitches, with the gen probably having other ones, but nevertheless I am not willing to pay 175 times more for the gen, no matter what.
AP makes around 1 billion Euro revenue per year and probably more than 300 mio Euro profit with that.
Not with my support.

Reactions: Karbon74