• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy gens?

ZX_RR

Horology Curious
Supporter
10/4/24
In my opinion, if you buy a gen and wear it every day is going to get scratched and will inevitably lose value i.e. if you want to maximise investment you wouldn't wear it, or not regularly at least. Even vintage models, a pristine vintage is worth more than a scratched one. For this reason reps make a very compelling case if you plan daily use (you are not eroding thousands of $ while using it).

Can be a good investment if you buy it and keep it in the drawers / store it, and even then it requires 10 years minimum to appreciate 'materially' (unless you time the market perfectly) and also finding a buyer willing to choose yours over many others, which can take a long time. To me it doesn't make sense.

The stock market offers a variety of investment opportunities, as well as liquidity / ability to get out of the investment when you want.

I'd buy a gen if I can afford it, plan to wear it and keep for a long time, not to expect a large capital gain.

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Funny. I've worn an elegant blue Air King 14000 for over 18 months, no compliments or remarks what so ever.

I 've had my fake Sub - which everyone and their gran has - for like a week and two people have already complimented me on what a great watch I'm wearing.

Gives me Matrix vibes.
That is model-related, the regular Joe does not know or does not recognize the beautiful Air King, while the Sub is the mist know watch ever...or one of the mist known(y)

Reactions: Oldenbarnevelt

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Hi. I'm new at this - but enthusiastic none the less! So I'd like to ask this as a question please. Does this make sense?

When I'm traveling internationally I'll travel with one of my gens - mostly Breitling. I register the gen with customs before I leave. Why risk any delays or other issues with customs?

I'm picking up my first Rep to see if I really like the watch. If I do, and depending on how much then I can consider picking up the Gen and flipping the Rep.

Does this make sense?
I think you WILL like it , which Breitling did yiu choose ?

This is another big advantage of Reps, you can choose not common colour / material combination with no worries !

Oldenbarnevelt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/23
Belgium
Also an interesting factor is related to the cost gap

If the difference on cost between Rep and Gen is too small, I'd rather have the Gen. I saw a Breitling Navitimer 8 with Gen Eta on this forum once. I was very tempted, but missed out because I felt you might as well pay up extra 2k and go gen.

However is the difference is absurdly big, like a platinum Daytona, I feel the saying "The biggest tell is you" has a lot of truth to it. It's a bit silly for me to be flaunting a 100k watch.

I guess most Rolexes are in that sweet spot where the rep looks exactly the same at 3-6% of the cost.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
If I am to believe all the shop is telling me , they are in the process of repairing under warranty with official parts from Cartier. It’s unfortunate this place is the only shop around with a Cartier account I’m getting older and older by the minute waiting for them. I sure hope after all of this, the watch doesn’t have to go back for a third time. Ugh.
Just got updated. The watch was worked on but didn't pass QC. The reversing wheel was replaced and it still isn't repaired

Just goes to show reps can be better than gens when it comes to service.