• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Haha that’s the problem.

“They just don’t look like an AP”

+1

i wear pam, b&r, rolex, g-shock etc but deep inside my heart races when I see a ROO or a Royal Oak or a Diver..

legend i know for you it’s argent de poche but if a gen was 2x the cost of a franken i’d buy gen all along...

​​​​​​​

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Al, why not post some pics of the Franken APs you are currently working on for your clients?

That distinction and privilege remains all yours J. When it comes to the assembly of AP frankens in the business there’s only a very select few and then there’s the second tier guys like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Revolper

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
+1

i wear pam, b&r, rolex, g-shock etc but deep inside my heart races when I see a ROO or a Royal Oak or a Diver..

legend i know for you it’s argent de poche but if a gen was 2x the cost of a franken i’d buy gen all along...

​​​​​​​

Yes I do understand that about you and the rest of the hardcore AP guys. My justification for saying 2.5-3x is based on the assumption that a full franken rubberclad (or navy, safari, volcano for example ) with gen dial, tachy and hands will cost around $5k easy. Nothing casual at all. A used gen of the same models listed above will be around $12-15k.
Not saying that the AP crazies here take this into consideration, (I get it that for people like slaughterer62 it’s about the journey than the destination) but cost wise the typical AP franken can make sense to people when coupled with the rest of their motivations for building/buying one.

Most of the owners here, I’ll add [mention]Revolper [/mention] and Lory to this list, are guys who can go out and buy the gen but simply prefer to travel this exotic route. The amount flying tommy spent on his frankens far exceed the cost of 2-3 gen ROOs at least. I understand it’s a hobby which takes special motivation and passion to pursue and in most these cases it’s not even a question of affordability. One can even argue that franken owners take a lot more pride and appreciation in their builds than gen owners. I also agree that gen ownership can be one dimensional in comparison: you buy a watch and own it and wear it. There is no intimacy involved which comes from building the watch and maintaining it. In contrast, a skillful builder like slaughterer can literally put together enough experience and knowledge and skills to
give a full lecture on every detail about building an AP franken from scratch and this is something which can never be found among gen watch owners.
This is the same reason I respect what the frankens and their owners are about, you guys are a special breed found nowhere else on earth.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Arrived today. It's a amazing color that'll blowing your mind.its like an Signal Color. I'm really looking forward to the watch.

Perfect for the summer.

37c015131dd4ed1a09a97b58c429fdbe.jpg

ee0f4a64067fb689b6bcba084666636f.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Gorgeous, love how uniformly the numeral wells are filled with orange, the precise tone of the orange, and how crisp the mega tapisserie looks yet the black is so glossy it looks like the paint is still wet. It’s these details that make all the difference, and what gets me staring at these dials even before they’re installed.

Congrats on another great project. Please post a tour of your current collection sometime Tommy.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Gorgeous, love how uniformly the numeral wells are filled with orange, the precise tone of the orange, and how crisp the mega tapisserie looks yet the black is so glossy it looks like the paint is still wet. It’s these details that make all the difference, and what gets me staring at these dials even before they’re installed.

Congrats on another great project. Please post a tour of your current collection sometime Tommy.

I had a Volcano Franken for personal use, and I loved wearing it, then I took it apart for some reason, and the parts are in storage now. Stupid me. Looking at Tommy's photos, I do not know why more people do not gravitate towards Volcano/Lava, as like the BumbleBee, it is good in both rep and Franken form. (Yes I think the JF and Noob Volcano dials were very good, as is the JF BB dial too). To feed into the considerations legend is developing, I think the attraction of Franken building is not only the whole lengthy story of finding, accumulating each piece (like we see lately with FlyingTommy), and then assembling each of these pieces into a whole, but also the fact that it is like getting a gen on an installment plan. $1000 for gen hands this month, another $650 for a donor next month, maybe the month after that finally get a LWO 283, etc. This is a more gradual expenditure of capital over time rather than the $20-30k lump sum from bank account to boutique ledger instantaneously managed via some payment platform or credit card. It is no doubt a life event to get a gen, but seeing the bank balance go down like that in such a short amount of time is no doubt something that can elicit the "oof" (long drawn out exhale) and maybe later the "why did I do that?" (crickets). Getting each part separately allows an owner to individually appreciate the detailed artistry in each little component, and study that component in anticipation of its use later on. Whereas unboxing a gen is like an experience of the mathematical sublime where the mind cannot really synthesize a whole perception of all the details.

Audemars1991

Looking Around
6/3/20
Hey

I just got a Offshore Navy from a Member and that watch had to Go the Franken way.

I just ordered a Original strap. But Perhaps some of you could help me.

I would like to „Smooth“ the steel braclet and make this 2 Areas in the Photo Perfect.

Do somebody knows somebody who can do this?

Reactions: wNe and Revolper

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
... and make this 2 Areas in the Photo Perfect.

Do somebody knows somebody who can do this?

For all of the supposed quality advances JF made in the hey-day years when they were pumping out one AP ROO rep model after another, the pusher cut-out on JF mid-cases was often very sloppily made by comparison to Noob. When you work on it, please be very careful: the pusher cut-out is a difficult and fragile area of the mid-case, and you need to be very careful with it because of the thinness of the metal in that area. You really do not want to widen it too much as then too much of the rubber chrono pusher head will be exposed and the watch will be an eye-sore forever.

Reactions: flying-tommy

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
I bought a Franken grill tongs today.

28c0c7269c9f0874336b8f009a479f4a.png

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

So that must be the tongs used to flip the 10 CHF sausages at Baselworld...

Too bad baselworld is now a thing from yesterday... no more sausages...

EDIT: my bad that AP wasn’t even a part of Baselworld... LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Jurgenk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
So that must be the tongs used to flip the 10 CHF sausages at Baselworld...

Too bad baselworld is now a thing from yesterday... no more sausages...

EDIT: my bad that AP wasn’t even a part of Baselworld... LOL

It’s just back to plain old Basel now. And well-deserved too.

Reactions: Allure