• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Hi everyone, this one of mine AP Offshore Rose Gold & Carbon '' QE II Cup 2016 '' 44mm.

Wrong thread buddy. Post in ”What AP do you use today” thread. This thread is for Franken watches

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Reactions: Revolper

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Lol. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Revolper

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Arrived today:)

9a018e9230f583e9df3b16d71567c8bb.jpg

e580f8cc22c8715d4058aeede0de5d74.jpg

0597a5f7f35acca1f00c2366ecbdc2ac.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
What’s really beautiful for me. The blue is very dark and looks like black in the evening.

The Dial color is a mix from the old RGRC Gray and the Elephant, not too bright and not too dark.

75d6acc2fbcaebd9afdcfc77a5637f0b.jpg

e3800dc5dcdeaf1a55ac167530df0d3c.jpg

Champsy

15/4/18
UK
Arrived today. It's a amazing color that'll blowing your mind.its like an Signal Color. I'm really looking forward to the watch.

Perfect for the summer.

37c015131dd4ed1a09a97b58c429fdbe.jpg

ee0f4a64067fb689b6bcba084666636f.jpg

Sometimes think you guys are absolutely crazy but then get excited when builds like this come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: flying-tommy

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Sometimes think you guys are absolutely crazy but then get excited when builds like this come along.

A well-built AP franken isn't a watch which makes sense: you can buy a gen Tudor, IWC, Franck Muller, Panerai and other brand watches with the money spent.
But the issue is that none of them will look like an AP haha.
It does make sense when you compare it to the price of the gen, which is typically at least about 2.5-3x the price of the franken, and you get a watch which looks 80-90% of the gen (in my visual estimation)
You get a nice looking watch which resembles an AP, and the visual appeal of the end product is often enough to satisfy the wearer. There is a price you can put on the watch but owner satisfaction is a subjective and personal aspect, and the worth of it is defined by the owner alone.

I do look forward to builds by guys like flying-tommy and Jurgenk . These guys know their APs and do the best they can within the constraints of the rep/aftermarket parts. I will also like to commend both their attitudes when it comes to their frankens: both adopt a no-nonsense, "tell it as it is" approach when sharing their watches, without the need to embellish or sensationalize their watches like others do. Thank you for being anchors of our community when it comes to the AP frankens corner. I do follow your builds and I do feel the same thrill seeing your watches come to fruition. Please keep up the excellent work.

Last edited:

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
A well-built AP franken isn't a watch which makes sense: you can buy a gen Tudor, IWC, Franck Muller, Panerai and other brand watches with the money spent.
It does make sense when you compare it to the price of the gen, which is typically at least about 2.5-3x the price of the franken, and you get a watch which looks 80-90% of the gen (in my visual estimation)
You get a nice looking watch which resembles an AP, and the visual appeal of the end product is often enough to satisfy the wearer. There is a price you can put on the watch but owner satisfaction is a subjective and personal aspect, and the worth of it is defined by the owner alone.

I do look forward to builds by guys like flying-tommy and Jurgenk . These guys know their APs and do the best they can within the constraints of the rep/aftermarket parts. I will also like to commend both their attitudes when it comes to their frankens: both adopt a no-nonsense, "tell it as it is" approach when sharing their watches, without the need to embellish or sensationalize their watches like others do. Thank you for being anchors of our community when it comes to the AP frankens corner. I do follow your builds and I do feel the same thrill seeing your watches come to fruition. Please keep up the excellent work.

You really think frankening APs is about getting gen-like watches for 2/3 less? It’s way more than that and you know it :)

Last edited:

Champsy

15/4/18
UK

Haha that’s the problem.

“They just don’t look like an AP” which is the issue I keep having trying other brands.

If I had the skills to put one of these together myself like some of the talent here then I certainly wouldn’t resist and totally understand that part of it.

Once built would I then be happy with the end product, probably not just because I know what I’ve spent on something that still isn’t an AP but some of these builds are really nice to look at.

Still I bet it doesn’t stop me trying one soon and passing on a week later.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13

Al, why not post some pics of the Franken APs you are currently working on for your clients?

Reactions: Jurgenk