• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF VS3135 Submariner Comparison Against the Gen

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
You gotta be shitting me right? Nitpicking on lug reflection. Nothing China makes will be good enough for you then. Go buy a gen and be done with it. These are 90% there already. Reps are reps. If they were 100% then no one would wanna buy gens. Geez..

Completely valid points though. I’m not sure about you but I’m getting a little tired of paying a fraction of the cost for a rep built in a dirty factory by minimum wage workers that’s not identical to the gen. It’s also ridiculous how many times I’ve been called out for the mm difference in the case while my wrist has been conveniently within inches of someone’s face tilted on multiple angels for a period of time that allows them to review it in-depth with their x10 zoomed bionic eyes.

If it’s not that it’s spotted from across the room that it’s not actually 904l steel. These factory owners should be disgusted and owe every rwi member an explanation. Down right shocking customer service.

Last edited:

tjdilla

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/12
In my opinion, it really depends on you and it can’t be stated that is always an overkill. When we talk about 114060 crystals yes, they don’t have the cyclop, but they still have other distinctive features, such as the edge finish. More importantly Rolex gen crystals for that model have at the same time a distinctive clarity for a non ar crystal (that very often rep crystals don’t have, see zzf v2 crystal that made the dial look dull) and an amazing reflectivity. We all have in mind that image of a gen rolex crystal that reflects light. This is something I notice in real life and on the wrist. Not saying this is a tell or something but some people may just want to have the same feeling/clarity.

i personally would disagree.

Having held a gen 114060 and a zzf no date side by side under multiple different light condition the crystal is exactly the same.

Tete

4/11/16
The rep should not be perfect or not to lie to people, but to ourselves, to enjoy something "similar". It would not occur to me to go to work with my Zzf v2 when my boss has a gene and the difference is enormous. I had gen 116610ln for five years and I have not yet found a rep that is similar (by this I do not mean that they do not have quality or are not beautiful). Crazy would I put my Zzf near his Gen

Last edited:

Kayatsu1

Certified
12/10/19
i personally would disagree.

Having held a gen 114060 and a zzf no date side by side under multiple different light condition the crystal is exactly the same.

Agree with your disagreement: in fact current no date zzf crystals are among the few ones that are really close to gen. But not all rep crystals are.

Kayatsu1

Certified
12/10/19
The rep should not be perfect or not to lie to people, but to ourselves, to enjoy something "similar". It would not occur to me to go to work with my Zzf v2 when my boss has a gene and the difference is enormous. I had gen 116610ln for five years and I have not yet found a rep that is similar (by this I do not mean that they do not have quality or are not beautiful). Crazy would I put my Zzf near his Gen

I agree with you idea, majority of people here don’t want to fool people (it’s just a nice hobby), but it feels very uncomfortable when you meet someone with the real thing in social situations when it will be embarrassing to say you have a rep (with your boss for example). You’re aware to have a rep and you notice that the real thing just shines differently and your mind plays a part telling you that there are even more differences.
In my opinion there are three main things that gives you that gen aura, that are the most visible three on a watch on the wrist: 1) crystal 2) insert 3) steel shine. If you are able to correct those three you can carry your watch with you without “fearing” certain social situations. All those three things are improving in reps hopefully.

This is only my opinion.

Daytonamania

Fomo Sapien
Supporter
Certified
4/3/20
Completely valid points though. I’m not sure about you but I’m getting a little tired of paying a fraction of the cost for a rep built in a dirty factory by minimum wage workers that’s not identical to the gen. It’s also ridiculous how many times I’ve been called out for the mm difference in the case while my wrist has been conveniently within inches of someone’s face tilted on multiple angels for a period of time that allows them to review it in-depth with their x10 zoomed bionic eyes.

If it’s not that it’s spotted from across the room that it’s not actually 904l steel. These factory owners should be disgusted and owe every rwi member an explanation. Down right shocking customer service.

:rollingonthefloor: :rollingonthefloor: :rollingonthefloor:

Kayatsu1

Certified
12/10/19

Normal people, even gen owners, 1) do not care for what you have on your wrist 2) won’t able to spot a single difference on the wrist, especially with reps getting better. It’s your mind that plays a role. However it is true that a bunch of experienced people from this forum (not me, but truly experienced modders and others) could see differences. But this is a non problem since if they are able to spot your watch they are RWI bros and very likely you will end up in front of a coffee pleasantly discussing on how much it will take to have first 126610 reps.

Tete

4/11/16
I agree with you idea, majority of people here don’t want to fool people (it’s just a nice hobby), but it feels very uncomfortable when you meet someone with the real thing in social situations when it will be embarrassing to say you have a rep (with your boss for example). You’re aware to have a rep and you notice that the real thing just shines differently and your mind plays a part telling you that there are even more differences.
In my opinion there are three main things that gives you that gen aura, that are the most visible three on a watch on the wrist: 1) crystal 2) insert 3) steel shine. If you are able to correct those three you can carry your watch with you without “fearing” certain social situations. All those three things are improving in reps hopefully.

This is only my opinion.

When I receive my VSF I want to take it to my watchmaker, he brushes and polishes very well, he does it daily with gen, he gives the case a slightly thicker brushing than that of the bracelet as the sub gen comes. And it can make a big difference. When I do I will put photos and we will see if it is really worth doing.

Kayatsu1

Certified
12/10/19
When I receive my VSF I want to take it to my watchmaker, he brushes and polishes very well, he does it daily with gen, he gives the case a slightly thicker brushing than that of the bracelet as the sub gen comes. And it can make a big difference. When I do I will put photos and we will see if it is really worth doing.

Thanks, I am curious to see them.

Reactions: Tete

Tete

4/11/16
Normal people, even gen owners, 1) do not care for what you have on your wrist 2) won’t able to spot a single difference on the wrist, especially with reps getting better. It’s your mind that plays a role. However it is true that a bunch of experienced people from this forum (not me, but truly experienced modders and others) could see differences. But this is a non problem since if they are able to spot your watch they are RWI bros and very likely you will end up in front of a coffee pleasantly discussing on how much it will take to have first 126610 reps.

Strongly agree, hardly anyone will notice, it's because of me. I've been in love with it since the 116610 went on sale, I had it for 5 years, and I just ask the factories for a little more attention to the case. The bezels, dials, crown, movement are amazing ... a little more attention to the case would make it almost identical.

Reactions: BiH855

Yadda Yadda

Do not accept unsolicited offers
23/4/18
There is nothing wrong with the current sub reps. What needs fixing is the self esteem of the wearer as well as the immoral urge to deceive others regarding the legality of their watch. Validating one's worth based on the opinion of others is just pathetic.

Rubberman

Forever young
Certified
9/12/17

Comparing photoshopped/ rendered images to reps is sooo 2015...

Hahahaha! I didn't see that! Good catch there!
Nah, I'm not praising or downvoting this by pointing out this, I myself have one on order.
Just wanted to instill that no rep is really perfect, inconsistency/deviation is there but we're sometime too excited to celebrate and didn't see it (yet).

Tete

4/11/16
Does anyone know if Tete has ever owned a Gen Rolex (for five years)?

that question is left over my friend !! Why am I going to lie? I have had many Gen, because maybe a long time ago I earned more in a month than you will earn in your whole life !!! .... and now returning to the topic ... let's continue with the demand to the factories that this is what this forum is for, oh or was it the other way around ... which is to praise something that is not well finished and correct?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
that question is left over my friend !! Why am I going to lie? I have had many Gen, because maybe a long time ago I earned more in a month than you will earn in your whole life !!! .... and now returning to the topic ... let's continue with the demand to the factories that this is what this forum is for, oh or was it the other way around ... which is to praise something that is not well finished and correct?

I think he was making fun of you mentioning you owned a genuine 116610 on every single post. And I also think, by reading your last post, that he actually was quite accurate in his satire.

Tete

4/11/16
I think he was making fun of you mentioning you owned a genuine 116610 on every single post. And I also think, by reading your last post, that he actually was quite accurate in his satire.

Thank you!! I've said it several times because I know what I'm talking about, and apart from that I see this model on my boss's wrist every day and at less than 10 meters, and the feeling of the case is completely different. That we have a Vsf or Zzf and we think they are 1: 1, it is not! And I say it again, I enjoy all my rep (Noob v7, V6, GMT V2, Arf OP39, Arf DJ 41 ...) but let it get out of our heads that they are similar to gen !!!

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
I have a gen AirKing.
When side by side, with some reps, I notice something on the polishing work.
But only when they are side by side...

Separately, you won't tell.

2020-10-04-01-33-29.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rel

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Thank you!! I've said it several times because I know what I'm talking about, and apart from that I see this model on my boss's wrist every day and at less than 10 meters, and the feeling of the case is completely different. That we have a Vsf or Zzf and we think they are 1: 1, it is not! And I say it again, I enjoy all my rep (Noob v7, V6, GMT V2, Arf OP39, Arf DJ 41 ...) but let it get out of our heads that they are similar to gen !!!

I think you need to look up “similar” in the dictionary. They are similar, perfect no, they obviously should be as you’re paying top dollar though eh. In a previous post you openly agree they aren’t perfect while examining still zoomed pictures or your in-depth review of your bosses sub from less than 10 meters away while also wanting to send your watch away to get brushed and make it perfect even though they are completely different and expecting them to be perfect for the price point.

I’m not quite following. But maybe I’m just not quite on the same level of salary and earning potential as you to comprehend, whatever relevance that has. Do post some additional pictorial reviews and maybe add some little red lines across the watch so we can discuss how the markers are uneven.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Okay, let's keep this as straighforward and simple as it is.
- Rolex is a luxury brand name that even people with no knowledge have at least heard about, very few may recognize one without seeing the actual name.
- In the very unlikely event they spot one on your wrist they might ask you if it's real, as not many people can afford owning one. (If you're wearing a Patek that would probably never happen.)
- If you conspicuously wear a Rolex rep around men that need expensive watches to flex - like your boss might do - you may get called out.
- If you think the latter is embarrassing, you should simply not wear a top tier luxury rep in those environments.
- Finally, it's only a piece of superfluous male jewelry ffs; talking about half a micrometer here or there and displaying an ignorance on photon interaction with metals makes us look pretty silly IMHO.