• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Updated Royal Oak Tourbillon by R8 Factory are out

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
I wonder what your opinion is about the size of the hands base. I found it marginally larger than that of the gen:

zpbalK.jpg

Reactions: dogwood

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU

Do you think the watch needs a custom dial regarding the dial color, the surface and marker finishing?

Have you compared your watch with pics/videos of gens? If so then do you think the size of the hands base is Ok or annoyingly larger?

drmario

Horology Curious
2/9/22
Moscow
Do you think the watch needs a custom dial regarding the dial color, the surface and marker finishing?

Have you compared your watch with pics/videos of gens? If so then do you think the size of the hands base is Ok or annoyingly larger?
There is not much thicker when compared to the original.
As for the finish, its rough texture is not the same as gen, it should be painted with fine alumina and be darker.
I also didn’t like that the tourbillon itself was in oil and oxide, I had to polish it and the hands were dirty.

Reactions: grillbrill

EASJR

Certified
21/9/12
New York, NY
Ok. So here it is. After a long wait, my R8F gray tourby has arrived. He’s a big boy! A lot thicker and wider than my v5 blue dial. And that is bigger than my gen 15400.

Ok enough talk. Let the pics speak for themselves. And a box shot for good measure. Anyone who wants to play “spot the gens” have at it. I’ve given you a good head start.

PS - my pride and joy, the Montauk Highway (super modded from different versions; two years in the making) will be going up for sale soon if any of you AP lovers want first crack at it.

Reactions: Guiltycat and SHB

EASJR

Certified
21/9/12
New York, NY
Ok. So here it is. After a long wait, my R8F gray tourby has arrived. He’s a big boy! A lot thicker and wider than my v5 blue dial. And that is bigger than my gen 15400.

Ok enough talk. Let the pics speak for themselves. And a box shot for good measure. Anyone who wants to play “spot the gens” have at it. I’ve given you a good head start.

PS - my pride and joy, the Montauk Highway (super modded from different versions; two years in the making) will be going up for sale soon if any of you AP lovers want first crack at it.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

Looks pretty thick, thank you for the pics. What do you think of it on the wrist?

EASJR

Certified
21/9/12
New York, NY
It’s a beautiful dial. Maybe a smidge darker than the hen in low light but it stands up almost like an ROO. Maybe that’s a slight exaggeration but definitely feels a bit “off” especially since I (and I think most watch enthusiasts) have been favoring thinner lower profile watches lately - think 15202, 5711, aquanaut vs the ROO behemoths of years past. But that could just be me or my inaccurate observation.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
The real one, but it works very poorly with this rotor due to the high resistance and there is no inversion in the mechanism, it only starts in one direction

Is that high resistance only present in the wound condition of the watch or always? My ZF 15202 with the stock Miyota movement and rotor hardly auto-winds when the watch is on full power.

Guiltycat

Supporter
Certified
31/8/22
The real one, but it works very poorly with this rotor due to the high resistance and there is no inversion in the mechanism, it only starts in one direction

There’s almost no resistance on my rotor, it spins freely. When the watch has fully stopped it starts moving again when I pick it up with slight movement.

I can hear it wind when I turn the watch clockwise and not counterclockwise. Looking at your image it looks kind of crazy that it’s just stuck on like that..

Guiltycat

Supporter
Certified
31/8/22

When I received it the little plate covering the rotor screw was loose and blocked the rotor from moving. so I had to open it up and place it back in the centre.

The sapphire on the case back was pushed too deep on my one and caused friction on the rotor( which made it unable to spin freely). I pressed it out very slightly and the rotor was able to move freely.

Reactions: grillbrill

drmario

Horology Curious
2/9/22
Moscow
By twitching my wrist, I managed to start the clock without a rotor, they worked for several minutes!

EASJR

Certified
21/9/12
New York, NY

Ok. Brand new C&R AP Tourbilion (see middle AP above) is going up for sale soon if anyone here wants first crack at below retail cost and less wait! Just shoot me a PM.