• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Updated Royal Oak Tourbillon by R8 Factory are out

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I removed the rotor, it is held on by glue, I don’t understand why they didn’t make a real one, since everything is there for this

Your rotor need to be staked back. It wasn't tight enough and cause it to ride on top of the bridges grinding oth the bridges and the bottom of the rotor. That's very unfortunate, now there is tons of brass dust all over the place, jawels and everything is dirty and it will over time cause movement to self destroy basically. It will need a service at minimum.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
By twitching my wrist, I managed to start the clock without a rotor, they worked for several minutes!
Yes. Don’t do it too often that way, it isn’t the best way to wind the watch. Without the rotor it’s a handwind movement.

Reactions: Allure

Guiltycat

Supporter
Certified
31/8/22
Loving my blue dial model, just ordered the grey one for my own xmas present. Not expecting it to arrive by then though 😂

A non tapisserie royal oak does look quiet pleasing

Guiltycat

Supporter
Certified
31/8/22
How’s everyone else’s experience with their watch? It’s been a while since it was released

monemone71

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
2/8/22
Firenze
Hi
I read manu posts of this thread but I ask (I apologize for my question): jtime sells an R8F model that appears as gen Selfwinding but then in the description of the movement it says “Asia Manual Wind Flying Tourbillon with Fully Decorated Bridges & Plates”, thickness mm 11.2.

Is it a different version?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi
I read manu posts of this thread but I ask (I apologize for my question): jtime sells an R8F model that appears as gen Selfwinding but then in the description of the movement it says “Asia Manual Wind Flying Tourbillon with Fully Decorated Bridges & Plates”, thickness mm 11.2.

Is it a different version?
As long as there isn’t a rotor, it is a manual wind. Don’t read the often misleading marketing description. See the watch details for yourself and know the facts. I believe there is only one version of this movement which is manual wind. I do not own the watch so I’ll let owners chime in themselves.

monemone71

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
2/8/22
Firenze
As long as there isn’t a rotor, it is a manual wind. Don’t read the often misleading marketing description. See the watch details for yourself and know the facts. I believe there is only one version of this movement which is manual wind. I do not own the watch so I’ll let owners chime in themselves.
Thank you. Now I also understand the thickness, which is ‘only’ 11.2 mm (for Theonewathches 10.7 mm). Has anyone measured? How about the dark blue dial? I couldn't find any photos in full light...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you. Now I also understand the thickness, which is ‘only’ 11.2 mm (for Theonewathches 10.7 mm). Has anyone measured? How about the dark blue dial? I couldn't find any photos in full light...
My personal opinion is:

Don’t worry about whether it’s 11.2mm or 10.7mm. That won’t be the main tell for such models. The retail price of this watch is over $100k when it was still available as a current model sold by AP. Anyone buying and wearing the watch should have the lifestyle and income capacity to make the watch look belieavable on the wrist. If you have the lifestyle to make the watch look legit on your wrist then you won’t have the problem buying the gen, thickness and other tells all solved.
If not, then the thickness difference between the rep and gen should be the least of your concerns, there are a host of other tells to give it away, the majority of them being different aspects of the wearer himself. If you’re looking to wear this as a novelty watch then tells won’t matter at all, the watch itself looks nice and respectable and the gen is rare enough as it is in real life.
So you see, compared with a regular ROO or Royal Oak, which are much more prevalent and belieavable in real life in terms of cost, the ability/willingness to afford/spend on and pull off such high end luxury models is the number one concern. Nobody will otherwise notice a thickness difference of 1mm or so for such obscure models, even AP collectors may not know how the gen geometry should be like.
So buy and enjoy the watch for what it is. It is a replica and meant to be enjoyed as a replica. Don’t worry too much some fractions of a millimeters.

monemone71

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
2/8/22
Firenze
My personal opinion is:

Don’t worry about whether it’s 11.2mm or 10.7mm. That won’t be the main tell for such models. The retail price of this watch is over $100k when it was still available as a current model sold by AP. Anyone buying and wearing the watch should have the lifestyle and income capacity to make the watch look belieavable on the wrist. If you have the lifestyle to make the watch look legit on your wrist then you won’t have the problem buying the gen, thickness and other tells all solved.
If not, then the thickness difference between the rep and gen should be the least of your concerns, there are a host of other tells to give it away, the majority of them being different aspects of the wearer himself. If you’re looking to wear this as a novelty watch then tells won’t matter at all, the watch itself looks nice and respectable and the gen is rare enough as it is in real life.
So you see, compared with a regular ROO or Royal Oak, which are much more prevalent and belieavable in real life in terms of cost, the ability/willingness to afford/spend on and pull off such high end luxury models is the number one concern. Nobody will otherwise notice a thickness difference of 1mm or so for such obscure models, even AP collectors may not know how the gen geometry should be like.
So buy and enjoy the watch for what it is. It is a replica and meant to be enjoyed as a replica. Don’t worry too much some fractions of a millimeters.
Thank you, I agree with you. I have a good collection of gen, some AP and PP, I like to have some reps to do some rotations, I'm curious to share thoughts about the quality of these products. There are reps of the highest level, other expensive but poorly cared for. I agree with everything you say, I've never seen a gen of the tourbillon reference of this series, for example...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you, I agree with you. I have a good collection of gen, some AP and PP, I like to have some reps to do some rotations, I'm curious to share thoughts about the quality of these products. There are reps of the highest level, other expensive but poorly cared for. I agree with everything you say, I've never seen a gen of the tourbillon reference of this series, for example...
I think just get the opinions of current owners of this rep, that always tends to be the honest candid and honest no matter compared with the marketing statements put out by the maker through dealers lol.
Don’t worry too much about it, just buy one if you like it and enjoy it.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU

I'm still amazed that the factory could produce this automatic tourby with a 12.4 mm case thickness. I wonder which Chinese automatic tourbillon watch (gen or rep) can be thinner. Auto-winding direction seems clockwise. I'm going to check if the watch keeps power on my winder.

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
@grillbrill Wonderful, if you have time and taste, post more pics of this in daylight pls :)
And if you ever wanna sell, Id like to try it for a bit 😁

Guiltycat

Supporter
Certified
31/8/22

I'm still amazed that the factory could produce this automatic tourby with a 12.4 mm case thickness. I wonder which Chinese automatic tourbillon watch (gen or rep) can be thinner. Auto-winding direction seems clockwise. I'm going to check if the watch keeps power on my winder.
My blue one is 12.4mm but my grey one is 12.1mm thick 😶 both look great. I’m used to winding the dandong 3235 and 4130 so when I wind the R8F it feels and sounds rough