• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor FXD

tripwire759

Time Is a Thief
3/11/23
Ok so after I pulled the crown out I was faced with a dilemma.... just get it fixed or since it's going to the watchmaker and has to be opened, swap in a high-beat movement?

I decided to swap in a high-beat. So sourced a Miyota 9015, and off everything went to my watchmaker. He's removed the date wheel and the date click on the crown (via keyless) and bam... perfect fit on hands case and stem/crown.

Very nice to know this works.

Reactions: Abe Fromen

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Ok so after I pulled the crown out I was faced with a dilemma.... just get it fixed or since it's going to the watchmaker and has to be opened, swap in a high-beat movement?

I decided to swap in a high-beat. So sourced a Miyota 9015, and off everything went to my watchmaker. He's removed the date wheel and the date click on the crown (via keyless) and bam... perfect fit on hands case and stem/crown.

And with this, there is no need for a better version, my largest gripe has been solved. Thanks for taking the time to test this out and source everything.

Now time for me to do this on my Tudor FXD.

tripwire759

Time Is a Thief
3/11/23

Did you use one of the forum's watch makers?

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Having looked at the specs of the two movements, I knew it was a direct swap.

To answer questions...

stem issue, no idea if that will resolve that issue but I've had many 9015 movement watches and never had this issue, so I'm hoping.

I used a local watchmaker here in Toronto. I don't think he's 'approved' here but I've used him about 6--7 times and he's a gem for me. He's the former head watchmaker from a Canadian chain called La Swiss watches and knows his stuff and it's his full time gig. He's rep friendly, obviously. He helped me build a vintage Tudor blue snowflake and installed the gen swiss movement (same as the OG tudor snowflake) and installed a gen period tudor rotor on it and said 'this is so good I would be tricked to think it's genuine. English isn't his first language and he can be gruff on the phone/email but IMO if you are local and can visit him in person, that makes all the diff.

tripwire759

Time Is a Thief
3/11/23
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Having looked at the specs of the two movements, I knew it was a direct swap.

To answer questions...

stem issue, no idea if that will resolve that issue but I've had many 9015 movement watches and never had this issue, so I'm hoping.

I used a local watchmaker here in Toronto. I don't think he's 'approved' here but I've used him about 6--7 times and he's a gem for me. He's the former head watchmaker from a Canadian chain called La Swiss watches and knows his stuff and it's his full time gig. He's rep friendly, obviously. He helped me build a vintage Tudor blue snowflake and installed the gen swiss movement (same as the OG tudor snowflake) and installed a gen period tudor rotor on it and said 'this is so good I would be tricked to think it's genuine. English isn't his first language and he can be gruff on the phone/email but IMO if you are local and can visit him in person, that makes all the diff.
That is great. I live in the US, but our HQ is in Ottawa and I'm always there. I pass through Toronto now and then.

I need to find someone like that where I live or just find one of the watchmakers here that can do it (in the US). I'll wait until I either get bored with it or it breaks. I figured based on the movement dimensions that it would work. Great information and thanks for being the guinea pig for the group.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I read quite a bit about the movements, and a great deal of people praise the Miyota 9015, place it above the Seiko NH35/36 and the ETA 2824 because (1) it's thinner, (2) cheaper, (3) readily available, and (4) a 4Hz movement. No service needed; if it ever fails, out with old, in with the new!

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
Yeah agree... not sure why the factory didn't put the 9015 in the FXD in the first place. There isn't much diff in price and for the $20-30 dollar diff, you get a 4hz movement. I paid US388 plus shipping for mine... at that price it should have a 4hz. but no matter... i'm happy with this watch before the stem pulled out, so i'm sure i'll be happier going forward.