• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today we tested all the popular SUBs for 904L steel

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
They now should adjust their prices or I suspect their v3 won't sell that well. I see zero possibilities to upgrade their watches to real 904L in a short time if new machines are really needed.

Unless people In China pick up On pure time’s testing and decide the same I highly doubt it’ll
Make a Difference to sales in the v3. It looks damn good and that what people want. No one could tell
Before, Most of the trade for dealers is domestic, we make up a small very Percentage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayatsu1

12/10/19
Unless people In China pick up On pure time’s testing and decide the same I highly doubt it’ll
Make a Difference to sales in the v3. It looks damn good and that what people want. No one could tell
Before, Most of the trade for dealers is domestic, we make up a small very Percentage

I agree that they look good and many will still buy their subs (me too). But I am not sure of what is going to happen. I don't think all the western buyers are that irrelevant to their sales. I think the word will spread also to other places. Sure their watches are now looking good, but with the upcoming competition this is not going to benefit them. They only sell subs right now and they should be concerned if their sales drop. ZF and VSF will probably already have better subs, if you consider also this 904L lie...

Last edited:

Sdc83

Renowned Member
20/1/13
I agree that they look good and many will still buy their subs (me too). But I am not sure of what is going to happen. I don't think all the western buyers are that irrelevant to their sales. I think the word will spread also to other places. Sure their watches are now looking good, but with the upcoming competition this is not going to benefit them. They only sell subs right now and they should be concerned if their sales drop. ZF and VSF will probably already have better subs, if you consider also this 904L lie...

and the price of the Sub Vsf is very attractive, considering the quality of the watch

Principium

Supporter
Certified
15/3/20
I have to admit that I am very insecure. i have now read both relevant threads and believe that the test results are correct. But I ask myself one question, if the results are correct, why is 904l still everywhere in the puretime offers? at least puretime shouldn't mislead potential customers with this knowledge and correct it in the corresponding offers, shouldn't it?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I have to admit that I am very insecure. i have now read both relevant threads and believe that the test results are correct. But I ask myself one question, if the results are correct, why is 904l still everywhere in the puretime offers? at least puretime shouldn't mislead potential customers with this knowledge and correct it in the corresponding offers, shouldn't it?

Because its the weekend and I doubt Puretime are going to bring in staff to update their website to calm your insecurities.

Furthermore, if there is any adjustment on ZZF pricing its going to have to be based on the wholesale price that ZZF make the watch available to the TD’s at. Again, the news only broke yesterday.

Last edited:

fpharryc

Known Member
11/4/12
I will have to say this, although it's just a wild guess.

Angus, while indeed having guts to reveal the secret of the industry's biggest fraud, he will now need to be hiding.

Cutting off the revenue of all the fake watch factories by publishing his "study", he better not to be seen on the streets of Hongkong island or Kowloon Bay for a long long time.

FlyguyGA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/20
Guess I’m keeping my arf v3 lol, what a time to alive

ARF has been my favorite compared to Noob and ZZF. I cant really describe why, it just felt higher quality. Can't wait for the V4!

Reactions: Grfranco

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

Well, this isn't a regulated site and many buyers don't find him through here.

Ultimately, each factory self reports their products. If zzf is saying it's 904 L it might not be up to him to crack down on them.

He's trying to give us info.

I know its hypothetical but what if he reports to zzf his findings and they have a stated reason. What if they say "oh it was a mistake. You got the wrong product." or "your machine is broke because it is 904"? Who is he to challenge/question them other than to say he's a seller of their product.

Ultimately its up to us to regulate this unregulated market with out purchases based on the info we have and know.

I understand what you're saying but it's not up to Angus to police the factories or steer people toward or away from any particular factory.

Many watches are listed inaccurately on every td because the factories pretty much write their own description. That's why we always tell people to do their due diligence when making a purchase.

Also this test is nothing conclusive. It is a single test of a single waych from each factory. With a handheld machine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

CRANO

Horology Curious
14/4/19
Maybe we should ask this guy:
FirmNaturalAkitainu-max-1mb.gif

CRANO

Horology Curious
14/4/19
If anyone would like to check their reps for material chemical composition I would be happy to help. I’ve tested an ARF bracelet link and it is full 904L. The machine we use is more accurate than any hand held device available to the public.
7b6dd947ff38c4cd4b51945c0c809270.jpg

Would be interesting to see an image of the spectral analysis of the Gen Steel and compare it to different factories. It would be pretty easy for members to compare the peaks present from different factories visually. Of course, that would require Angus to send you all those watches, including the GEN. I, for one, support that :D

In the end, this is just one more piece of information for us to obsess over. But that's the nature of the game, right? I mean some people go bonkers about SEL's, whereas I don't really care.
But I like to hear from the people who do care . . .

Last edited:

CRANO

Horology Curious
14/4/19
Here below is a chart that shows the difference between 316L and 904L steel.
Z38h6J.png

""
Lastly, I have a friend in the metal industry. I talked to him about these type of steel and he did confirm what puretime stated earlier - about needing specialized equipment to make 904L due to it being much harder than 316L

I am not saying above statement is a lie. I'm not working in the steel industry and is merely replying back what my friend told me. If you compare to the chart below, the 904L has a higher grade of chromium, a lot more nickel and even copper which is not included in the 316L. "

Um, not to be too nitpicky
Actually this entire thread is nitpicky, so: 904L steel is not harder; it's less hard than 316L. Your own chart shows that.

I only bring it up because I was under the impression that the 904L is harder until today's big kerfuffle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neo_Goku1

Midnightx

17/3/17
Lastly, I have a friend in the metal industry. I talked to him about these type of steel and he did confirm what puretime stated earlier - about needing specialized equipment to make 904L due to it being much harder than 316L

But it's not harder, are you saying your friend said it's because it's harder or your friend said they need specialized equipment for some other reason?

Reactions: Neo_Goku1

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Imaging what would happen if a factory is claiming to sell one type of movement in the watch but delivering a cheaper one.

This is an extremely good point.

Despite my personal view being that someone who paid more solely for 904L is an idiot, at the end of the day misrepresentation is misrepresentation.

One thing I actually really like/d about the rep scene was for a long time there was actually far less bullshit in the game than in gen circles which is absolutely a circle jerk orgy.

It seems in the past 5 years or so factories are getting more aggressive fighting for territory and are this resorting to these types of tactics.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
I will have to say this, although it's just a wild guess.

Angus, while indeed having guts to reveal the secret of the industry's biggest fraud, he will now need to be hiding.

Cutting off the revenue of all the fake watch factories by publishing his "study", he better not to be seen on the streets of Hongkong island or Kowloon Bay for a long long time.

Tin foil hat much?

There are plenty of domestic reviewers and sources for calling out factories on shit.

With that said Angus deserves to be commended for calling this shit out, this is the type of shady thing which in other industries would be widely known by those in the know but would never be made public.

Subdued

20/11/19
This is an extremely good point.

Despite my personal view being that someone who paid more solely for 904L is an idiot, at the end of the day misrepresentation is misrepresentation.

One thing I actually really like/d about the rep scene was for a long time there was actually far less bullshit in the game than in gen circles which is absolutely a circle jerk orgy.

It seems in the past 5 years or so factories are getting more aggressive fighting for territory and are this resorting to these types of tactics.

If you talk about misrepresentation then all TDs and all factories are guilty. They always adverstize 1:1 copy on every product they got. :)

Reactions: saucin and Grfranco

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
If you talk about misrepresentation then all TDs and all factories are guilty. They always advertise 1:1 copy on every product they got. :)

Fair enough but it feels more like... everyone knows 1to1 moniker is bullshit, it's just an identifier for (highest grade available)

But saying it has "xyz" when it doesn't is more straightforward deception