• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Titanium Yatchmaster 42mm - 2023 release

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
I've never tinkered with the EWF Hangzhou 7 series movements bro. They are not top tier movements AFAIK from what I've read. They are inexpensive which itself is not a dealbreaker fault as the DG2813 is even cheaper and I have several that are still going strong 5 years on.

It stands to reason that a 2824 or a 2836 could fit the case - those two ETAs have different stem heights one of which should be compatible with most rep case tube positions. But which one can only be determined by a trial fit. Then there's the issue of dial feet positions. I think it's unlikely this dial would be a true next generation dial with underside rims like most newer rep Rolex dials have. That would actually be a good thing if trying to swap in an ETA.

Hand hole sizes are also an unknown. Those are all different among various movements so I wouldn't expect these to be identical to anything else. Often some crimping and broaching of holes can make hands fit another movement though. Finding Chromalight ETA hands would be difficult. Most aftermarket ETA hands are either Superluminova (green) or a medium blue (not blue-green) if made for 6 digit watches.

It would be an interesting challenge but in all honesty not one I would embrace. That's why I have always avoided these movements. Like a DG2813, if it isn't performing well it makes the most sense to probably just replace it with another new one.

Thanks for this breakdown. I didn't expect this. Do you think this movement is at least repairable with ETA parts?
If not, then it makes zero sense to get this. 350-400 USD doesn't sound like a lot for a rep, but it is a lot for a watch that you can just throw away when something breaks. At least this is how I see it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for this breakdown. I didn't expect this. Do you think this movement is at least repairable with ETA parts?
If not, then it makes zero sense to get this. 350-400 USD doesn't sound like a lot for a rep, but it is a lot for a watch that you can just throw away when something breaks. At least this is how I see it.
There are not likely any movement parts that are interchangeable with ETA parts aside from the DWO. That's not something I would even attempt to do. The watch is not a throwaway, I was saying that the movement might be if it breaks. Some movement issues might be able to be fixed like a keyless reset or a calendar problem. Same with a DG2813. But anything on the non-dial side like a train wheel problem may not be worth fooling with, IDK.

If you take the backside combined bridge off on a DG2813, it's an absolute nightmare to get it back on. There are about 6 loose and wobbly gears and shafts (pivots) that have to be stood upright and stay put while you fit all of them in their respective jewel holes in the bridge cover. I did it ONCE, it took over three hours. Very few people will work on them, that's why it's a throwaway movement.

Your conclusion that it makes zero sense to get this watch (with this movement) is one I share. You can get lucky and have a movement last longer than your interest in the watch. I prefer to be able to easily fix or replace a movement if there are issues. CLEAN or VSF will put one of these out soon enough.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Looking at these pics, it seems like the handset is very flat. Especially the hour hand...

Reactions: keisuke_z

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
There are not likely any movement parts that are interchangeable with ETA parts aside from the DWO. That's not something I would even attempt to do. The watch is not a throwaway, I was saying that the movement might be if it breaks. Some movement issues might be able to be fixed like a keyless reset or a calendar problem. Same with a DG2813. But anything on the non-dial side like a train wheel problem may not be worth fooling with, IDK.

If you take the backside combined bridge off on a DG2813, it's an absolute nightmare to get it back on. There are about 6 loose and wobbly gears and shafts (pivots) that have to be stood upright and stay put while you fit all of them in their respective jewel holes in the bridge cover. I did it ONCE, it took over three hours. Very few people will work on them, that's why it's a throwaway movement.

Your conclusion that it makes zero sense to get this watch (with this movement) is one I share. You can get lucky and have a movement last longer than your interest in the watch. I prefer to be able to easily fix or replace a movement if there are issues. CLEAN or VSF will put one of these out soon enough.

Thanks for sharing your experience. And yeah maybe you've just confirmed what I was thinking with your very last line. I do hope we get a CF (since I kinda prefer VR3235 these days due to repairability and ease of sourcing) soon. But the watch itself is a dream come true - at least for me!

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
That's always an option - however souring this very same movement might prove to be challenging.
You can pick up a new HZ7500 on Ali for around fifty bucks, which means they’re worth about $15.

| Watch movement parts EW 3235 movement EW factory dj sub yachat original movement before modification watchmaker no logo

jimbo-o

Getting To Know The Place
28/5/23
Louisiana
Just got my QC pics, EWF has definitely been doing a great job at consistency on this model. Prob 15 days till i get it in hand. Hoping to do a movement swap too for a vr3235 but based on what @KY2020 said, Im not sure anymore. Hopefully can at least do some creative tinkering to be able to swap the hands out. The hour hand is as flat as paper

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You can pick up a new HZ7500 on Ali for around fifty bucks, which means they’re worth about $15.

| Watch movement parts EW 3235 movement EW factory dj sub yachat original movement before modification watchmaker no logo
I might grab one of these just to tinker with it. It's always fun when a movement explodes like a spring loaded puzzle that takes hours to reassemble, hah!

On a side note the A7750 is another fun one. And no wonder few people will work on those either. When you take the autowind assembly off (which I did just to get the rotor out of the way for ease of movement holder mounting), it explodes on you with a bunch of pieces and parts.

Everything has to be situated perfectly. A stiff spring at A pushes that gear off angle and out of position. A gear beneath B has to mesh with that large gear next to it, and its pivot stay in that tiny hole in the lever. All the other circled parts have to stay in place despite opposing lateral and vertical forces acting on them. Then when you go to replace the bridge, you always knock something out of place.

3MEU1I.jpg

What an almost impossible ordeal! It's as bad as the DG2813's combined train/barrel bridge with its many spindly and wobbly pivots. I was only able to reassemble the 7750 by taping parts down, replacing the bridge then pulling the tape out. Arghh.

Last edited:

andy_fin

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/3/21
Europa
@Kielxx Awesome phone! I had think I had N95 back in 2007 or something. Ah good times! But yeah the results seem alright. I don't understand why couldn't they use something better for the movement though. I doubt A2824 costs more than whatever they have in it.

Reactions: Kielxx