• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

speadracer

16/2/23
USA
Hey guys I need some help. Im
Looking at building a Meteroite Daytona. I contacted a non-TD I believe, who provided some info but not a lot. I’m in a tossup on if I want to use a stock Daytona by BTF or another factory or an Artisan De Geneva rep which has a clone DD4130 but the factory is unknown. Both watches can accept the dial but can’t really find any info on the Artisan piece to see the dimensions and specs.
Did you make a decision? I have Noob, CF & BTF and am happy with them all. I've changed out dials on all, so wasn't as worried as most here for the most 'authentic' looking dials OTB.

Reactions: contender09

Q8i

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/23
USA
Some specific queries I have on Daytona reps, hopefully the Pros can help out:

1. How long have you been using your Daytona Rep?
2. Any issues in keeping the time? Or is it losing/gaining seconds or minutes daily?
3. How is the waterproofing on reps?

My eyes are set on a 4130 clean factory daytona :love:

Camille_Giroud

Horology Curious
30/7/23
New York
Good morning, guys…I’m about to drop the hammer on the Clean V3 Daytona 116500, but before I do I’d love to see if anyone has any before/after or side-by-side shots that show the Deep crystal replacement. I know a lotta guys swear the crystal swap is a ‘must do’ option, but considering most people are swapping out a crystal when they’ve never seen the original, it seems like a bit of herd mentality in action. Every photo I’ve seen of the Clean V3 looks pretty amazing, so whats to be gained with the swap?

On a related note…I’m also considering picking up a Clean GMT II at the same time and have the same question. I haven’t even checked if a Deep crystal is available for the GMT, but assuming it is, do ya think it’s necessary?

Reactions: andy_fin

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Good morning, guys…I’m about to drop the hammer on the Clean V3 Daytona 116500, but before I do I’d love to see if anyone has any before/after or side-by-side shots that show the Deep crystal replacement. I know a lotta guys swear the crystal swap is a ‘must do’ option, but considering most people are swapping out a crystal when they’ve never seen the original, it seems like a bit of herd mentality in action. Every photo I’ve seen of the Clean V3 looks pretty amazing, so whats to be gained with the swap?

On a related note…I’m also considering picking up a Clean GMT II at the same time and have the same question. I haven’t even checked if a Deep crystal is available for the GMT, but assuming it is, do ya think it’s necessary?
Like you, I'd be interested to know too

Check out the latest post (by me) in this thread. I think it shows it best.

Camille_Giroud

Horology Curious
30/7/23
New York

Check out the latest post (by me) in this thread. I think it shows it best.
Thanks for showing this…but I’m not seeing a convincing argument for swapping with these photos. And that’s mostly cuz the lighting on the two shots isn’t the same. If anything, the contrast on the sub dials looks better in the ‘before‘ shot (On left)…the black is actually deeper. And I know that might be because the lighting in the after shot is a little ‘flatter’ than the before photo, but without the before/after photographed under the same lighting, it’s still hard (for me) to see how the Deep crystal improves the contrast or lessens reflections on the dial 🤷‍♂️

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Thanks for showing this…but I’m not seeing a convincing argument for swapping with these photos. And that’s mostly cuz the lighting on the two shots isn’t the same. If anything, the contrast on the sub dials looks better in the ‘before‘ shot (On left)…the black is actually deeper. And I know that might be because the lighting in the after shot is a little ‘flatter’ than the before photo, but without the before/after photographed under the same lighting, it’s still hard (for me) to see how the Deep crystal improves the contrast or lessens reflections on the dial 🤷‍♂️

Deep is left, clean is right. Notice the blue tint on the right?

Reactions: mmaggi

kyo86sg

23/9/16

I believe this crystal swap is actually a must do if you have the white dial version, the blue hue of the crystal really give it away and you can't really unsee it. You will understand once you received your stock clean daytona on hand. I personally feel its a big give away that it's a rep.

Camille_Giroud

Horology Curious
30/7/23
New York
Actually…according to your original post, the photo on the left was the BEFORE photo…..I just ganged them up into one side-by-side shot.
Actually…according to your original post, the photo on the left was the BEFORE photo…..I just ganged them up into one side-by-side shot. Your post said…

”…Here is my best representation of deep before and after……” followed by the shot that you’re now saying was the ‘after’ shot. If that IS a that post-swap photo, then yeah…there definitely seems to be an overall blueish cast to the white dial. So…is that the takeaway from your post???

CG

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
My new CF Daytona just arrived last Saturday and therefore it might very well be a v3. From what I have been reading, I have been expecting a black hole coronet on an otherwise high-end looking dial.

When comparing it side-by-side with a gen 116500, a couple of things stand out:
  • The coronet is spot on - no difference really CF vs. gen
  • The sub dial rings are not as vivid on the CF
  • The sub dial rings still have the wrong structure when it comes to the concentric rings
  • The numbers on the bezel are much more vivid and vibrant on the gen

Apologies for the bad lighting and the photo quality. I had to work with what I have: an iPhone and my balcony ;)

HKUePs.jpeg

HKU2gn.jpeg

HKUh4E.jpeg

HKUK12.jpeg

HKULo3.jpeg

For my eyes, the differences are minimal - but you can identify the CF when you know what to look for!

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
@Fabulously - Thanks for the pictures. Love side by sides in the same lighting.

And might I add: On the wrist, absolutely NO ONE would know the CF isn't a gen.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Actually…according to your original post, the photo on the left was the BEFORE photo…..I just ganged them up into one side-by-side shot.

Actually…according to your original post, the photo on the left was the BEFORE photo…..I just ganged them up into one side-by-side shot. Your post said…

”…Here is my best representation of deep before and after……” followed by the shot that you’re now saying was the ‘after’ shot. If that IS a that post-swap photo, then yeah…there definitely seems to be an overall blueish cast to the white dial. So…is that the takeaway from your post???

CG
Can be misinterpreted like that. But honestly just buy the Dayto

CG
I left it ambigious so people can make their own decisions without bias. I didnt really refer to which photo was which.

My advice is just get the Daytona. If you don't see anything wrong then don't change the crystal. But if you notice the blue tint in sunlight then switch to Deep.

Camille_Giroud

Horology Curious
30/7/23
New York
Can be misinterpreted like that. But honestly just buy the Dayto

I left it ambigious so people can make their own decisions without bias. I didnt really refer to which photo was which.

My advice is just get the Daytona. If you don't see anything wrong then don't change the crystal. But if you notice the blue tint in sunlight then switch to Deep.
I’m not looking for bias…I’m looking for a little help from a guy who’s actually done the swap. You’ve done the swap. From where I was standing, the implication was the first photo was the ‘before’ shot, that’s all 🤷‍♂️

Nextlevel-1050

Supporter
Certified
22/3/22
Hello guys ! Does someone know if it is still possible to buy a 116520 in 2023 from a TD ? I tried with Trusty but it does not have it.