• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The SH4131 Daytonas - Long-term reliability test

roger.w

Horology Curious
26/7/23
Connecticut
I have no comparioson to the dd4130. I just started the stopwatch function on my phone at the same time as on the chrono. It ran 2h very exactly to the stopwatch on the smartphone. Did you also try something like that?
right when you start it, is there a slight hiccup before it starts? or is it immediate?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
A little update. So far I'm impressed with the scratch resistance of the steel, the piece has no more than light desk dive marks even tho it's had a hard life already. Most of them would Cape Cod out and the few that wouldn't are hardly bad, A light buff would remove them.

I did some fencing last week and was using a post driver which involves slamming star pickets in with a rammer and imparts a lot of high G shocks to your wrists. This has resulted in a loss of accuracy, it's out to about 5 minutes a week. This will be due to the adjuster moving from the inertial forces and TBH I expected it as I'm pushing a chrono MVT well beyond what is intended. I'll leave it as is rather than adjusting it back because I want an end result in totality at the end of this test.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Thanks for the update. Have you been using the chronograph function at all?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
A little update. So far I'm impressed with the scratch resistance of the steel, the piece has no more than light desk dive marks even tho it's had a hard life already. Most of them would Cape Cod out and the few that wouldn't are hardly bad, A light buff would remove them.

I did some fencing last week and was using a post driver which involves slamming star pickets in with a rammer and imparts a lot of high G shocks to your wrists. This has resulted in a loss of accuracy, it's out to about 5 minutes a week. This will be due to the adjuster moving from the inertial forces and TBH I expected it as I'm pushing a chrono MVT well beyond what is intended. I'll leave it as is rather than adjusting it back because I want an end result in totality at the end of this test.

Thanks for the update. Do you think it is another alloy then it was on your DD3285 GMT you tested a long time when it reached the market?

About the speeding up/slowing down: You hitted the watch few times and it reached 42s/day off. It would be very interesting if we would know if the adjusting lever of the balance wheel was moved, or something is not ok with the ruby stones / shock absorber.

Really looking forward to your conclusion when your done with this watch.

Dexxter

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/3/24
After some more adjusting I achieved the following. Its measured with a smartphone app. The reality check will proof or unproof the resultes.
So after ~48h testing the watch has about +2 sec. It turned out much better than I expected.

Reactions: m5smg2

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
On my QC it was 52
yes, the 4130 (and the 4131) have a lift angle of 52 degrees. In general, if you don't know what the lift angle is, then 52 is a good default value. There are some movement (e.g. the rolex 32xx and its dandong clones) which have a higher lift angle due to the geometry of the chronoenergy escapement (either 55 or 58 degrees depending on what you read, I use 55 degrees).

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
This thread is awesome. Looking forward to updates and the end result. It'll probably determine whether I go for the 116500 or the 12 as my first Dayton rep in more than 15 years.

Those tests! 12 years ago, all of the hour markers would be in a heap at the bottom of the dial along with the hands. I lost an hour marker on my first "AAA replica" Sub sitting on a plane less than a week after leaving the Grand Bazaar.

How far we've come.