• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The SH4131 Daytonas - Long-term reliability test

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
As we all know the new SH4131 movement is now available in the latest C Factory Daytonas and thanks to both C Factory and our dealer @CTime I was sent the very first one off the line for testing and evaluation. Now, there are far more experienced Daytona experts than I discussing the sub-millimetre accuracy of both the rep and the movement so I'll just say that the fit and finish, to my eyes, is superb with nice edges, brushing and polishing so what am I going to do?

I'm not big on the looks of the movement, it's a closed case back after all but what I do care about is how well it's made, will it (and the watch as a whole) take daily wear and a bit of abuse? CF's latest GMT has just come off some four months of use as my daily and it has stood up very well indeed. It's been worn to (and into) housefires, road crash rescues, wildland fires and more. It's been worn wrenching on cars, drowned in engine oil, it's had spray paint on it and cleaned with thinners. It's been cleaned with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid in hot water and even worn while operating a jackhammer to break up a concrete slab. The GMT has come thru all of that with flying colours while maintaining accuracy within 20 seconds a week.

Now, we'll find out if the new Daytonas are as solid as the GMT because I'm going to beat the crap out of it for three months at least and report back here when it's done and dusted.
The movement in question

The watch on the timegrapher. A lot of the "noise" on the screen is due to the MTG-5000 preferring a naked movement to a cased one (even with the case back off) but I didn't wish to decase the movement at this point.

Two print traces from CH and H12 positions.

We will see how things compare after a few months of beating the hell out of it so watch this space and we'll see how both the watch and the movement cope with being used and abused in a manner that few if any of you would treat a Daytona in. Hell, I doubt many of you would treat a GMT the way I do 😁
What do I expect? Based on the way the GMT held up I expect good things even of the far more complicated chrono movement and I expect the watch itself to take everything I dish out to it. Let's find out if I'm right.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Thank you boss for taking the time and smashing around those watches for us;)
see you here in 3 months
PS: Do you have any pictures about the GMT AFTER surviving those things you did somewhere? Maybe I missed them, but would love to see them @trailboss99
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: CTime

Grapeshot

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
10/3/18
Wales, UK
It's been worn to (and into) housefires, road crash rescues, wildland fires and more. It's been worn wrenching on cars, drowned in engine oil, it's had spray paint on it and cleaned with thinners. It's been cleaned with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid in hot water and even worn while operating a jackhammer to break up a concrete slab.
@trailboss99 Interesting to have an insight into your typical day.

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
Are you perhaps hiring another person for this test? I'll be happy to test one of these beauties :ROFLMAO: Looking forward to the final verdict 👌

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
PS: Do you have any pictures about the GMT AFTER surviving those things you did somewhere?
It's been off my wrist for 24 hours, I'll get some pics and some timegrapher results ASAP. Suffice to say, it backs my belief that a lot of vintage builders vastly over age the pieces they build. On that note, I should take some pics of my 1680 which was my daily for around 5 years and had a similar life.

Last edited:

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Fire rescues, jackhammers, engine oil, spray paint and thinners. Just wow. A day in the life of our @trailboss99 Respect. You can’t ask for more real-world torture test conditions than this. It’s reassuring my DD GMT is as solid as it is pretty. Thank you for field testing our SH4131.

If I get a smudge or water droplet on my pieces, I need to clean them asap 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: M Scott

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
Mess around with the chrono features like a child or someone who has never seen anything like it before. Give it hell. Thanks for doing this for us.

Reactions: haze3715

Tomasz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/1/24
As we all know the new SH4131 movement is now available in the latest C Factory Daytonas and thanks to both C Factory and our dealer @CTime I was sent the very first one off the line for testing and evaluation. Now, there are far more experienced Daytona experts than I discussing the sub-millimetre accuracy of both the rep and the movement so I'll just say that the fit and finish, to my eyes, is superb with nice edges, brushing and polishing so what am I going to do?

I'm not big on the looks of the movement, it's a closed case back after all but what I do care about is how well it's made, will it (and the watch as a whole) take daily wear and a bit of abuse? CF's latest GMT has just come off some four months of use as my daily and it has stood up very well indeed. It's been worn to (and into) housefires, road crash rescues, wildland fires and more. It's been worn wrenching on cars, drowned in engine oil, it's had spray paint on it and cleaned with thinners. It's been cleaned with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid in hot water and even worn while operating a jackhammer to break up a concrete slab. The GMT has come thru all of that with flying colours while maintaining accuracy within 20 seconds a week.

Now, we'll find out if the new Daytonas are as solid as the GMT because I'm going to beat the crap out of it for three months at least and report back here when it's done and dusted.
The movement in question

The watch on the timegrapher. A lot of the "noise" on the screen is due to the MTG-5000 preferring a naked movement to a cased one (even with the case back off) but I didn't wish to decase the movement at this point.

Two print traces from CH and H12 positions.

We will see how things compare after a few months of beating the hell out of it so watch this space and we'll see how both the watch and the movement cope with being used and abused in a manner that few if any of you would treat a Daytona in. Hell, I doubt many of you would treat a GMT the way I do 😁
What do I expect? Based on the way the GMT held up I expect good things even of the far more complicated chrono movement and I expect the watch itself to take everything I dish out to it. Let's find out if I'm right.
Good luck. Beat the shit out of it!

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
Subscribed, the real field test looks promising , thank you for sharing with us !

I like how well organised is everything in the photo :D

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Watching carefully, fascinating 😁