• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The official AP Diver discussion thread

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
There is a lot of wobble on my ZF rubber strap end links, anyone else have this? I had a JF V7 and they were tight and rattle free.

Having never held a gen, but based on the input of people from the forum, that’s how it is supposed to be. I imagine the wobble is there to help it better contour to your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: alfajor

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
There is a lot of wobble on my ZF rubber strap end links, anyone else have this? I had a JF V7 and they were tight and rattle free.

This is why JF is better in everyway possible. Now let the argument begin again....no please dont just kidding. Try tightening the screws. Maybe that helps.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is why JF is better in everyway possible. Now let the argument begin again....no please dont just kidding. Try tightening the screws. Maybe that helps.

I think that the "wobble" described is pretty subjective. Just how wobbly is wobbly? The gen plots are movable as well.
I don't think tightening the screws would help because of the construction of the plots.
And I agree with what you implied: The JF diver is a quality diver rep. We have discussed ZF vs JF enough already so lets leave it at that, where everyone can agree on it. Neither are gen and both are good reps.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Oh no. Let’s not open that topic again. The JF diver fanboys will fight eye and tooth to state otherwise. :hehehe:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are Fakes. And we should be ashamed for not wearing a Gen and paying $25k for the privilege. All I know when I step off the bus while asking the guy next to me to borrow $5 while I am flexing my AP. I feel like a champ.

Reactions: TingelTangelTom

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
I think that the "wobble" described is pretty subjective. Just how wobbly is wobbly? The gen plots are movable as well.
I don't think tightening the screws would help because of the construction of the plots.
And I agree with what you implied: The JF diver is a quality diver rep. We have discussed ZF vs JF enough already so lets leave it at that, where everyone can agree on it. Neither are gen and both are good reps.

Ok thank you, I was just curious since the JF end links are tighter and barely move, while the ZF links move freely. As you said, tightening the screws won’t help.
I am no expert and have zero interest in buying a $25k gen Diver, both JF and ZF look great for $500…

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
jYdwwK.jpg

Anyone knows where to get a SS bracelet? My TD can’t source one, are they still avaliable from JF?

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR8R and Meicmo84

007MI6

Horology Curious
10/11/21
Hi guys,
Thanks in advance for any contribution.
Received my 15703 a day ago, and I am a bit confused by what version I got.
Can you tell if it is the JF V10? I can see the so called 3D effect on the bezel markers, but have to really go for a macro or squint very hard to notice. Is it really like this? I've tried to compare with pictures of the V9 and 9.5 and they don't seem to match with what I got, but the v10 sometimes seem to have a very pronounced and "fatter" marks.
Here's some pics of the watch I got.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Hi guys,
Thanks in advance for any contribution.
Received my 15703 a day ago, and I am a bit confused by what version I got.
Can you tell if it is the JF V10? I can see the so called 3D effect on the bezel markers, but have to really go for a macro or squint very hard to notice. Is it really like this? I've tried to compare with pictures of the V9 and 9.5 and they don't seem to match with what I got, but the v10 sometimes seem to have a very pronounced and "fatter" marks.
Here's some pics of the watch I got.

Mine is a V10 looks about right.

007MI6

Horology Curious
10/11/21
AP prices are notoriously high when it comes to service and maintenance, its a well known fact.
An ROO GP ceramic bezel can cost $5000 and $4000 for the 42mm ROO ceramic bezel.
Movement service at $1.5-$2k.
Their corporate belief seems to be "well, where the hell else can my customers go for maintenance?" So remove the element from choice from an business equation and prices can (and often will) soar. It is a pretty high-handed way of handling business but from a corporate standpoint, they are not wrong to do so. This is also why a lot of my gen AP collector friends switch to reps. It makes a lot more sense when compared with the maintenance costs of a gen AP. Yes, reps are flawed but so what? A lot of guys here just want a nice watch on their wrists and to hell with accuracy to gen in real life.
The guys wearing the gens and laughing at the rep owner often forget the fundamental fact that the rep guy has saved a typical $20k-$40k for himself by wearing a watch which LOOKS 90-99% close in real life. What matters eventually is not whether any watch is gen or rep, but that it suits the owner and makes him happy at the end of the day. The value of the watch may be in absolute dollars, but the worth of a watch is pretty subjective and unique to each owner.

Nailed it!!!!! Absolute gem.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
I think I do agree that the JF v10 dive bezel is decent looking. Differences with the ZF one is visible under magnification and not the naked eye.

The difference I see between the V10 JF Bezel and the ZF is that ZF has a rather matte look (the plastic looks more brushed) while the JF was always more shiny appearance in v9.5 and V10.

How do you see that legend compared to the GEN appearance ?

Guglhupfer

Known Member
26/6/21
I really like my ZF 15703.
I already bought the parts for the correct beat rate modification of the eta 2824.
What bothers me is the wrong date wheel and also the reflexes on the cyclops.
The JF 15703 has the right date wheel. Is the cyclops with ar on the JF better? Does the gen have ar? And is it possible to buy a cyclops with ar?

thanks for your help!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I really like my ZF 15703.
I already bought the parts for the correct beat rate modification of the eta 2824.
What bothers me is the wrong date wheel and also the reflexes on the cyclops.
The JF 15703 has the right date wheel. Is the cyclops with ar on the JF better? Does the gen have ar? And is it possible to buy a cyclops with ar?

thanks for your help!

The ZF 15703 datewheel uses the modern AP font, and looks respectable against the gen in terms of font type, thickness of lines and size of font. The JF one is definitely NOT better IMHO.
Also, the cyclop on the ZF15703 is consistent with the gen one, which has a curved front surface too. I honestly don't think both need any work at all.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The difference I see between the V10 JF Bezel and the ZF is that ZF has a rather matte look (the plastic looks more brushed) while the JF was always more shiny appearance in v9.5 and V10.

How do you see that legend compared to the GEN appearance ?

Actually, from my experience, both are correct as long as they have the borders around the lume numbers on the bezel sir.
Remember that variations exist in the gen as well, the appearance of specific parts, like the dial, and bezel, do vary from batch to batch. For the bezel, the older divers did have the gloss finish dive bezel, and the newer ones I have seen have the matte one. I do not have a large enough sample size to say for sure whether a specific batch should look a specific way, but I have definitely seen both types you mentioned on the gen divers. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Guglhupfer

Known Member
26/6/21
The ZF 15703 datewheel uses the modern AP font, and looks respectable against the gen in terms of font type, thickness of lines and size of font. The JF one is definitely NOT better IMHO.
Also, the cyclop on the ZF15703 is consistent with the gen one, which has a curved front surface too. I honestly don't think both need any work at all.

So the 15703 actually came with the modern date fond, too? I did not know that.

here are some pictures of mine. Are these reflections really the same as on the gen?