• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Are we thinkng the Pagani will have a similarly compatible case to the original ones posted by the OP? I've had a few before and was fairly impressed by the build quality and finishing.

I'm assuming we can't transplant the dial onto the VK63? (The pagani hands almost certainly would have better lume and IMO the VK63 is the superior movement)?

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Are we thinkng the Pagani will have a similarly compatible case to the original ones posted by the OP? I've had a few before and was fairly impressed by the build quality and finishing.

I'm assuming we can't transplant the dial onto the VK63? (The pagani hands almost certainly would have better lume and IMO the VK63 is the superior movement)?
Yeah like Pinion Minion mentioned the movement provided in the pagani has a different subdial layout so I doubt the Omega swatch dial will fit

Reactions: cyprusdaedalus

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Yeah like Pinion Minion mentioned the movement provided in the pagani has a different subdial layout so I doubt the Omega swatch dial will fit
Understood. Seems like you still might come out ok on pricing (~88 USD after discounts for the black model) if you just wanted a nice case/bezel/bracelet. Overall i've been impressed with the Pagani finishing/build quality in the past so i'm thinking it would be an ideal base to build from. + apparently they have 5 day shipping from a US source on Ali?

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
These look great - I've pre-ordered the Pagani red and a rep Mars moonswatch and looking forward to trying to move the internals into the Pagani. I'm guessing crown height and dial diameter will be the big issues to address.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
These look great - I've pre-ordered the Pagani red and a rep Mars moonswatch and looking forward to trying to move the internals into the Pagani. I'm guessing crown height and dial diameter will be the big issues to address.
Great- keep us posted!

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Depending on how things go I am likely going to do similar with the Pagani red and attempt to stick a real mars moonswatch into it.

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Case arrived along with a 2nd "revised" DHGate Moonswatch. They have changed construction on the newer versions. Dial print seem crisper, new strap is considerably nicer, and there is now a metal plate covering the movement upon taking the plastic case back off. The metal plate has some heft so i'm not sure what practical purpose it serves other than possibly making it feel heavier? I'm not sure what gen weight is compared to the reps.

Anyway - still waiting on another PE50 movement so I can cut a new stem to legnth. But this stem my case I got was not able to be reused as the legnth is too short. But if you're trying to remove the stock crown from the stem I used some delrin tipped pliars to get some purchase on the stem without damaging the threads and it came right off. Wasn't glued on as others have reported on theirs. If you don't have similar pliars I suspect wrapping some electrical tape around a pair of needlenose pliars should work just fine.

Still have to fashion a holder for movement, cut new stem to legnth, and mount the bezel (it's not attached from the seller and 3m pre-cut tape is provided.) Pic just shows a rough mock up of a "mission to the moon early rep version" in this 40mm case: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804707033900.html ("case 1" - black) for 27.00.

Hopefully I can make it all work - I think it's a fun little project. About 60 bucks all in for parts (assuming you put it on a strap or something and don't get a bracelet).

Shakennotstirred

Horology Curious
26/8/21
Well done!! The one thing I really dislike about my moonswatch is how it feels like a child’s toy. This is a really cool project.

andre1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/23
Canada
This is giving me an idea. My wife has mission to venus. It cost around $10 in the Philippines. The movement works and then stops so definitely will need a better
movement. I'm thinking the dial, hands and strap are salvageable

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Case arrived along with a 2nd "revised" DHGate Moonswatch. They have changed construction on the newer versions. Dial print seem crisper, new strap is considerably nicer, and there is now a metal plate covering the movement upon taking the plastic case back off. The metal plate has some heft so i'm not sure what practical purpose it serves other than possibly making it feel heavier? I'm not sure what gen weight is compared to the reps.

Anyway - still waiting on another PE50 movement so I can cut a new stem to legnth. But this stem my case I got was not able to be reused as the legnth is too short. But if you're trying to remove the stock crown from the stem I used some delrin tipped pliars to get some purchase on the stem without damaging the threads and it came right off. Wasn't glued on as others have reported on theirs. If you don't have similar pliars I suspect wrapping some electrical tape around a pair of needlenose pliars should work just fine.

Still have to fashion a holder for movement, cut new stem to legnth, and mount the bezel (it's not attached from the seller and 3m pre-cut tape is provided.) Pic just shows a rough mock up of a "mission to the moon early rep version" in this 40mm case: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804707033900.html ("case 1" - black) for 27.00.

Hopefully I can make it all work - I think it's a fun little project. About 60 bucks all in for parts (assuming you put it on a strap or something and don't get a bracelet).

I like the look, excited to see the finished product bro

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Ok sooo was tinkering today on how I was going to hold the movement in place while I wait on my replacement PE50 from Ali to get here so I can adjust the stem legnth and had a *duhhhhhhhhhhh* movement. Turns out the movement holder supplied with the case fits the PE50... PERFECTLY. No modification. I thought I was going to have to shave down the height and then I put on the caseback and it fit around it perfectly. Soooo this goes from easy to EASY PEASY. End result freaking SLAPS for ~60 bucks.

Needed:
1. Ali Case 40mm "Case 1-Black": https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804707033900.html - 27.00
2. Ali PE50 Spare Movement (used to harvest stem off of) - 9.00
3. DHGate Moonswatch of Choosing (This build shows Mission to the Moon) - 27.00
4. Strap/Braclet of your choosing. I put it on a Chevron Stone strap - 20mm: https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevron-adjustable-stone.html - 32.00

Initital casing and checking of height with original movement holder from Ali case *note I did not re-use the brushed trim ring around the dial from the original watch. It technically fits but with the domed crystal you can't really see it anyway and I thought it would just add the potential for something to shift/rattle around inside*:

Installing bezel print (and showing unused parts from original watch):

On the strap complete!

*ANYONE* is capable of doing this build no matter your skill level. Highly recommend it as the end result has really won me over and it's a fun, fast, project with unlimited customization combinations possible.

andre1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/23
Canada
Great looking watch, congrats on the outcome. It looks like a fun and easy project. I will definitely give it a try and put my wife's non performing mission to venus to work.

Reactions: rockdaytona