• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ladies' Rolex thread...a guide to assembling a nice Franken (thread will be updated periodically)

Lukey-2

Do not accept unsolicited offers
14/2/23
UK
I have a real Rolex Precision Ladies 9169 with a 1310 calibre movement, the case is nice, but the stainless steel bracelet is awful, one of those stainless steel expanding things, the dial is also aged to the point of replacement. I cant see any suitable dials to suit the movement and case, so my only option is either find a 10mm to 12mm leather strap with stainless Rolex buckle, or machine a stainless steel spacer for the movement to sit in, that will fit into a 26mm Oyster Perpetual case with a nice new dial and might need a longer winding stem. In its current state it is too old, ugly and fragile., wife wont like it. So need to do something.

TonyMontana

Getting To Know The Place
14/9/24
I have a real Rolex Precision Ladies 9169 with a 1310 calibre movement, the case is nice, but the stainless steel bracelet is awful, one of those stainless steel expanding things, the dial is also aged to the point of replacement. I cant see any suitable dials to suit the movement and case, so my only option is either find a 10mm to 12mm leather strap with stainless Rolex buckle, or machine a stainless steel spacer for the movement to sit in, that will fit into a 26mm Oyster Perpetual case with a nice new dial and might need a longer winding stem. In its current state it is too old, ugly and fragile., wife wont like it. So need to do something.
Any pictures?

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Wow. I'm finding this project almost impossible. I might have to join you guys in the NH05 stakes and see if I can broach or crimp 2671 hands to fit the movement, and use my 2671 movement holder adapted to take nh05. As you can tell from my description. It's a mini nightmare! hehe.

Reactions: TonyMontana

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Wow. I'm finding this project almost impossible. I might have to join you guys in the NH05 stakes and see if I can broach or crimp 2671 hands to fit the movement, and use my 2671 movement holder adapted to take nh05. As you can tell from my description. It's a mini nightmare! hehe.
The biggest issue I've had is that these watches are SUPER sensitive to stem length. It takes a lot of fine tuning to get the stem length correct. Too long and the movement won't run (I think the screwed down crown interferes with the function of the movement), too short and you can't wind it manually. There is almost zero margin for error in my experience.

I bought a few dozen extra stems from AliX, and I will generally cut it down until it almost works, then fine tune it by grinding the end a little with a Dremel until it works right.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
@dpd3672 What a huge achievement to get it at casing up and stem stage though. *applauds you* cos man it's tough.
I don't see any non-lume hands for nh05 to suit my dial. So i think i'm going to persist a little more with a 2671 movement. I've been using a chinese 2671 but think I'll try a swiss one. Its part of the date disc function that's letting me down. My overlay is a rolex disc that I think it probably a little heavy for the datewheel mechanism to work beautifully. I get some function out of it when changing the date for about 20 turns and then it just gives up the ghost. haha. We will see. It's turning out to be an expensive project for me. I bought a genuine MOP diamond dial so beautiful that I'm determined to put it to use eventually. :)

TonyMontana

14/9/24
Which case are you using again?

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Yo!
I haven't bought a case yet, but I plan to buy a genuine case very soon. I'm just trying to source a good enough deal. They're so expensive in my country.

So I will hopefully be a 2671 movement in gen case.
I was using an asian 2671, but I have just bought an ETA 2671 instead in hopes the datewheel movement might be slightly smoother.
(the asian 2671 had clunky date change even naturally without my DWO so it really bothered me.)

Unlike you guys who'd used Riyi's dwo. I'm using a gen 2135 date disc for 26mm watch size as my overlay, with the strange looking centrepiece cut out of it so it looks like a date disc shape we're more used to looking at and works effectively as an overlay.

I have a plastic 2671 movement holder, that I dremelled in order for the gen dial to click into it on top. It's a botch job. But it's all I have. I can't 3D print items yet.

I don't have much hopes tbh. Hahaha! But I'll persist. And report back when something good happens.

Reactions: TonyMontana

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
But because I've not cased anything up to check where items sit.
That will be another funny joke i think.

And because I've not got perfect datewheel function yet.
I've slowed down a little bit. We'll find out soon.
I have not ruled out using an NH05 in the future instead of my eta 2671. But I would like to use 2671 in a perfect world because I have perfect hands for it you see. :)

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
I worry that my choice of using a rolex date disc as an overlay is a bit too heavy and bulky.
So I could also try riyi's overlay instead if I continue to get stuck but it is in the wrong font really. No big deal really. But ideally I'd love to better-secure my rolex date disc

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
The datewheels can be problematic on the smaller movements. I can get them to work after a lot of tweaking, but they're not as plug and play as they are on the larger movements...I'm guessing because the smaller movements probably have less torque, and a heavier rotating mass is a bit more strain than it's designed for. It's also possible that there are clearance issues, but it's hard to tell for sure.

The movement (at least the NH05s that I've used) work well when the movement is out of the case, but can sometimes seem to bind when everything's assembled.

I guess as a rule of thumb, these ladies' builds require a lot more precise fitting than a Franken built on a men's case, but they're also considerably less expensive to build.

I'm going to try my hand on a 31mm build in the near future, although I'm not sure what movement I'll be using. The NH35 is probably too big (it's a tight fit in a 34mm case), and the ETA 28XX aren't much smaller, so I may wind up using the NH05 again. I've only got a couple gen cases and dials in 31mm, but excited to try something new. The 31mm size isn't seen much in the rep world, so it'll be another "concept to product" with little or no path established.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
That sounds so nice! I'm wearing a GMF 31mm at the moment with a2824 movement inside. I have white roman dial because the other GMF colours were a little poor. It is possibly the most boring dial in existence to be honest haha. But I'm thrilled that it took a genuine crystal and gasket perfectly.
Building a real 31mm, I think you may well be the very first person on the forum to go for it. It's such a lovely size. I'll look forwards to hearing what you decide to go ahead and do. I love that you've already got stock of cases etc. :)

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Another NH05 sounds brilliant. But I always have hands on the mind, because I've come to learn that the look of them is quite important to me. I wonder what you could use in a 31mm for hands that would look like rollie hands.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
@dpd3672 Actually on subject of hands for a 31mm movement, (if you used NH05). I noticed on chazingtime's website that GSF 31mm watch runs on NH05A. I wonder if someone brilliant like Li at Jtime could just source the hands part for you haha.

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
@dpd3672 Actually on subject of hands for a 31mm movement, (if you used NH05). I noticed on chazingtime's website that GSF 31mm watch runs on NH05A. I wonder if someone brilliant like Li at Jtime could just source the hands part for you haha.
I've got some gen hands for the 31mm that I'm hoping to adapt, although I have no idea if it's doable or not. It'll be a bit before I get to it.

My biggest issue is going to be whether or not I keep it for myself or pass it along to the lady, lol. 31mm is small for a man's watch, by today's standards, but for a vintage watch, 31mm is traditionally a man's size.

It's good to know that a 2824 "might" work for a movement, too. It opens up a lot of options if the gen hands can't be made to fit. I think the pinion size (110/65/21) is close enough to common quartz hands (120/70/20) that they could be used with a little tweaking.

Last edited:

TonyMontana

14/9/24
Yo!
I haven't bought a case yet, but I plan to buy a genuine case very soon. I'm just trying to source a good enough deal. They're so expensive in my country.

So I will hopefully be a 2671 movement in gen case.
I was using an asian 2671, but I have just bought an ETA 2671 instead in hopes the datewheel movement might be slightly smoother.
(the asian 2671 had clunky date change even naturally without my DWO so it really bothered me.)

Unlike you guys who'd used Riyi's dwo. I'm using a gen 2135 date disc for 26mm watch size as my overlay, with the strange looking centrepiece cut out of it so it looks like a date disc shape we're more used to looking at and works effectively as an overlay.

I have a plastic 2671 movement holder, that I dremelled in order for the gen dial to click into it on top. It's a botch job. But it's all I have. I can't 3D print items yet.

I don't have much hopes tbh. Hahaha! But I'll persist. And report back when something good happens.
Great, would be amazing if somone with the capabilities can help with that dial holder on the movement, I always thought the dial will be held on the movement just fine without any holder, I'm definitely wrong. Good luck and if you can't find a gen case I have a nice rep case that I was hoping to make a build with, but plans have changed and I'm thinking of just selling it, comes with cz crystal bezel

TonyMontana

14/9/24
Great, would be amazing if somone with the capabilities can help with that dial holder on the movement, I always thought the dial will be held on the movement just fine without any holder, I'm definitely wrong. Good luck and if you can't find a gen case I have a nice rep case that I was hoping to make a build with, but plans have changed and I'm thinking of just selling it, comes with cz crystal bezel

It comes with everything,

Case
Case back engraved rolex
The right hands
Right crown
Movement holder
Cz bezel
Right DWO (so no headache)
2.5x cyclops

Lukey-2

Do not accept unsolicited offers
14/2/23
UK
Any pictures?
I think I have a plan, I am going to buy a Raffles Tiffany 31mm case set, turn and mill a movement holder in brass (I own a precision engineering firm) and see if I can set the movement into the case. Its a lovely movement, be nice to use it.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Woah. I'm a chick and I think the photos of the original watch piece you have are BEAUTIFUL. What a gorgeous watch!!
The raffles jobbies are so crappy by comparison imo. It doesn't compare at all. I don't mean to pass on a lowsy opinion but it's like swapping a porsche for a tin of tuna in my mind. haha :))

Reactions: Lukey-2

TonyMontana

14/9/24
I think I have a plan, I am going to buy a Raffles Tiffany 31mm case set, turn and mill a movement holder in brass (I own a precision engineering firm) and see if I can set the movement into the case. Its a lovely movement, be nice to use it.

That sounds like a great idea, since you have the capabilities to mod the case you should give it a go, and if it works hopefully you can help us by making us a few (for a price of course 😀)

If anyone wants a case set for 26mm ladies datejust that's the same size as rolex gen case, not like the bulky case set from aliexpress without rolex markings.

Case.
Case back (with rolex engravings).
Newer model so no drilled lugs.
Crystal with 2.5x magnification.
Cz crystal bezel.
Crown with rolex logo.
Movement holder for ETA 2671.
White DWO to fit perfectly with date window and cyclops with the right rolex font and size.
⚠️NO BRACELET OR STRAP!!!! MOVEMENT INCLUDED.

Will upload a few pictures.

Have few gen 26mm rolex dials also available for sale.

Reactions: Lukey-2

TonyMontana

14/9/24
That sounds like a great idea, since you have the capabilities to mod the case you should give it a go, and if it works hopefully you can help us by making us a few (for a price of course 😀)

If anyone wants a case set for 26mm ladies datejust that's the same size as rolex gen case, not like the bulky case set from aliexpress without rolex markings.

Case.
Case back (with rolex engravings).
Newer model so no drilled lugs.
Crystal with 2.5x magnification.
Cz crystal bezel.
Crown with rolex logo.
Movement holder for ETA 2671.
White DWO to fit perfectly with date window and cyclops with the right rolex font and size.
⚠️NO BRACELET OR STRAP!!!! MOVEMENT INCLUDED.

Will upload a few pictures.

Have few gen 26mm rolex dials also available for sale.

Sorry for the dark pictures.

This is to see the bezel better