• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ladies' Rolex thread...a guide to assembling a nice Franken (thread will be updated periodically)

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
I wonder where I could get a set of ETA 2671 hands, without lume (for diamonds or roman numerals on the dial), that are long enough to suit the DJ 26mm. Hands are one of the things I enjoy looking 'correct'. Everything else could be a mishmash and I'd be happy, but hands are my thing I enjoy.
I've seen people use riyi's hands but they look too short in length for the model to me. Just by a little way. They only just reach the index markers on the dial. I'm thinking perhaps I could get a set of GMF 28mm hands for 2671 without lume and just file away the extra length so they look appropriate.
But failing that, I don't think there are any options that suit the look I'd enjoy.

Also, I'm wondering about the crown size. I'm hoping its 5.3mm, because I have one laying around with a tube from a big old ARF 116234.

I found those rubber gaskets mentioned in the link I posted above this. They're easily searchable on ebay, if anyone ever wants to grab them.

Reactions: TonyMontana

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
For an ETA 2671 movement build. Hands are my issue. Two things: Riyi's hands are a little short in length. Riyi doesn't sell non-luminous plain hands for diamond or roman numeral dials. Now neither of these things are a problem really because after a quick google image search I realised gen models have all sorts of hands thrown on them at different times in their life, some short, some with lume despite being on diamond dials.

But in my quest for hands I saw two choices:
1) Get some GMF 28mm hands without lume for 2671 and file them down in length by hand a little.
2) Find another option.

When I learnt that the eta 2671 hand hole sizes are hour hand 1.20mm, 0.7mm minute hand, 0.20mm second hand I realised that maybe a mixture of rolex 2035 hands (hour and minute hand) and 2135 hands (seconds hand) could be used in a sweet combo because their size was the same.
Will it work, or have I lost my mind. Only time will tell haha.

Reactions: TonyMontana

TonyMontana

Getting To Know The Place
14/9/24
THE CONCEPT (aka, the "Rabbit Hole"):

I've fallen down a rabbit hole recently, trying to put together a watch for my girlfriend's birthday (in early June...it was supposed to be a Christmas present, to give an idea of how deep this hole went, lol). After some dead ends and (often costly) mistakes, I finally came up with an acceptable product...and lots of spare parts and solutions to the problems that presented themselves along the way (which will probably wind up as future presents and/or sold here M2M to recoup some of the expense). There's really not a lot of information on building one of these, at least that I could find, and a lot of the information is old, outdated, and very limited.

I decided to put together a post to share what I've learned, and hopefully help anyone wishing to go down the same path can avoid my mistakes. All in, you can put together a watch that looks great, is all gen but the movement and hands, and is damn near indistinguishable from the gen...for about $500 USD or less, depending on how patient you are accumulating the parts. If you keep your eyes open, you can probably add a gen movement and hands down the road (if you find a deal) and have essentially a genuine watch. Women's parts are dirt cheap, relative to men's, with some caveats.

Women's watches generally don't have the popularity that Men's watches do, and as a result, there's not a lot of good offerings in the rep world. Either they don't exist at all, don't have the high quality of the better offerings in men's watches (ie, there's no Clean Explorer or VSF Sub equivalent). There's also a trend toward women wearing wearing larger (men's) watches, which reduces the demand even further. Currently, you can buy a rep of the 28mm, 31mm, or go with a larger 34, 36, or larger watch. I focused on the older, vintage 24mm and 26mm No Date, Date, and Datejust watches, which are classic, timeless, and very femine.

I'll go over the process a step at a time.

THE MOVEMENT (AND HOLDER):

Most women's watches use a variation on the ETA 2671 or Asian clone. Like all ETA movements, the keyless works can be problematic, and working on a movement that's half to 2/3 the size of the 2824 we're familiar with wasn't something I was looking forward to.

After some research, I went with the Seiko NH05, which is comparable in size, very reliable, and considerably cheaper than the ETA (around $30 on AliExpress, vs close to $100 for the ETA clone). The NH05 has a plastic spacer ring included, which attaches to the movement. The spacer is removable, it fits the movement via 2 plastic "pins" that fit into holes in the movement. I have found it to work equally well in either the 24mm or 26mm cases, although the movement holders are different.

The beat rate is 21,600, which is close enough to the Rolex 1161 (18,000 early, 19,800 later) to pass a close inspection. It's a bit slower than the later 203X movement (28,800), but on such a small watch, it's hard to appreciate the difference.

I experimented with modifying this spacer (it's possible to drill holes in the plastic spacer, which will accommodate the dial feet, so they can be used without removing them), but ultimately went with a 3D printed spacer that's a tight fit to the movement and the case, while allowing the rotor to spin. I removed and didn't use the stock plastic spacer.

There's no way to use case clamps this way, but some careful applications of sticky dial holders secures it, and if you experiment with the hight of the holder, it can be a snug, press fit when the case back is screwed on. There's a lip that stops the movement from contacting the dial, so there's room for the date wheel to rotate, and for a DWO to be added to the movement. The 2671 DWO from Raffles should work, although I haven't tried this yet, since I'm waiting for them to arrive. Out of the box, the NH05 date wheel is pretty close to the stock Rolex dial opening, with just a small amount of daylight to the outside edge.

The 3D printed movement holder can be altered by either tweaking the measurements in the CAD file, or with some careful sanding. Generally, when I sand anything 3D printed intended for the inside of a watch, there's some dust created. I wash off what I can under the sink, then hit it (quickly) with a disposable lighter...enough to "melt" the dust and stick it to the holder, but not enough to melt or misshape the part...think about when you pass your finger through a flame...hot enough to feel, but not enough to burn. It seems to work as far as I can tell, although it's not probably "horologist approved," lol.

The 3D movement holder has plenty of space for a DWO.

The Date wheel lines up pretty well with the gen Rolex dial, although there's a little daylight on the outside edge. The font is also wrong, and it's a little sunken. I'm optimistic that the Raffles DWO for the 2671 will work perfectly (I'm waiting for my order to arrive), with a little spacer behind it to bring it closer to the dial.

24mm spacer:

26mm spacer:
Hello, I'm trying to download the spacer file for the 26mm but unfortunately the site says file is not available anymore, I'm at a stage where I really need the spacer and I'm quite lost here, if anyone has the file could you kindly share it please 🙏.

TonyMontana

14/9/24
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. The Seiko movement holder I drew up is a snug, friction fit around the outside of the movement, but it leaves room for the rotor to spin and doesn't interfere with any of the gears on the watch. It also has a snug, friction fit to the inside of the case, so when it's all installed, everything is secure and doesn't move around.

The 3D printed Raffles copy just repeats the dimensions of the Raffles movement holder, so it probably would need to be modified; either dimensionally, with dial dots, or with the addition of cases clamps, although I haven't tried any of this myself, since I don't have a 2671 to experiment with. I would guess some long case clamps attached to the movement itself would work, although there'd likely need to be a cutout in the 3D movement holder to make room for the clamps (like the original Raffles metal movement holder has).

When I get an hour or two, in the next few days, I'm going to add a walkthrough of assembling a watch from a gen case and dial and NH05 movement, using the movement holder I 3D printed. It might make a bit more sense with some photos.
Is the movement holder mentioned for nh05 for 2671 case? Or for a aliexpress nh05 case?

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Hello, I'm trying to download the spacer file for the 26mm but unfortunately the site says file is not available anymore, I'm at a stage where I really need the spacer and I'm quite lost here, if anyone has the file could you kindly share it please 🙏.
If you happen to get very, very stuck, remember there was a chap who put one of these rubber rings in his gen case around his 2671 movement. He just sliced away part of it for the stem to be in place.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I changed the permissions, so you should be able to download this file. Sorry, the permissions were default and it wasn't shareable.

The AliX case shouldn't require a spacer, it's designed for the NH05. The spacer is for using gen Date or Datejust cases.

MS00012

22/11/17
Atlanta
ve a few of the leftover (now nos) ETA
I think all of your datewheel alignments and fonts are just fine, however they come. They're so tiny, in the flesh, that they can afford to be a bit different from gen and it still look mighty fine to me.
However, I've just noticed a 2135 date disc has numbers in the same direction as an ETA. I wonder if one of these could be reshaped and all the centre of it removed to work as a DWO. Will have to play with one.

I don't think you can use the existing datewheel as it is not wide enough. You would have a gap. I'm not sure about the direction piece as I would have to compare both side by side, but you could be screwed in that area as well. I'm not sure about dremmeling off the surround area. The whole datewheel on the 2671 is sunken so you would have to remove a bunch of the movement lip.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
I don't think you can use the existing datewheel as it is not wide enough. You would have a gap. I'm not sure about the direction piece as I would have to compare both side by side, but you could be screwed in that area as well. I'm not sure about dremmeling off the surround area. The whole datewheel on the 2671 is sunken so you would have to remove a bunch of the movement lip.
I'm going to do similar to what this guy had done. His DWO went on a 2671 just fine apparently. https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?...ead-franken-rolex-69173-ladies-26mm-datejust/ Only I plan to use either Riyi's overlay but preferrably I have a gen datewheel that has numbers that go in the same direction as an ETA datewheel.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
Currently I'm just hunting for a good gen case really. :) I expect it to be a small headache, the project. But we shall see which way it goes. Thanks so much for your continued input.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
the biggest problem I have currently is finding ETA hands to fit that are long enough. They all come up a little too short and do not reach the diamond index markers on my dial. So I might order hands as a part only (not whole watch necessarily) from GMF 28mm and file them down a little shorter. (GMF 28mm takes 2671 movement you see)

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Currently I'm just hunting for a good gen case really. :) I expect it to be a small headache, the project. But we shall see which way it goes. Thanks so much for your continued input.
There are cases on Ebay reasonably cheap, usually $150-200 or so. I'd recommend getting one with a bezel if you can, and a crystal and crown if one pops up. It saves a bit of scrambling to source the parts down the road.

Reactions: McDuck888

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
There are cases on Ebay reasonably cheap, usually $150-200 or so. I'd recommend getting one with a bezel if you can, and a crystal and crown if one pops up. It saves a bit of scrambling to source the parts down the road.
Thanks a lot brother. I've looked on ebay but I wish I was nearer the USA for some fantastic prices. The parts are hard to come by over here in the UK at the moment. Some cases have no caseback included (I don't want to have to take a risk by buying one without a caseback, because I may never find a caseback that fits haha.) and I've seen some without case tubes for the winding crown... which also is a bit of a PITA. I will wait until something more worthwhile comes up that includes caseback and tube.
Don't worry, I will persist until I have a complete and decent watch to post here very soon. We will not be screwed - haha. ;) I've been collecting some lovely parts lately. :)

Reactions: dpd3672

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
I now have 3 x 26mm diamond dials. Silver diamond. Blue diamond two tone watch. white MOP two tone watch. So I must make it work ;)

Reactions: dpd3672

automatico

5/10/11
When I learnt that the eta 2671 hand hole sizes are hour hand 1.20mm, 0.7mm minute hand, 0.20mm second hand I realised that maybe a mixture of rolex 2035 hands (hour and minute hand) and 2135 hands (seconds hand) could be used in a sweet combo because their size was the same.

The biggest problem I have currently is finding ETA hands to fit that are long enough.

ETA quartz movements such as 955.112 etc. also use watch hand sizes...hour 1.20, minute .70, and sweep second .20mm. The smaller quartz ETA 956.xxx uses the same sizes so you might find what you want in quartz hands.
The 1.20/.70./20 hand sizes are basically an industry standard for many common movements.

TonyMontana

14/9/24
I changed the permissions, so you should be able to download this file. Sorry, the permissions were default and it wasn't shareable.

The AliX case shouldn't require a spacer, it's designed for the NH05. The spacer is for using gen Date or Datejust cases.

Yes, so I'm using a replica case that is a 1:1 copy of the gen and its designed for eta 2671, if I didn't understand correctly is this spacer for the nh05 to fit in a genuine case? If that's the case then thank you so much for the help because that's exactly what I need.

Reactions: McDuck888

TonyMontana

14/9/24
Thanks a lot brother. I've looked on ebay but I wish I was nearer the USA for some fantastic prices. The parts are hard to come by over here in the UK at the moment. Some cases have no caseback included (I don't want to have to take a risk by buying one without a caseback, because I may never find a caseback that fits haha.) and I've seen some without case tubes for the winding crown... which also is a bit of a PITA. I will wait until something more worthwhile comes up that includes caseback and tube.
Don't worry, I will persist until I have a complete and decent watch to post here very soon. We will not be screwed - haha. ;) I've been collecting some lovely parts lately. :)
Did you manage to fit an nh05 in a genuine 26mm case?

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Yes, my builds use a NH05 movement. I haven't done anything with a 2671, yet.

TonyMontana

14/9/24
@TonyMontana Would you mind sharing where you found a case please? I nearly bought gen but it's so expensive.
I got it from a local guy who puts watches together (Sunday Market). It was the only case that came with case back. I had to source gen dial and hands, and crystal. Will attach some pictures if I have them on my phone. I also sourced a cheap bezel. The chap said these cases are not available anymore as they were made in the early 2000's and nobody makes or even wants 26mm replicas 🤷‍♂️, I guess that makes sense since even rolex stopped making them. I'm at a stage where I don't want to use nh05 movement but I don't have the movement holder yet for it to fit the case and align with the steam.
https://images.clickpix.org/hrVHUS.jpeg[/img]

Also have a look at a small video I made on reddit as I can't post videos here

If you have any further questions let me know.