• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The best Vodka money can buy....

Boristhespie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/1/16
A number of new distilleries have opened near her. ARBIKIE potatoe vodka is nice but overpriced. Ogilvie's potatoe vodka is more like it. Nice and creamy.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

GhostPilot

14/6/15
+ I think that best vodka from Russia:)

I'd have to agree, those bottles are hard to get in Canada you have to import them or go to specialty stores in Alberta. Has anyone tried Red Tassel, it is a cheap Russian vodka that is a real good buy for the price.

10430927.jpg

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Slightly off topic, but I believe they consider anyone 4'10 or under a dwarf.

They do. And that is quite random Rob! lol

I've never understood vodka. I put it in drinks? Do you drink it straight? See, I drink beer, whickey/bourbon etc. If i'm mixing the whiskey, then I'll get a cheap one.. So with Vodka, I usually just use Kettle one. I feel like spending anything more is a waste to mix.. But i'm a vodka noob. Who has the best sub!? I mean, vodka?

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
They do. And that is quite random Rob! lol

I've never understood vodka. I put it in drinks? Do you drink it straight? See, I drink beer, whickey/bourbon etc. If i'm mixing the whiskey, then I'll get a cheap one.. So with Vodka, I usually just use Kettle one. I feel like spending anything more is a waste to mix.. But i'm a vodka noob. Who has the best sub!? I mean, vodka?

I've been drinking a good amount of stoli lately. If I cant find any i'll switch to Grey Goose or Ketel one. I used to really like "Six" Vodka (the house vodka from Albertsons) but I dont think you can buy it anymore.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
Many good vodkas ... but just 1 way to enjoy it .... squezed bolivians oranges from el torno,ice and vodka . Best drink ever ... you would turn into an alcoholic, divorce your wife, leave the kids and sell ur replica collection to buy more of those oranges ... yeap! U herad good ... the addiction is on the oranges bro ... they look like shit from the outside ..organic sweet as silvia saints pussy in the 90's and when is the season u can buy 100 for 3 dolars ..... sounds crazy but these hell can be a paradise

imported

28/3/16
Russian standard is very rough, if you do a shot of RS and compare to a shot or Ciroc or Grey then you'll notice that RS has a chemical acidic taste whereas the premium vodkas are smooth like water. When knocking back the shots it can mean the difference with your eyes not watering.

I think the best is Kettle one. Unfortunately the bottle is terrible which is why it's so underrated.

cundiff5535

Known Member
12/4/16
ChiTown
Love this topic... its interesting actually. Vodka is the only liquor that folks "try" to get to taste like nothing. The closer you can get it to flavorless the better... Just a interesting concept!

In saying that, I was a huge Vodka drinker in my 20's and have since moved onto Scotch and Whiskeys.

I have tried all the Vodkas mentioned in this thread and Ill give you a list of what I personally think is worth the time.

Stoli Elite
Purity
Belv
GG
Kettle
Ciroc
Smirnoff
Titos

My favorite Vodka of all though is Hanger One...

In saying that, I have done over 50 room temp blind taste tests with friends etc... Smirnoff wins every single time. Its amazing that a $15-$20 bottle of vodka can win when comparing to some upwards of $75 bucks.

The only way to tell is a blind test, and see for yourself!

cundiff5535

Known Member
12/4/16
ChiTown
Absolut flavoured is good, but if you are in the US then SKYY flavoured is a better choice.

If you like flavored/infused vodka, look around for Hanger One... Thank me later!

There was a Martini bar whose owner was an Alum of the college I played basketball for. We would go in all the time... My name there was "Hanger Bobby"... Even had a few martinis named after me:) Good times, miss that joint!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Expensive Vodka is just that, expensive. It's made to sell to fools in nightclubs at silly prices. These guys think if it's expensive it must be good and of course they can display their supposed wealth by putting $300 bottles of the stuff on their tab.

If you want great Vodka take a cheap one and run it thru a charcoal filter a dozen times or as above just drink Smirnoff or maybe Stolli.

cundiff5535

Known Member
12/4/16
ChiTown
Expensive Vodka is just that, expensive. It's made to sell to fools in nightclubs at silly prices. These guys think if it's expensive it must be good and of course they can display their supposed wealth by putting $300 bottles of the stuff on their tab.

If you want great Vodka take a cheap one and run it thru a charcoal filter a dozen times or as above just drink Smirnoff or maybe Stolli.

I know this is going off topic, but the $300 dollar bottle only comes into play got the margin of a night-clubs profit. It doesnt matter what bottle you buy, the $25 dollar of Smirnoff or the $40 dollar of Goose... the mark up is at least 100% on it. Sure a lot has to do with "look how cool/how much money I have". A lot has to do with what the Nightclub is gonna charge you per drink.

When we used to go to Vegas, it made far more sense to pay $550 buck for two bottles, a table, and walk to the front of the line... split between 5 guys. That was $110 a guy. To get into the club typically runs $30-$50 bucks (plus about a 3 hours wait), drinks ran $20-$25 bucks per drink, and then the hassle of trying to find a spot to hang out and not get bumped into. The $110 per was a steal at that point.

As for "why Vodka" at the club... its the most common thing you can mix with simple soft drinks and juices. Its also the thing that requires that least amount of skill to mix.

Totally agree in most cases, but I tend to think that the bottle service thing makes sense... depending on situation and where you are.

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
I keep Smirnoff in a nice 1.5 liter grey goose special edition bottle.
One of the best reps I own.
Never been questioned on it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

imported

28/3/16
Ok, a few days ago I remembered this thread as I was looking at a bottle of Grey Goose and Absolut (unflavoured). I was going to ask someone to pour a shot of each to do a blind taste test, but before I did I had a sip of both. The taste was so different that I didn't even bother:xd:! Vodka will always taste like vodka, but premium vodka has less of the taste (like watered down) while maintaining the same ABV, which I guess is from the extra distillation. Alcohol in general tastes terrible, which is why alcohol-free drinks don't sell well. Vodka is the most tasteless alcohol and I think that's why so many people think that premium vodka is all hype, they're forgetting that the quality is all about the lack of taste.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yup and as I said mate, run it thru a charcoal filter a few times and even a cheap vodka becomes almost tasteless. Water it down with distilled water and run it thru a still a few more times and it's a dead ringer for the expensive stuff.

As for GG at $40 a bottle I wish, it's twice that here. The cheapest spirits available in OZ would be around 35 a 700ml bottle. Around 40% of that is tax.