• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

michaeldingyi

Do not accept unsolicited offers
2/10/24
Looking at the 16202 too. Not sure what pizza hands mean.

APSF for the 15500 blue is good? I've gone through discussions, megathreads, and google spreadsheets saying it is, but just needed another confirmation.

And I've also been reading some of the replies above mine - some are recommending the black dial RO over the blue because getting close to the gen blue look requires modding?

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
If you absolutely want a 15202/16202 now, get the ZF and ask @legend kindly to modify the pizza hands. However, you'll still the have the old style manual date change procedure which is standard for the gen 15202 but not for the gen 16202.
Thanks for that.

Darn, who would have thought XF would have such a limited run at the 15202, I guess I shouldnt have assumed they’d just keep updating versions

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks for that.

Darn, who would have thought XF would have such a limited run at the 15202, I guess I shouldnt have assumed they’d just keep updating versions
Unfortunately, XF was shut down about three years ago during a raid. XF was a promising factory with a bright outlook, particularly with their 15202 model.

Reactions: AG91

SportieBordie

29/10/23
Hi Guys!

A noobie here.. So apologies if my question is dumb =_=. I’m planning to get this watch:

What mods can be done to make it more closer to gen? or do you think it’s not worthy for this model and ZF already had done the job..

Thank you so so much!

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
You can throw literally thousands of dollars at that watch, but why? First of all, the replica has a Miyota movement, which I personally like, but it is totally different from the GEN's Caliber 2121, which itself is based on Jaeger Le Coultre's Caliber 920.

Artyfowl

You a college guy or something….?
Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/5/24
UK - London
Guys I’m going to upgrade the crystals on some 44mm Roos and a couple of divers…. Perhaps my 15500.

I was thinking about possibly changing the date wheels for better whilst the movements are out?

Are upgraded wheels available for the 44mm and 42 divers? Or are they generally classed as good enough these days? From memory there’s a mix of apsf, zf and jf.

Artyfowl

You a college guy or something….?
Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/5/24
UK - London
Oh another question sorry… the date magnifier. Is this a seperate upgrade to the crystal? Looks to be fitted to the actual dial. Would anyone please advise how the dial is constructed to help me figure out how and if I should change this also. Thank you

WaterMelonWatch

10/10/24
For the 15400 blue dial, comparing ZF and APSF, which one do you think is closer to the GEN?

Thank you ahead for answering!

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Wondering . . . what's the composition of the AP ROOs that have gold components, either case or bezel, plus pods?
Are they made from steel and plated, or are they a solid alloy of various metals such as copper and other alloys?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Wondering . . . what's the composition of the AP ROOs that have gold components, either case or bezel, plus pods?
Are they made from steel and plated, or are they a solid alloy of various metals such as copper and other alloys?
Actually you need to clarify the intent of your question. Is it purely academic?

Rose gold itself is an alloy consisting of copper and other alloys, namely gold, nickel and silver. Rose gold plating uses largely the same composition but in the form of a surface plating on a base material like steel. Different brands use different composition blends to achieve different color hues in their rose gold models.
When you see gold in reps it’s largely plating. If you cut a rose gold plated bezel for example into half you can see mostly steel in the cross section, and only the surface is rose gold color.

Reactions: cotti-rottie

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
@legend . . . thank you, Sir!

Allow me to explain why I am asking this question.

I have a 10+ year old AP ROO with a rose gold bezel and rose gold pods.
The leather around the insert that attaches to the watch was getting loose, so I used leather glue to re-attach it.
My mistake was not to remove the leather strap from the watch, so I got some of the glue on the pods.
Tomorrow, I want to use some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip to remove the glue residue on the pods. I'm just a big concerned if the pods are just lightly plated, that I may cause more damage to it. Hence my question if the (fake) rose gold is "solid" or just a thin layer of plating?

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I will need to remove strap and pods in order to do a proper cleanup.
Does any of you have a link to Ali for the strap changing tool kit? The ones on Amazon and eBay cost way too much money this purpose . . .