• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

speedywombat

Supporter
Certified
29/7/23
Just wondering if anyone had any experience with 15202IP from XF or ZF. Trying to get one but not sure which one from XF or ZF is more get-accurate in term of dial color, since they differ quite a bit!

AAA US

Horology Curious
24/2/24
So many gen Ap’s cost around 50 000 euro and much higher then that. And many replicas like the Diver or the 15500 cost around 5-800 dollars. The rep’s will never be a gen watch, no matter what one choose do with it. As many here has mentioned, one should enjoy them for what they are. I totally agree with that, especially since the gen watches (not only AP) cost a lot of money.

My question is, for annexample the Diver and the 15500, the factories have apparently been able to make them very ’close’ looking to the gen (most people wouldnt know), and the movements are from what I read very nice/ gen looking.

So if these factories could charge 3-5000 dollars (when the gen is 50000 dollars). What would they have been able to provide instead?

Trying to wrap my head around how good they could be, if they really wanted to invest more in the production.

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
So many gen Ap’s cost around 50 000 euro and much higher then that. And many replicas like the Diver or the 15500 cost around 5-800 dollars. The rep’s will never be a gen watch, no matter what one choose do with it. As many here has mentioned, one should enjoy them for what they are. I totally agree with that, especially since the gen watches (not only AP) cost a lot of money.

My question is, for annexample the Diver and the 15500, the factories have apparently been able to make them very ’close’ looking to the gen (most people wouldnt know), and the movements are from what I read very nice/ gen looking.

So if these factories could charge 3-5000 dollars (when the gen is 50000 dollars). What would they have been able to provide instead?

Trying to wrap my head around how good they could be, if they really wanted to invest more in the production.
Im sure they could be 99.9% but no one will invest that, reps are a business that alone will be it less or not profitable. That’s why we mod ours or check out amf modding here.

notsojollyjay

Looking Around
19/3/24
Hi all

Is the 15500 apsf the same weight overall as gen?

Also is gold a viable option or stick to ss and what's people's thoughts on the frosted versions quality.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi all

Is the 15500 apsf the same weight overall as gen?

Also is gold a viable option or stick to ss and what's people's thoughts on the frosted versions quality.
It’s in the same weight ballpark. Weight isn’t a tell. For gold I assume you meant plated ones If so you need to understand the weight will of course be off and it’ll be a matter of time (typically more than a year) before the plating wears off.

Reactions: notsojollyjay

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA

Your assumptions are somewhat strange. Maybe I didnt understand correctly, so please correct me if need be.

Firstly, the market for such a pricetag for a FAKE is very small at best. Thus it makes literally zero sense for any type of large-scale production.

Secondly, the difference in price of machinery, talent pool and all associated costs between an awful fake and a great fake is minuscule in comparison with a great fake and a Gen. Sure, there are companies that are capable (and btw a LOT of factories are capable) to produce a Gen-like watch, but it wont be several thousand, but more like 20.000.
The associated R&D costs alone will never be returned if the price is lower, because reason no.1, not to mention profits and further R&D to stay on edge and relevant.

Thats why specialized niche companies, modders and other professional watchmakers and hobbyists are involved in modifying their watches, building custom ones, or recreating a gen watch from gen components.

Like @joeyc said. Check out the modder section of the forum. LOTS to see there!
Im sure they could be 99.9% but no one will invest that, reps are a business that alone will be it less or not profitable. That’s why we mod ours or check out amf modding here.

Reactions: joeyc and AAA US

Kongor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/15
Hi all,
Does anyone know if ZF's 15202/16202 movements will fit inside an XF 15202? I know the ZF watches are thicker to accommodate the deco plate, but I'd swear I read about someone somewhere doing a straight movement swap without any issues.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi all,
Does anyone know if ZF's 15202/16202 movements will fit inside an XF 15202? I know the ZF watches are thicker to accommodate the deco plate, but I'd swear I read about someone somewhere doing a straight movement swap without any issues.
It’ll fit in principle.

Reactions: joeyc and Kongor

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi all,
The movements used in those watches are the same Miyota 9015 so there shouldn't be any problems that I'm aware of. Perhaps somebody else, like @legend , could chime in.

Last edited:

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Firstly, the market for such a pricetag for a FAKE is very small at best. Thus it makes literally zero sense for any type of large-scale production!
This, it appears to me that although a good few people (watch enthusiasts) who know I wear reps, and like them, they're not willing to drop £3-600 on one, let alone a couple of grand or more.

I picked up the last two cheap 15202 quartz from RepsourceUK, I wanted both as I have 8.5" wrists and I wanted to be sure I had the links available.
Sure enough I needed to nick two links, I kept the black one and sold the blue in about 5 mins in my workplace! Just shows people want pretty watches, they don't want to spend even quartz PRX money on them.

It's easy on here to get the impression every rep wearer is happy to spend up towards a grand on a nice rep, that's not true I don't think.

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
So my stainless 15500 apsf v3 the weight is almost the same as Gen, it’s slughtly heavier by like 10gm. It’s a heavy watch I broke out the food scale

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
ok i just weighed them 167gm
For the rep 15500 apsf v3 , 175gm for an ap 15500

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
2 links and it's there lol. Nobody will be able to tell.
The spring barrel slippage is a bigger worry.
I had it serviced a year ago and it started slipping again. 🤕

JJReddick

Looking Around
7/4/24
Hi there!
I'm thinking of buying a ZF 15450 with the white dial. It comes with a 3120 movement, which means no instant date change.
I was wondering around what time does it start changing the date?
Can anyone please let me know his personal experience with this beautiful timepiece?
Thank you

JJ

zerodreamy

29/6/23
Canada
A question for those that have the experience: does the clone 3120's filled-in rotor provide better winding efficiency compared to the clone 4302's? With the 4302's rotor this becomes a 100hr ritual. Thanks!

nathanwind

30/4/23
NY, USA
Ok bear with me here, though I did read all 63 pages from this thread (as well as the 'faq' page for the AP). My question is specifically related to the 'noise' on the MY9015, but currently I'm torn between:
-APSF 15400 w/ Miyota 9015
-APSF V3 15400 w/ clone 3120

I have read through all the 'differences' for dial color (want the blue...and sort of like the 'lighter' blue on the earlier APSF 9015 admittedly), instant date change (don't care about that), etc.

My main question/concern is about the 'noise' from the MY9105...how bad is it? Am I going to hear it when it's on my wrist? Or is the case thickness/etc on the 15400 enough to dampen that, and you'll only hear/notice any noise when 'shaking' the watch?

I do like/lean towards what I've read on the workhorse reliability of the 9015 - but it's the potential rocks in a tin can sound that has me giving pause. I did see the 3120 have a few (though minor) issues in my reading through this thread, and see that it's recommended to give it a service within 6mos (would rather not have to go down this route). BUT...if the 9015 is deafening then that may steer me away from it...

Rantanplan

31/1/22
Ok bear with me here, though I did read all 63 pages from this thread (as well as the 'faq' page for the AP). My question is specifically related to the 'noise' on the MY9015, but currently I'm torn between:
-APSF 15400 w/ Miyota 9015
-APSF V3 15400 w/ clone 3120

I have read through all the 'differences' for dial color (want the blue...and sort of like the 'lighter' blue on the earlier APSF 9015 admittedly), instant date change (don't care about that), etc.

My main question/concern is about the 'noise' from the MY9105...how bad is it? Am I going to hear it when it's on my wrist? Or is the case thickness/etc on the 15400 enough to dampen that, and you'll only hear/notice any noise when 'shaking' the watch?

I do like/lean towards what I've read on the workhorse reliability of the 9015 - but it's the potential rocks in a tin can sound that has me giving pause. I did see the 3120 have a few (though minor) issues in my reading through this thread, and see that it's recommended to give it a service within 6mos (would rather not have to go down this route). BUT...if the 9015 is deafening then that may steer me away from it...
Miyota 9015: If you silence the rotor with few drops of special movement oil you will hear nothing except your breath. I have the 15500 with Miyota and my watchmaker silenced it four years ago. It runs perfect with absolutely no noise.
What is that with sound like "rocks in a tin"?? Did you ask Fred Flintstone or Burny Rubble from the Flintstone's here?
:ROFLMAO:
Believe me that is nonsense.
The second point for me is, the Miyotas are very reliable and long life movements. And if something broken after years, you will get all the parts on next door, or the whole movement for less money.
I would not trust in the clone movements. If there is something broken, it will be very complicated and expensive to get the right parts, IMO. Correct me, if I' wrong.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Miyota 9015: If you silence the rotor with few drops of special movement oil you will hear nothing except your breath. I have the 15500 with Miyota and my watchmaker silenced it four years ago. It runs perfect with absolutely no noise.
What is that with sound like "rocks in a tin"?? Did you ask Fred Flintstone or Burny Rubble from the Flintstone's here?
:ROFLMAO:
Believe me that is nonsense.
The second point for me is, the Miyotas are very reliable and long life movements. And if something broken after years, you will get all the parts on next door, or the whole movement for less money.
I would not trust in the clone movements. If there is something broken, it will be very complicated and expensive to get the right parts, IMO. Correct me, if I' wrong.
You’re not wrong. Relative to the miyota movement, parts for the clone movement are a lot harder to source and the movement is more complex to fix. Correct on both counts.

But the clone movement is rather beautiful compared with the miyota. It’s like dating that drab looking girl who expects only fast food for every date vs that hot looking one which is a lot higher maintenance… but hey each time you hold her your knees start drumming out their own beat.
Worth is very subjective sir. To each his own and personally I would go for a well maintained clone movement. They work but they need maintenance for them to work well and reliably.

Reactions: nathanwind

lostboy

Horology Curious
13/2/14
Dear all, I have a JF AP ROO v1.
As JF is no longer in operation, Can I check which watch factory have the updated date wheel and cyclops which I can purchase?
Thank you!