• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The AP questions thread (All the questions you want to ask about AP but were afraid to)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The earlier 15400s had WG screws. But from the J series onward, the screws were silently changed to stainless steel ones apparently. I have 4 gen 15500s now and they all have stainless steel screws. The difference is distinct visually once you know what WG screws look like.

Reactions: Allure and Tiger4

Trell1114

Horology Curious
2/11/19
Given the better dial, and apparently nicer looking hands, I will. I have not had one in hand yet, so this is from pictures which I have seen.
I wonder since it's printed on the movement would it be possible to correct the "JEWEE" Now I'm conflicted if I should tell my TD to switch to the ZF

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
If this is a stupid question you have my permission to flame the s#%t out of me…
I’m completely infatuated with 42mm AP Offshores and Divers but think to be more well rounded I would like to have a 15500. Been reading endless threads about different versions (mainly ZF and APSF models) and would like to know the following: between ZF version 1,2 and now 3 is the fit and finish of dial, date, case the same (movement aside)? Also with the APSF models (movement aside)? I ask because just when I’m about to pull the trigger and order another model is released. I’m not to fussed about what movement is in my watch to be honest as long as it’s decent and functions somewhat normal. I have a feeling quite a few V1s and V2s will be available soon via m2m so might make more sense for me to pick up one of those instead of going through the waiting game with a TD, only to find I don’t gel with the RO series ultimately…. If you have read this far I salute you, if you haven’t I’m still typing this for no apparent reason 😂
Go Easy On Me GIF by Adele

Reactions: daytona4me

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Found the answer I was looking for after a little research, no need to follow up thanks:)

josh888

Looking Around
27/8/22
Hello Everyone! I am new here and im looking for some wise advice :).
Which is the very best high-end available AP Royal Oak 37mm blue dial available?
And where do you recommend to get it? Thank you very much in advance!

purplehaze89

Known Member
18/9/21
Legend - if you've serviced one are the newer 3120 movements free sprung or have they done a better job hiding the regulator?

whereas the first 3120 clones had the blatant regulator visible

Just curious because adding a free sprung is a pretty good step forward for clones no?

GJU

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/7/22
General question: When it come to 15202, the forum often mention XF and ZF but what are you thought about BF?
I have just seen a watch with a green dial. From the pictures available it does not look too bad. Is there any specific defect or no-go to be considered?

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Which is the very best high-end available AP Royal Oak 37mm blue dial available?
I'm aware of JF 15450. I've heard JF have stopped production so I'm not sure if the watch can be ordered from TDs like JTime (https://jtime.io/us/royal-oak-37mm-15450-ss-jf-1-1-best-edition-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a3120.html). Another trustable source of used reps and parts can be the RWI members sales and trade area (https://forum.replica-watch.info/forums/member-sales-and-trade-area.9951834/)

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
General question: When it come to 15202, the forum often mention XF and ZF but what are you thought about BF?
I have just seen a watch with a green dial. From the pictures available it does not look too bad. Is there any specific defect or no-go to be considered?
Based on a TD's pics the bezel screws look to be too close to the bezel edge and the watch also suffers from the ZF's "pizza hand" syndrome.

Reactions: legend and GJU

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Have a look at the modified JF AP 15450 offered by Alpha Modding (AMF) in the Trusted Dealer section.

Reactions: grillbrill

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
Hi,

i have a question regarding the AP 15703 from JF. To be more specific about the Dials of V 10 compared to 9.5

While 9.5 looks more mate, Dial and inner Bezel on V10 is much more flashy or laquered now. Hills and Valleys are shinny. And: It looks to me like the Numbers of Circles have increased now from 13 to 16 (Number of Lines on the "Hills").

So the most asked question is: Which one looks more Gen? More = finer Circles is more towards gen but the shine? Maybe both? Or none? @legend or @QueTip maybe can tell?

Just for comparison, i added a picture of the XF AP15706.

Oh and one more thing.... to me it looks like the V10 Cyclops has more reflections and lower magnification? Which one should i prefer?

Reactions: TheReplicator

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Ok some facts for you @HorologyFreak

1. Gen dials come in both matte and gloss and in fact varying degrees in between depending on batch.

2. Same for the cyclop, there are slight variations in the curvature and clarity but my personal favorite is the H series one.

3. I think you can safely forget about the swirls per tapisserie. Trust me, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will be able to call the watch out based on this in real life. If you have time to count this you really have a little more time on your hands than you should sir.

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
Ok some facts for you @HorologyFreak

1. Gen dials come in both matte and gloss and in fact varying degrees in between depending on batch.

2. Same for the cyclop, there are slight variations in the curvature and clarity but my personal favorite is the H series one.

3. I think you can safely forget about the swirls per tapisserie. Trust me, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will be able to call the watch out based on this in real life. If you have time to count this you really have a little more time on your hands than you should sir.

And if id ask you for your personal taste, which one would you prefer?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Hi,

i have a question regarding the AP 15703 from JF. To be more specific about the Dials of V 10 compared to 9.5

While 9.5 looks more mate, Dial and inner Bezel on V10 is much more flashy or laquered now. Hills and Valleys are shinny. And: It looks to me like the Numbers of Circles have increased now from 13 to 16 (Number of Lines on the "Hills").

So the most asked question is: Which one looks more Gen? More = finer Circles is more towards gen but the shine? Maybe both? Or none? @legend or @QueTip maybe can tell?

Just for comparison, i added a picture of the XF AP15706.

Oh and one more thing.... to me it looks like the V10 Cyclops has more reflections and lower magnification? Which one should i prefer?

Both are in some way correct for the corresponding reference. It comes down to personal taste. I personally prefer the ZF over the JF.