• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
Just beautiful.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
#FBF
previous build

Ruby 1016 case
Yuki dial and hands
raffles bracelet
EKqvi.jpg

Reactions: pompompurin

Julian13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/12/15
I’d like to know the same thing. Is that a Ruby dial?

rm1406

Horology Curious
20/5/17
United States

This is a build that's been a work in progress for quite some time now. Finally got a hold of a whoopy dial after selling mine some time ago. Still needs luming, but couldn't help myself so I dropped it in the case.

JMB v1
Whoopy dial
mix and match hands (clark's hour, 13mm minutes and seconds from Helenarou)
Gen Crown
Gen 2824 (hoping to convert to low beat and remove date function at some point)
Mary 7836 bracelet (if memory serves)

watchdogg

12/3/10
United States
So I did my first build. I realize this is a bit sacrilegious, and nothing about it that is correct, and I have not "softened" the case or tried to make it look owned, period-specific or even aged. It will get there on it's own. However, this does not diminish my enjoyment of wearing this watch. It all came from Raffles, except the PT5000 from EBAY' which is running off only 2 seconds a day without any regulation.

I installed a PT5000 (ETA 2824) which is a high beat movement. Not correct but I love high beat movements. I did however address the ghost date issue by swapping out the set lever from an ETA 2801 (part #445). Now, it only has two positions. It makes me smile.
zARaKE.jpg

This build has piqued my interest in an Explorer build that is different. Maybe more accurate, but maybe not. Possibly more custom (not necessarily more accurate)..... even though my old eyes cannot tell the correct details unless blown up on the computer.

Please don't scold me, but I would like a domed SAPPHIRE crystal. I realize sapphire is not for the purest, but this build will never be the real deal and I hate scratches on my crystal. As I said, my eyes are so bad, that I need all the help I can get. Can anyone tell what size crystal can be ordered which will be a direct swap without any modifications to the RAFFLES CASE?

Given my affinity for the ETA 2824, will a Ruby's dial work with them? Ruby's only lists GEN 15XX series movement will work?

I was going to order the ETA Yuki dial, but man! The shipping is punitive for just one little dial. Raffles shipping is free.

Just how much better is the Ruby rivet bracelet than the Raffles? I have the Raffles. It is adequate, but if the Rubies is "a lot" better, I might go for it even though it is 4X-5X the price.

Much earlier in this thread, I came across MQ for parts, dials, hands etc.... Are prices consistent with others?

Last edited:

watchdogg

12/3/10
United States
Really nicely and well done. I am doing the same one with a rivet bracelet as I write this. How did you age the dial.... it looks very legit!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Really nicely and well done. I am doing the same one with a rivet bracelet as I write this. How did you age the dial.... it looks very legit!

Thanks , this is my second attempt at the aging on the albino

this was my first attempt
jJQ69W.jpg

I used water based air brush paints . It didn't quite come out like I wanted so I cleared off the paint and redid it. The solution I used was a bit aggressive and it started to remove some of the text which is fine as these were allegedly test dials and an uneven print is plausible. then it kicked around in draws and bins for a few years until some watchmaker found them and swapped them into standard 1016.

The current is done with Tamiya dry aging paints. it looks like make up but its for detail work on models. This dial and had set are not in a watch right now and am thinking of selling it on or willing to build it for someone if desired.

Tamiya aging products Weathering Master Set with 1001hobbies (#085 85)

Omage

8/6/22

You got a smoking, smoking deal on this watch. Eta, reworked case, the works, great watch for that price.
And how classy on a black strap!
Did you ever discover where is the case from?

RolETA2824

14/8/20
EU
You got a smoking, smoking deal on this watch. Eta, reworked case, the works, great watch for that price.
And how classy on a black strap!
Did you ever discover where is the case from?

The case is from Raffelsdials.
Reshaping is spot on. The Explorer is getting
A lot of wrist time.

Hrcworks

22/6/22
Great thread, anyone know if a gen 1560 movement will fit in the Vietnam case?