• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
We’re all zeroed in, there’s no end-play, side-play; it’s all tight, so I have no idea why I’m cacking myself about it. I suppose it’s because the bridges are irreplaceable and I’ve only got one shot at it.

But somebody’s got to have a go at it if I’m going to get this watch working again.
And I guess that’s me.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
We’re all zeroed in, there’s no end-play, side-play; it’s all tight, so I have no idea why I’m cacking myself about it. I suppose it’s because the bridges are irreplaceable and I’ve only got one shot at it.

But somebody’s got to have a go at it if I’m going to get this watch working again.
And I guess that’s me.
It’s my grandfather’s watch-and he was a neurologist and later a psychiatrist. This was a present from my grandmother to him when he retired from work. So those of you who know me now - and what has been happening in my life over the last six months - know how important it is that I get this right and get this watch working again properly. X

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
In other news I’m really enjoying the 1 016 with the sapphire Crystal-does that make me a bad person?

• Haha
Reactions: 369mafia

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
It’s my grandfather’s watch-and he was a neurologist and later a psychiatrist. This was a present from my grandmother to him when he retired from work. So those of you who know me now - and what has been happening in my life over the last six months - know how important it is that I get this right and get this watch working again properly. X

Even though I don't know you well enough to know what has been happening in your life on a personal level, I do know that you are part of the 1016 family here and we're pulling for you. Hang in there, take your time repairing the watch, and in the end it will all be worth it.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Even though I don't know you well enough to know what has been happening in your life on a personal level, I do know that you are part of the 1016 family here and we're pulling for you. Hang in there, take your time repairing the watch, and in the end it will all be worth it.
I am very proud to be one of the brothers of the 1016 thread and thank you, brother, for that kindness.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
It's so tricky trying to constantly eliminate the backlash in the Cross Carriage on each pass - even though the backlash is maybe no more than 0.2mm - that's enough to cause error.

How these people did this kind of precision in the 17th/ 18th Century is simply beyond me. They were truly driven/ possessed by the emerging technology I suppose.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
It's so tricky trying to constantly eliminate the backlash in the Cross Carriage on each pass - even though the backlash is maybe no more than 0.2mm - that's enough to cause error.

How these people did this kind of precision in the 17th/ 18th Century is simply beyond me. They were truly driven/ possessed by the emerging technology I suppose.

That is what I often marvel at. working on watches without even proper light even....like how??

Reactions: 316lad

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
That is what I often marvel at. working on watches without even proper light even....like how??
There was a rumour that Thomas Mudge (invented the English Lever-Escapement in the 1750's) only ever worked by candlelight - he preferred it.
Just how?

I can't see without my 300W LED Bench Light.

• Wow

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Sunday Coffee and watches..
And a very nice couple of watches too, 369!

I love that one on the right - that is such a good dial. I do appreciate the Honeycomb dials and Second Hand used for them for what they represent in the chronology of Rolex's design history - which is a fascinating subject in itself - but I'm not a huge fan of them. The Explorer on the right is absolutely true to the original design brief - which was to make an easily readable dial - able to survive all conditions it might find itself in, and provide an aesthetic experience to the wearer. That one ticks all of those boxes absolutely.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
And also - is that not a "Fat Font" dial - about which we had some laughs the other day . . . :ROFLMAO:

• Haha