• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
Interesting - it seems to be a "bitsa" with a rep dial at a fraction of the cost of a gen 6350... I wonder if it is worth the sum of its parts 🤔

Depends on how you look at it. If you accept that everything is gen except the dial, you either start with a gen 6350 and then swap dial and hands, or source a gen case, hands, crown, movement, etc. which could take a long time. Either way, sourcing will be expensive and maybe time consuming. If you are patient, and don't place too much value on your time, you could probably do it cheaper. But I think I've seen a 6350 case once for like $3-4000, never saw gen 6350 Explorer hands, saw a gen A296 movement a few times for $3000+.

But I will say that rep dial is quite nice.

Reactions: Karbon74

terranova42

Getting To Know The Place
29/7/17
I know this is probably something super obvious, but I don't feel like scanning 267 pages, haha.

How do you secure the NH38 movement to the Raffles case? This is my first time working on watches in any capacity. Diving right in.

My case came with a couple rings and some tabs & screws. If I'm understanding properly, the rings are for 2824 movements, but do the tabs & screws attach to the NH38? I know it drops in easily, but even with the crown screwed down it's moving around, so I'm presuming I'm forgetting to do something.

I can see spots where screws might go, but unsure on how to attach the tabs to the movement. Do I install the tabs to the case, then drop the movement in? Install everything to the movement? Close to the finish line, just need to solve this last step.

Reactions: GenuineFool

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I know this is probably something super obvious, but I don't feel like scanning 267 pages, haha.

How do you secure the NH38 movement to the Raffles case? This is my first time working on watches in any capacity. Diving right in.

My case came with a couple rings and some tabs & screws. If I'm understanding properly, the rings are for 2824 movements, but do the tabs & screws attach to the NH38? I know it drops in easily, but even with the crown screwed down it's moving around, so I'm presuming I'm forgetting to do something.

I can see spots where screws might go, but unsure on how to attach the tabs to the movement. Do I install the tabs to the case, then drop the movement in? Install everything to the movement? Close to the finish line, just need to solve this last step.

I never used a Nh38 in a raffles case, but I do use them in my 14060 builds

I use a spring washer that goes around the rotor and the caseback presses on it

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 4,47€ | NH Watch Movement Stainless Steel Holding Ring Gasket Movement Support Ring Fit NH35 NH36 Watches Movement Accessories

There are also plastic spacers. Raffles can provide them if you ask or you can shop around on AliX

terranova42

29/7/17
I never used a Nh38 in a raffles case, but I do use them in my 14060 builds

I use a spring washer that goes around the rotor and the caseback presses on it

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 4,47€ | NH Watch Movement Stainless Steel Holding Ring Gasket Movement Support Ring Fit NH35 NH36 Watches Movement Accessories

There are also plastic spacers. Raffles can provide them if you ask or you can shop around on AliX
Interesting. I'll have to double check what I have among the parts - wonder if I already have a spacer.

The standard plastic movement holder that comes on the NH38 from AliX is too big for sure, but maybe there is something else I received that I'm overlooking.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Interesting. I'll have to double check what I have among the parts - wonder if I already have a spacer.

The standard plastic movement holder that comes on the NH38 from AliX is too big for sure, but maybe there is something else I received that I'm overlooking.

The NH38 comes inside a grey plastic ring.
You need to keep that ring around the movement, because it also helps to secure the dial in place
That assembly fits in the case.

If you also have a standard white « big » plastic spacer, you can cut it and use it to secure the nh38. It does not matter if the circle is not complete.

Then, either the white ring is thick enough for the caseback to press against it, or you add the washer

geoffdragon

Supporter
Certified
18/5/21
Uk
Does the case not have a ridge/groove inside it for the tabs to fit into? See bottom picture arrows....
I have a feeling the tabs you have will be too long to fit into the ridge and line up with the holes on the movement but a pair of pliers and a file can bring them down to length and width if need be.

Reactions: 369mafia

terranova42

29/7/17
Does the case not have a ridge/groove inside it for the tabs to fit into? See bottom picture arrows....
I have a feeling the tabs you have will be too long to fit into the ridge and line up with the holes on the movement but a pair of pliers and a file can bring them down to length and width if need be.
Realizing those are for the Datejust case I ordered - Raffles included them to fit the VS3135

• Haha

terranova42

29/7/17
The NH38 comes inside a grey plastic ring.
You need to keep that ring around the movement, because it also helps to secure the dial in place
That assembly fits in the case.

If you also have a standard white « big » plastic spacer, you can cut it and use it to secure the nh38. It does not matter if the circle is not complete.

Then, either the white ring is thick enough for the caseback to press against it, or you add the washer
I can get it into the case with the ring on, but really struggling with getting the caseback screwed down.

Seems like the rotor is too tall now, by millimeters. Unsure if it needs a little force, or if I have it placed incorrectly or something.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I can get it into the case with the ring on, but really struggling with getting the caseback screwed down.

Seems like the rotor is too tall now, by millimeters. Unsure if it needs a little force, or if I have it placed incorrectly or something.

Check the stem alignment
At worse, if you have no solution, you can file down the grey ring a bit IF the stem will align

terranova42

29/7/17

Replying to myself - just needed to keep tinkering until it finally caught the grooves in the just right way.

Now, going to try with my existing build (remove the hands, add the movement holder, put all back together) and see if it works.

Thanks!

geoffdragon

Supporter
Certified
18/5/21
Uk
Be careful, i have snapped an nh35 stem when the movement wasn't quite aligned....screwed down the back, felt tight, SNAP..... luckily I managed to "shake" it out.

1675lover

23/7/22
The nh38 drops into the raffles case without any need for tabs or rings.
unless ur nh movement does not have the grey outer casing which I have never seen before from most sellers

Reactions: 369mafia

1675lover

23/7/22

u need to gently press the grey ring in, bit by bit, it should sit nicely with the dial holding against the rehaut, the stem should be aligned nicely too.

i had installed 3 without any need to modify anything.

terranova42

29/7/17
u need to gently press the grey ring in, bit by bit, it should sit nicely with the dial holding against the rehaut, the stem should be aligned nicely too.

i had installed 3 without any need to modify anything.
Thank you! Finally got it all squared away. Just took the long way to get there 😂

terranova42

29/7/17
Update: thanks to everyone for the guidance. Got it up and running!

Waiting on a new T21, then adding the 1016 Lover bezel. Might need to revisit the hand installation and/or stem length - there was some (intermittent) weirdness in winding time backwards, as well as getting the crown to push back in from the second (time setting) position.

Quickly seeing how this becomes an addictive time suck of a hobby, haha.

1016 lover

4/10/22
Update: thanks to everyone for the guidance. Got it up and running!

Waiting on a new T21, then adding the 1016 Lover bezel. Might need to revisit the hand installation and/or stem length - there was some (intermittent) weirdness in winding time backwards, as well as getting the crown to push back in from the second (time setting) position.

Quickly seeing how this becomes an addictive time suck of a hobby, haha.

Beautifull, wich handset did you used?

terranova42

29/7/17
Beautifull, wich handset did you used?
Those are the silver Raffles ones, aged with vinegar/salt/hydrogen peroxide for somewhere between 1-2hrs.

I did the same process for his gold hands for the honeycomb 6350 I'm tinkering with, but must have left them in too long because the second hand broke in half and the minute hand broke at the end, haha. Got the hour hand rolling solo on it at the moment.