• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

terranova42

Getting To Know The Place
29/7/17
I also had hands « melting » while in oxiziding 😅

Biggest lesson learned in all of the building so far is always have at least one extra of everything, because one thing going awry means you're waiting a month to get a $5 part from Asia

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

1016_idiot_savant

Supporter
Certified
3/2/23
Denmark
So, uhm... just stop working and watch this 1016 video on loop for the rest of the day :D

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
So, uhm... just stop working and watch this 1016 video on loop for the rest of the day :D

What. Gilt chapter ring Type 1 dial, all original, with box, papers, etc. for $25k? That is a steal. At that price you'd be hard pressed to find a mostly original gilt dial 1016 at all, let alone something like this.

Well, he can certainly make good deals, but to "hate Explorer I's"? The man is mentally defective. ;)

1016 lover

4/10/22
Wow, excellent shaping... Did you also shape the underside of the lugs?
I found a better case for this aspect, no big work under the lugs but a lot of work on other aspects, this build IS a test for @Erect project

The case IS a nh35 case from alx, but found that its better for this specific under lug design, more sharp than raffle, just in Line with 6610 and 6350 project

Need a special tube or crown to fit as it Come with a pressed tube fitted, need a cut in to mount eta and a Space for thé movement, need a special crystal and bezel 😉

Took me a long Time

1675lover

23/7/22
doing some lume repaint work soon.
need some opinions on the color.
yes they are different shades of yellow lol

left or right?

bn.jpg

Reactions: joshhb8282

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
Biggest lesson learned in all of the building so far is always have at least one extra of everything, because one thing going awry means you're waiting a month to get a $5 part from Asia

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX
That's why I have disorganized shit scattered everywhere! Delays, or possibly testing a great idea, are totally unacceptable!!!!! For instance, this exact minute, I just found the 9 remaining gaskets of my RP29-325-10 order. I'm pretty confident that might fit the 1675 case. If one fell in a volcano, I still have 8 more!

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
I found a better case for this aspect, no big work under the lugs but a lot of work on other aspects, this build IS a test for @Erect project

The case IS a nh35 case from alx, but found that its better for this specific under lug design, more sharp than raffle, just in Line with 6610 and 6350 project

Need a special tube or crown to fit as it Come with a pressed tube fitted, need a cut in to mount eta and a Space for thé movement, need a special crystal and bezel 😉

Took me a long Time

Very nice! I like your work. It is always a pleasure to see lathe at work.
Could you please share the ALX link of the case. I also like to try it.

Reactions: 316lad and Karbon74

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK

Took me a long Time

Blimey 1-16 - when did you get the Emco - are you delighted with it?

terranova42

Getting To Know The Place
29/7/17
I've been disappointed by the "yellow" lumes on dials I've bought so far, especially Yuki - the 1675 and 5517 dials I bought from them were much more orange/brown than I anticipated.

Seems like an art project is the only way to achieve what I am after, which is unfortunate because my first go-round with acrylic/airbrush paint was...humbling, haha. My results were terrible and uneven compared to what others on here have pulled off.

Asking the experts in here - what's the best way to achieve "dingy white" vs. "yellowed" dials?

How do I go from this:
3855236548.jpg

To this:
8-24-19-1.jpg

Reactions: Hec

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
You have a Yuki dial there. Go easy or you'll ruin it. They are fragile (paint/ finish/ lacquer) to say the least.

Best advice - put it one side. Order a Raffles dial - in white - and get to work. Raffles dials are proper bomb-proof - you can make mistakes, rub it out, start again, etc.
They are the perfect canvas to begin your mastery of dial-ageing.

Start around Page 1 of the Thread where it gets down and dirty into dials.

Personally, this is my approach:

And somehow, after all the confusion - we got here:

Start at Page 1 or so:

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I've been disappointed by the "yellow" lumes on dials I've bought so far, especially Yuki - the 1675 and 5517 dials I bought from them were much more orange/brown than I anticipated.

Seems like an art project is the only way to achieve what I am after, which is unfortunate because my first go-round with acrylic/airbrush paint was...humbling, haha. My results were terrible and uneven compared to what others on here have pulled off.

Asking the experts in here - what's the best way to achieve "dingy white" vs. "yellowed" dials?

How do I go from this:
3855236548.jpg

To this:
8-24-19-1.jpg
For mild patina like that, it's hard to go wrong with a little time in the oven...just keep an eye on it and stop a bit before it looks the way you want it. You can always put it back in, but it's hard to undo the damage if you overdo it.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
100% on Raffles vs Yuki. A wrong move on the Yuki, it may be just the brush of a finger and the dial is ruined

The only thing about oven is that the white Rolex font also takes a yellow tint

I also now use water color in multiple layers, and let each layer dry fully. When dry, i use a fine silicone tip with water to contour the excess paint, then kitchen towel paper to mop the water, the edge of the towel paper helps a lot

Once I am happy with the color, slightly lighter than target, i extra clean the contours again, protect the font with some wet oven cooking paper and oven the thing a bit.

This gives a flaking effect to the paint on the lume.

Finally, I seal the thing with matte varnish in mist