• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

tigroz

Getting To Know The Place
9/8/23
Rome
in these days of little work, I have decided to try various dial ageing techniques (not all at the same time), using liquid coffee, oven, water colours, transparent matte varnish, applying lumens ex novo... I'll post a few pictures the one that particularly impressed me and perhaps doesn't look good in the photo, is on dial no. 4 .
I'm really enjoying this, I'm no expert, but I think I'm on the right track to ageing ( a lot) in a credible manner :cool:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
in these days of little work, I have decided to try various dial ageing techniques (not all at the same time), using liquid coffee, oven, water colours, transparent matte varnish, applying lumens ex novo... I'll post a few pictures the one that particularly impressed me and perhaps doesn't look good in the photo, is on dial no. 4 .
I'm really enjoying this, I'm no expert, but I think I'm on the right track to ageing ( a lot) in a credible manner :cool:

Nice work. A true tool watch look.

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Obviously I'm going to have to change that clasp - as it's gargantuan and horrible. I also usually dispense with the double fabric to leave just a very plain "under-the-lugs" strap.

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Obviously I'm going to have to change that clasp - as it's gargantuan and horrible. I also usually dispense with the double fabric to leave just a very plain "under-the-lugs" strap.
that clasp is huge. what brand is it??

Reactions: 316lad

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
I went AliX NATO mental a couple of weeks ago... just back from vacation with a sack of them waiting at the front door!

Shockingly good quality, some of them, for <$5 a piece! Thing is... I don't have a single watch on a NATO at the moment... got bored of them and went back to bracelets! I'm going to have to set up my own NATO Bazaar!

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I went AliX NATO mental a couple of weeks ago... just back from vacation with a sack of them waiting at the front door!

Shockingly good quality, some of them, for <$5 a piece! Thing is... I don't have a single watch on a NATO at the moment... got bored of them and went back to bracelets! I'm going to have to set up my own NATO Bazaar!
same
mine is from alix under 4 bucks well made and a good length for 7" wrist

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
same
mine is from alix under 4 bucks well made and a good length for 7" wrist
Seems pretty certain to me that most of the name brands are just engraved buckles out of the same factory for 5-10x the money.

I'd make an exception for a Phoenix NATO, for the provenance and the fact they do still make them themselves (they say)!

Reactions: tigroz and 369mafia

1016 lover

4/10/22
Here some raffledial handset comparaison, i put some of hour hands infound to accomodate the 13mm hand as i find thé hour hand very smaller in comparaison, thé hour hand from thé gmt IS better but have a

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Here some raffledial handset comparaison, i put some of hour hands infound to accomodate the 13mm hand as i find thé hour hand very smaller in comparaison, thé hour hand from thé gmt IS better but have a

I felt the same. I do like the gmt hour hand more as well.