• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

PositiveAttitude

Getting To Know The Place
22/9/22
Hey guys

A question.
Do you think it’s worth it to put a gen Selitta or even a gen ETA in a rep build?

I am starting to get fed up with those chinese eta clones
Imo Yes, especially if you plan to keep the rep for a while.
The ETA/sellita movements are more reliable, built better and, in case, you can service them and they last years.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Hey guys

A question.
Do you think it’s worth it to put a gen Selitta or even a gen ETA in a rep build?

I’ve considered that, but can’t justify spending $200 instead of ~$20.

Maybe occasionally, on a real important build, but for the bulk of my builds, I use either the cheapest movement I can find or maybe upgrade to the Sw200 for about $40-50.

Ukrop

Cult Hero
13/1/24
Canada
Hey guys

A question.

If you invest decent amount of money and labour in your build then yes it worth it.
But if it's ruffles lego built then no.

Reactions: Karbon74

nomorebigideas

8/4/24
Hey guys

A question.

I use a Hong Kong Precision Technology PT5000 model (PT5004, without calendar); it's comes straight from the factory and it's great! ETA 2824-2 Clone; would definitely recommend for the price ($45 + shipping).

Lego

20/10/14
FRANCE

Many of you know about my MANIA with the 1016... I'm at the end of this quest after 15 years and the purchase of two GENs.

The search for the perfect case has been my obsession, as it's the only GEN part impossible to find.

Before selling most of the pieces in the 'sales section after aproval', I can take measurements and photos of cases if needed to help you in the reshape phase (with GEN 1016 / GEN 1600 / GEN 1601 / VIET hardly reshaped / MQ / JMB / etc.).
Please specify your needs via PM by the end of the week.

Built to have a 1016 is a quest, but the joy is in the journey, not the destination...

Best. J.

1675lover

23/7/22

Many of you know about my MANIA with the 1016... I'm at the end of this quest after 15 years and the purchase of two GENs.

The search for the perfect case has been my obsession, as it's the only GEN part impossible to find.

Before selling most of the pieces in the 'sales section after aproval', I can take measurements and photos of cases if needed to help you in the reshape phase (with GEN 1016 / GEN 1600 / GEN 1601 / VIET hardly reshaped / MQ / JMB / etc.).

Built to have a 1016 is a quest, but the joy is in the journey, not the destination...

Best. J.
I have 1 word for ur collection: NUTS!

I have 3 and I’m already looking at offloading 2 of them

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
It's that time of the month again. Just put in an order with Raffles for a case/bracelet/hands for a 1601 build and an 8mm Brevet crown and some golden hands to mod my ZF BB58. Gen dial and a vintage ETA 2472 in the DJ.

Going to be an interesting journey to match the patina of the dial to the case and hands.

KVG5nc.jpeg

K00CBn.webp

Pavloxs

16/8/18

Best. J.
Amazing collection

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
What do you guys use to remove a bezel?
Does anybody use a doohickey with 4 blades?

I do, and it works fine, as long as I'm careful to line everything up before I apply any force. It's easy to gouge a bezel if everything isn't lined up correctly (especially on a smaller watch, like a ladies' model...ask me how I know, lol).

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Did not know that you could ask that from Raffles ! 🤩

I use the knife and the 4blade tools
For the latter, indeed, it’s easy to wreck the case or the bezel if the alignment is not perfect

Reactions: Ukrop

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Yup, he does do that. From my last order:

OK. I will provide you the 36mm DateJust watch case with disassembled 3135 crystal and fluted bezel. So that you can use the equipment to press the acrylic crystal has cyclop on the case by yourself.

Reactions: Ukrop

d1d1ka

14/4/18
Hey guys, any opinions on this dial ?
MK1
I'm wondering who these people are, to me the print is not incredible but overall this is probably one of the best dials I've seen around..

wmass

17/4/22
If you invest decent amount of money and labour in your build then yes it worth it.
But if it's ruffles lego built then no.
This is a conundrum ive come across. Most high end reps use Rolex movt caliber clones, which can be a source of concern for reliability as well as parts compatibility.

Some vintage high end reps, use ETA's that have a lower BPM

Those that want a decent vintage rep that can take a quality modern gen ETA movt are kind of stuck with Raffles.

Raffles cases are water tight enough to put a good movt in, no?