• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

steelman69

Getting To Know The Place
20/8/23
I have drilled the lugs,started rubbing down the lugs.
Do i need to rub it down a lot more?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I have drilled the lugs,started rubbing down the lugs.
Do i need to rub it down a lot more?
Look at gen pics. A lot of them and in many angles

At some point you will have the shape in mind. The first case will not be optimal, but Raffles cases are cheap. Then you will « get » it

Reactions: 316lad

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
So, I am a bit of two minds on my 1016 Cartier project.

I would like to try a NOS look, but without some weathering, I feel that the Raffles dial does not look right. Plus I really like the usual textured dial that I do…decisions decisions

Reactions: 316lad and 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
looks like a relumed or refinished dial. The lume looks to be luminova.

welcome to the club btw!
The lume does look too perfect however I have not seen a rep dial with Rolex stamped on the back.

It is service so it is of newer stock and perhaps they had a new application process for the lume on the new dials?
or maybe that is what all the lume originally looked like but with time and exposure, the lume loses its crisp edges and flattens out a bit?

just a thought. but it does seem a bit on the cheap side compared to other dials I have seen for sale, orig or service.
maybe the prices are starting to correct as hoarders are becoming more motivated to liquidate their parts ?

Reactions: d1d1ka

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
So, I am a bit of two minds on my 1016 Cartier project.

I would like to try a NOS look, but without some weathering, I feel that the Raffles dial does not look right. Plus I really like the usual textured dial that I do…decisions decisions
I love Ken - he's great but the Raffles Cartier dial is npot very good for a number of reasons. The 3 6 9 shapes are from much earlier Super Precision dials. The lume is printed - as you know - and sucks and is very difficult to modify without scraping off and starting again.

Reactions: Karbon74

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
The lume does look too perfect however I have not seen a rep dial with Rolex stamped on the back.

It is service so it is of newer stock and perhaps they had a new application process for the lume on the new dials?
or maybe that is what all the lume originally looked like but with time and exposure, the lume loses its crisp edges and flattens out a bit?

just a thought. but it does seem a bit on the cheap side compared to other dials I have seen for sale, orig or service.
maybe the prices are starting to correct as hoarders are becoming more motivated to liquidate their parts ?
Parts (and watches) starting to appear at lower and lower prices every day now... Get your wallets warmed up, guys... the feeding frenzy will soon be upon us!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I love Ken - he's great but the Raffles Cartier dial is npot very good for a number of reasons. The 3 6 9 shapes are from much earlier Super Precision dials. The lume is printed - as you know - and sucks and is very difficult to modify without scraping off and starting again.

Yup. The 369 are too crisp.
I did not know about the shape error. oh well. This decides for the aged look then.

I never relume. Too much work 😅

Reactions: 369mafia and 316lad

1675lover

23/7/22

yup hence it could be a refinished dial.
I have not seen mk1 with luminova (even service ones) in the wild afaik

Erect

Aroused By Anything Vintage
Supporter
Certified
9/2/24
EU
I have not seen a rep dial with Rolex stamped on the back.
Depending on how far you're wiling to go, this Rolex stamp should not be a distinguishable tell sign.
An example below of rep singer blank dial ;)

Reactions: 369mafia