• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

Ukrop

Cult Hero
13/1/24
Canada
I have a very dumb question to ask.
Can I use a transfer foil on Ruffles matte dial with printed text and markers to make it gilt (or giltier)?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Can I use a transfer foil on Ruffles matte dial with printed text and markers to make it gilt (or giltier)?
how do you plan on achieving this?

If you mean sanding the dial down to metal and applying gold foil onto the dial plate, then yes.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I imagine anything is possible, but I suspect it would be more trouble than it would be worth, with lots of potential to go wrong. Even if successful, it wouldn't be a true "gilt" dial, as it would be gold over black, instead of black over gold, like the original (and better rep) dials.

That said, I have no idea how easy or difficult transfer foil is to use, so maybe I'm way off base.

Reactions: 369mafia

GenuineFool

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
Has this been posted already?

Haven't seen that one posted here. Two observations:

1. His approach is different from straight servicing, more like restoration, as he is repainting the edges of the dial and drills out the out-of-round center hole and installs a bushing, as well as reluming the hands.
  2. He changes watches more often than he changes finger cots, and I like it.

nomorebigideas

Getting To Know The Place
8/4/24
Does anyone know (or can explain) the difference between Helenarou's Benz Hands (for a 6610 build) and Raffles 36mm Vintage Explorers?

Feel like the only difference is the lollipop seconds hand and I'm trying desperately to convince myself I don't need to spend any more money?

Hayst

Known Member
15/3/23
Australia
Does anyone know (or can explain) the difference between Helenarou's Benz Hands (for a 6610 build) and Raffles 36mm Vintage Explorers?

Feel like the only difference is the lollipop seconds hand and I'm trying desperately to convince myself I don't need to spend any more money?

I can give you a good reason not to...unless you are going to relume you will find that whilst the lume shines green in the dark and in bright white light, it shines blue under uv (black light).
Though unless you hang out at raves and russian underworld dances dives you will probably never notice...or happen to be frigging around with an olight arkfeld uv light.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Raffles build
Ver 3 1016L bezel
13mm hand set
Eta Clone

KbHCQ8.jpeg