• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
was browsing MQs watches and noticed this

1957 6610 but it looks like the gilt wore off the dial???
RolexEX6610GiltDial-3-2.jpg

RolexEX6610GiltDial-3-1.jpg

fnfalguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Patron
Certified
22/2/24
Just wrapped this up this morning. Raffles dial, case and hands, ziczac gator strap and cheapie alix crown buckle. It does look a bit more orange in the photos than in person. I still despise trying to get the seconds hand on the damn thing.

1675lover

23/7/22
Just wrapped this up this morning. Raffles dial, case and hands, ziczac gator strap and cheapie alix crown buckle. It does look a bit more orange in the photos than in person. I still despise trying to get the seconds hand on the damn thing.
NH movement used?

just my 2 cents but The seconds hand seems a little high even for a NH movement.

did u check if the hand is seated firmly?

other than that welcome to the rabbit hole

Reactions: fnfalguy

fnfalguy

Patron
Certified
22/2/24
NH movement used?

just my 2 cents but The seconds hand seems a little high even for a NH movement.

did u check if the hand is seated firmly?

other than that welcome to the rabbit hole
Nh38 movement for it. I’ll take your word that it looks high, it’s the 3rd watch that I’ve pieced together and I’m pretty well stumbling my way through it. It seemed secure for what that’s worth.

WatchN3RD

Gold Patron
24/7/18
Nh38 movement for it. I’ll take your word that it looks high, it’s the 3rd watch that I’ve pieced together and I’m pretty well stumbling my way through it. It seemed secure for what that’s worth.
Did you recently say the second hand was giving you troubles?
When I first started, I screwed up a decent amount of hands. Especially when it came to the seconds/sweep hand. Of course under magnification, and using tape or rodico to loosely keep the hand in place, I found it easier to double and triple check the placement by lining up the hand from a side view.
I would line it up, turn in 90 degrees, and line up from that angle. Keep checking after turning 90 degrees until its good at all angles.
I think of it like trying to line up a drill press to drill exactly center through a small X. I don't know if you are using natural vision or a microscope, but this method is pretty good in many scenarios. Also, it might be taboo, but sometimes I use flat surface to push the sweep hand down instead of a pusher.could even be a wooden toothpick or skewer that I chopped down the middle.

fnfalguy

Patron
Certified
22/2/24
Did you recently say the second hand was giving you troubles?
When I first started, I screwed up a decent amount of hands. Especially when it came to the seconds/sweep hand. Of course under magnification, and using tape or rodico to loosely keep the hand in place, I found it easier to double and triple check the placement by lining up the hand from a side view.
I would line it up, turn in 90 degrees, and line up from that angle. Keep checking after turning 90 degrees until its good at all angles.
I think of it like trying to line up a drill press to drill exactly center through a small X. I don't know if you are using natural vision or a microscope, but this method is pretty good in many scenarios. Also, it might be taboo, but sometimes I use flat surface to push the sweep hand down instead of a pusher.could even be a wooden toothpick or skewer that I chopped down the middle.
I did mention I disliked putting on the second hand. thats more of a feature of a not so steady hand as I’m aging and the need for more magnifications to try and see tiny thing. I appreciate your description of how you do it and I’ll give it a try on the next go round.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I feel you. Slipped with the drill :(

Last time I did much worse… I drilled another hole and the bit snapped into it 😂

No today I was doing a subdial freeze on a Pe50… a gear came out at it was impossible to put it back in🤬

i had zero fine motor control, which almost never happens to me

nomorebigideas

8/4/24
Anyone here using the Raffles 1016 case?
Is it necessary to use the metal case spacer that comes with the case?
I can't for the life of my get it to sit flush on my PT5004 (PT5000/ETA 2824 Clone) movement.
Any advice greatly received!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Anyone here using the Raffles 1016 case?
Is it necessary to use the metal case spacer that comes with the case?
I can't for the life of my get it to sit flush on my PT5004 (PT5000/ETA 2824 Clone) movement.
Any advice greatly received!
Yes, always.
Are you putting it in the right direction ?

nomorebigideas

8/4/24
Yes, always.
Are you putting it in the right direction ?
Thanks for the reply Karbon - I'm putting it shaped edge facing towards the rear of the case.
I swear the internal lip is preventing it from seating properly, meaning when the case mounting tabs and screws are installed they catch on the rotar.
TBF I'm using a PT500X, so perhaps the diameter is micromillimeters differnet?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Thanks for the reply Karbon - I'm putting it shaped edge facing towards the rear of the case.
I swear the internal lip is preventing it from seating properly, meaning when the case mounting tabs and screws are installed they catch on the rotar.
TBF I'm using a PT500X, so perhaps the diameter is micromillimeters differnet?
Pics?