• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 1016: The Under Appreciated Thread

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Pics please. Not clear what you're doing with the copper wire.
I assume he is inserting it into the pinon opening to keep the tube uniform while compressing the outter wall to reduce ID to fit pinon ?

or so I thought I read it again and he is using it as a spacer to make up the difference between the ID of the hand and the OD of the pinon

I hear old watchmakers back in the day used a similar technique with hands whos holes became enlarged, they would use eye lash or eyebrown lash to "mind the gap" to get a tighter fit

did I guess right @Karbon74 what did I win?

Last edited:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I know right? Sounds kinda kinky.
kinky indeed
sexy connie britton GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I assume he is inserting it into the pinon opening to keep the tube uniform while compressing the outter wall to reduce ID to fit pinon ?
this ^^
yes absolutely

On the first attempt, I collapsed the walls of the pinion and the hole just closed. Wasted.
On the second I used the copper wire to prevent the collapse. It worked and the second hands could be placed on the seconds post. I used a nail cutter to compress the pinion.

It's just that I am sure there is a better way.

The pin vices I have are crappy. I guess I need collets? yes?

Last edited:
Reactions: 369mafia

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
Ok, I thought you were effecting some kind of new pinion but you were using the copper wire as a drift to pinch the pinion a little. That is kind of the way it's done - with a very gentle hand. As 369 said - the old school boys used an eye-lash, etc.

A good quality pin-vice is worth it's weight in gold - a cheap one is worth nothing and in fact ends up owing you for the things it has broken when you've tried to use it.

I would use my staking set for this type of work and you should to. You'd place the hand - pinion up - on the stake anvil and bring down a hollow tapered shaft too pinch it slightly - the beauty of the staking seyt is the work can be performed incredibly gently.

Get a nice old Bergeon or Boley - there's a few others but those are easy to come by in our neck of the woods and they have th added advantage of using a common stake size; 4.7mm.
I use mine for so many tasks - and I couldn't do without it now.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 369mafia

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Ok, I thought you were effecting some kind of new pinion but you were using the copper wire as a drift to pinch the pinion a little. That is kind of the way it's done - with a very gentle hand. As 369 said - the old school boys used an eye-lash, etc.

A good quality pin-vice is worth it's weight in gold - a cheap one is worth nothing and in fact ends up owing you for the things it has broken when you've tried to use it.

I would use my staking set for this type of work and you should to. You'd place the hand - pinion up - on the stake anvil and bring down a hollow tapered shaft too pinch it slightly - the beauty of the staking seyt is the work can be performed incredibly gently.

Get a nice old Bergeon or Boley - there's a few others but those are easy to come by in our neck of the woods and they have th added advantage of using a common stake size; 4.7mm.
I use mine for so many tasks - and I couldn't do without it now.

Hope that helps.

can you link me to the tools?
I must say I am getting lost in the names

And yes, I am slowly replacing all my tools with Bergeon. Did not know Boley. interesting

316lad

Renowned Member
8/8/23
UK
can you link me to the tools?
I must say I am getting lost in the names

And yes, I am slowly replacing all my tools with Bergeon. Did not know Boley. interesting
Cousins will sell you a new one for lots of money:

That's their Starter one!

Mine cost me about £350 used and I've purchased a few extra stakes from Bergeon, etc. It is quite ancient and belonged to just one watchmaker before me. I wouldn't swap it now and I am used to it's little ways. It becomes an extension of your hands.

Ebay - will fetch up a lot of results - especially as the cursed YouTube Watchmaker era is coming to a close after Lockdowns and they've really come down in price since I bought mine. Just make sure it's complete as possible and hasn't been trashed - you CAN tell from photos.

Reactions: Karbon74

activa66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/14
Hey guys

I'm jumping into the 1016 game, currently reading all the thread.

Just for reference, do you know if it exist a doc/message with all parts available and best one?

Thank you !

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Supporter
Certified
29/5/23
USA
The other advantage of Raffles is you really can take it as far as you’re willing to go. Out of the box, it’s very good, but with case shaping, dial aging, etc, you’d really be hard pressed to do any better.

activa66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/14
thank you very much everyone I keep an eye on raffle and I continue to read the topic carefully

Reactions: dpd3672