• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stealthy non-alcoholic beer and wine options

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I definitely used to drink too much, and did from when I started drinking in my teens until I stopped drinking in my 30s.

I don’t try to convince anyone to do or not do anything in my private life because I spend a lot of my time convincing people of things for a living.

My observation which follows is anecdotal, YMMV - my life has become orders of magnitude better in the time I stopped drinking, than at any time when I was drinking.
I keep hearing that. Quality of life increases with less alcohol.
My grandfather had the bug, my dad has the bug and I have inherited the bug. Taking a drink is easy.
I have a hectic management level position and I use alcohol to unwind when I get off work. It's a filthy habit.
Im looking to make a change.

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
I keep hearing that. Quality of life increases with less alcohol.
My grandfather had the bug, my dad has the bug and I have inherited the bug. Taking a drink is easy.
I have a hectic management level position and I use alcohol to unwind when I get off work. It's a filthy habit.
Im looking to make a change.
I’ll send you a PM.

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
I definitely used to drink too much, and did from when I started drinking in my teens until I stopped drinking in my 30s.

I don’t try to convince anyone to do or not do anything in my private life because I spend a lot of my time convincing people of things for a living.

My observation which follows is anecdotal, YMMV - my life has become orders of magnitude better in the time I stopped drinking, than at any time when I was drinking.
Mine too.
You can give up one thing to have everything or you can give up everything to have one thing.

Reactions: JASPER18 and xray7

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Great thread
I drink too much Maybe a lifestyle change is needed.
Meh, you need to do you. I still make wine and beer (love the process and competitions, yes I compete ) and drink. While I don’t drink much , still enjoy a single malt or great glass of wine. I also stopped drinking for a decade and didn’t notice it much. Like I said, just do what is right for you.
That being said, there are so many great (and tasty) alternatives out there now it is not hard to give it up. Beers are better than the available 0% wines to be certain and though. Try a virgin pisco sour or mojito. Great summer drinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockdaytona

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I don't even drink that much and this thread confirmed something I've been keeping to myself for a while. Made some pretty permanent switches to non-alcoholic alternatives and never looked back. Feared being judged but got over myself, as honestly, no one really gave a stuff.

Thanks for the list. Haven't tried Guinness zero so now's the time!

Reactions: rockdaytona

rockdaytona

Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
I don't even drink that much and this thread confirmed something I've been keeping to myself for a while. Made some pretty permanent switches to non-alcoholic alternatives and never looked back. Feared being judged but got over myself, as honestly, no one really gave a stuff.

No one care what’s in your glass! It’s all in our head

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles

I spent a long time concerned about how people would react.

The only people who have given off any negativity at all - and I tell you, some of my mates still put the drink away like they’re being paid a per litre commission rate to do it - were already extremely toxic anyway.

By drifting from them, nothing at all of value has been lost. If you’ve got anyone in your life who has drifted based on this change, see it the way I’ve seen being ripped off by a handful of people in my past…

If you will do me out of pocket change today, the value I derive by knowing that’s who you are today, and preventing you from taking more by being further trusted tomorrow, or letting me down on something which money can’t buy, has been more than worth my expenditure. My exposure and my losses are capped.

I’ve known plenty of people who have made that mistake in trusting the wrong person… unlike some others, perhaps, I know some people who are doing time - decades, as in plural decades, not a 3 to 5 - for getting this wrong.

“Imagine taking the piss out of a friend because they elect not to have booze in their drink” may not have been something I’d have said in my 20s, sure, but that’s part of growing up, innit?

Last edited:

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Gave this another go this evening as I’m nothing if not reasonable in allowing my opinions to be changed (except in respect of TW Steel watches being an utter affront to horology, I’ll die on that hill and take all of you with me)…

Not weak enough to be described as such compared to other contenders, not strong enough to be referred to as such either, but I’ll revise my review a touch.

Last edited:

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
This thread has made me second guess that my feelings towards reducing my intake are actually shared by other adults. Amongst my peers, it's pretty much frowned upon (not that it dictates my choice as I've known them all for years) and seen as a bit pointless but it is fascinating nonetheless.

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
This thread has made me second guess that my feelings towards reducing my intake are actually shared by other adults. Amongst my peers, it's pretty much frowned upon (not that it dictates my choice as I've known them all for years) and seen as a bit pointless but it is fascinating nonetheless.
We are generally a product of the 5 or so people with whom we spend the most time.

Two out of that five for me falling by the wayside by no longer drinking hard has meant a massive change in the dynamics within peer groups with me.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
We are generally a product of the 5 or so people with whom we spend the most time.

Two out of that five for me falling by the wayside by no longer drinking hard has meant a massive change in the dynamics within peer groups with me.
I couldn't agree more, this sounds all too familiar. Amazing reality of drink being a driving force to meet up rather than actually enjoying each others company. My peer group certainly changed a lot in the last ten years or so because of this.

Reactions: JASPER18

rockdaytona

Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
I couldn't agree more, this sounds all too familiar. Amazing reality of drink being a driving force to meet up rather than actually enjoying each others company. My peer group certainly changed a lot in the last ten years or so because of this.
Drinking buddies are not necessarily real friends. Real friends are not necessarily drinking buddies. Drinking was a crutch for me to be at ease socially but I got over that when I realized how soft that was.

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Drinking buddies are not necessarily real friends. Real friends are not necessarily drinking buddies. Drinking was a crutch for me to be at ease socially but I got over that when I realized how soft that was.
Pretty excellent way of putting it, thank you

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I used to down a bottle of wine every two days. i barely drink at home now. Maybe a bottle every two month or so…and a few beers in summer months.

I do have a drink everyday during summer holidays

I took a liking to alcohol free cider, artisanal

Now, social diners are different…i am in France and when nice bottles come up, I just cannot skip them.

But easily, I divided my annual intake by at least a factor of 20 🤗

Reactions: Got20Mate

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Guinness Zero in the widget can - if you like a Guinness and wouldn’t mind a non alcoholic option, you would be hard pressed to know this was not the real thing when drinking it, and unless they see the can, no one else is going to know either. As filling as the alcohol containing cousin, too.
This is definitely my go to when I am going out and do not want to pay €70 for a taxi to get home. I actually had one on draught today after going out for lunch. I was driving so hassle free and it tastes great.

I have only had it out of a can once or twice.

I also am a big fan of Erdinger alcohol free.

Last edited:

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
Maybe a bottle every two month or so…and a few beers in summer months.

I do have a drink everyday during summer holidays
As I’ve said before, I’m not out to convert anyone to the Xray7 method of not drinking called “not drinking - because suffering is what ye deserve”… if ever I would deviate from my self imposed ban, it’d be cold beer on a summer day.

Last edited:

xray7

How deliciously absurd.
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
This is definitely my go to when I am going out and do not want to pay €70 for a taxi to get home. I actually had one on draught today after going out for lunch. I was driving so hassle free and it tastes great.

I have only had it out of a can once or twice.

I also am a big fan of Erdinger alcohol free.
I’ve only managed to Guiness Zero in draught form over here in Blighty once, but it was excellent.

You’ve reminded me I need to get back on the Deutsch alkoholfrei train again. Maybe a Bitburger rendition as well.