• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT-Master I & II

MNColdWatch

Horology Curious
2/2/17
I don't see why not. The bracelet is the same from what I have read. There might be a small gap if you are using the bracelet from a newer sub that has the thicker profile.

Icemanneo11

Supporter
23/5/14

yesgary

Known Member
30/1/17
Australia
I am also looking at this timepiece and have gone to one of my trusty dealers to check the availability :) Saw it the other week and think it's a great looking piece!

Let me know how you get on and who you choose.

Ive read repeatedly that the CHS is very problematic and to stay away from it. Is that still the case now or have they been rectified lately?

Icemanneo11

Supporter
23/5/14
Ive read repeatedly that the CHS is very problematic and to stay away from it. Is that still the case now or have they been rectified lately?
You've lost me, dare i ask what CHS is? It's not a term i'm familiar with!

Am not sure it has been resolved but will ask my dealer when i get a response today. Am guessing the one you are looking at is the correct hand stack? Or is that the meaning of CHS? Also, what issues did you read about the CHS?

Sorry for the questions.

Silvanos

Renowned Member
22/5/15
I red that the main flaw is in the bezel that is blue painted over black, different two-coloured treatment

yesgary

Known Member
30/1/17
Australia
You've lost me, dare i ask what CHS is? It's not a term i'm familiar with!

Am not sure it has been resolved but will ask my dealer when i get a response today. Am guessing the one you are looking at is the correct hand stack? Or is that the meaning of CHS? Also, what issues did you read about the CHS?

Sorry for the questions.

All good! Ask away- I like this forum because members seem much more helpful answering questions, even repeat ones, without being condescending to those asking :)

CHS stands for 'Correct Hand Stack' ie the hands are in the same order as the gen Rolex. It's a recent add-on to the BLNR models, but it seems they're having quite a few teething problems with it, and many people here and on other forums have been commenting so and warning prospective buyers to be weary.

I myself am in the market but have decided against the CHS model for now, and I will purchase the ICHS ('Incorrect Hand Stack') noob instead as it is considered much more reliable.

Cheers

PS Anyone reading this have any update about the CHS situation? Wonder when they'll fix it?

Icemanneo11

Supporter
23/5/14
All good! Ask away- I like this forum because members seem much more helpful answering questions, even repeat ones, without being condescending to those asking :)

CHS stands for 'Correct Hand Stack' ie the hands are in the same order as the gen Rolex. It's a recent add-on to the BLNR models, but it seems they're having quite a few teething problems with it, and many people here and on other forums have been commenting so and warning prospective buyers to be weary.

I myself am in the market but have decided against the CHS model for now, and I will purchase the ICHS ('Incorrect Hand Stack') noob instead as it is considered much more reliable.

Cheers

PS Anyone reading this have any update about the CHS situation? Wonder when they'll fix it?
Many thanks for this info! I will also pass this onto my dealer when they come back to me and i will ask if the issue has been resolved yet...i mean...how hard could it be? :p

In all seriousness...if that is the case, maybe i will hold fire until its a little more reliable as opposed to going in all guns blazing and finding an issue in a month's time when the watch doesn't run!

Can I ask who you will be looking to purchase from?

yesgary

Known Member
30/1/17
Australia
Heh no worries :) The problems are apparently to do with the new A3187 movement in the CHS version - the ICHS version has a tried and tested A2836 movement that's been around quite for a while.

I am in Australia so likely going to buy from Trevor the TD for us! However he does ship O/S so you could give him a look :) Else go with any of the TDs here - read some of their buyer's feedback if you're unsure as yet. Cheers!

Eagerforinfo

Horology Curious
10/1/17
What a pity - the problem in the CHS version. I really wonder when the dealers will fix this common issue as many people are experiencing this same problem. If its just a blank spot on the wheel - Would it be found this often? Looking forward to the first who can truly identify the issue and, if possible, come up with the solution. Greets!

thefallacy

False Dichotomy
Patron
Certified
16/6/15
I'm waiting for them to solve the current problems with the CHS models.. then will definitely be purchasing

Icemanneo11

Supporter
23/5/14
I'm waiting for them to solve the current problems with the CHS models.. then will definitely be purchasing

Same here. Are you in contact with a TD or just waiting to see if one of the regulars comes back to say it all appears to be in order?

yesgary

Known Member
30/1/17
Australia
So a serious question for we few in a dilemma over the BLNR issues of late- I'd love to hear your thoughts... With all the issues with CHS and noob QC of late, would any of you recommend the BP BLNR, or the JF (is that its name?) one? If so, can anyone link to pics of these?

Really, cheers for your thoughts- I'm itching to get one- albeit a good one!

elfuque

Known Member
6/1/17
I decided to dip my toe in the GMT waters to see if I would like it - I picked one up from the excellent WBK who had it in my hands in no time. After wearing it for a while I think I've officially been bitten by the GMT bug.

VTaHGOK.jpg

I do like the WBK one that I got, and it was great value for money. The case, the bracelet, the SEL fitment are good. There are some things that I have noticed that I am hoping might be fixable or not present in a higher-end rep of the 116710.

- the bezel insert alignment is off. this isn't terrible day to day because I can keep it "between" clicks to line it up properly, but I would prefer that it be lined up. Can this be fixed?

- the cyclops is a little bit crooked. assuming this can be fixed, especially since I suppose I could just get a replacement crystal put on

- the rotor is very loud. I would want to replace the movement or at least see if lubricating the rotor helped this. I am not really bothered by the ICHS (i'd rather have a more reliable movement than CHS, but if there is a reliable CHS movement out there I would probably go for it), but I would like to have a high-beat movement in this, either by replacing it or buying a higher quality rep

- the spring bars were flimsy. that was easily remedied.

So, some questions for the GMT experts:

- do you think the things I listed above would be remedied by buying something like http://puretime03.com/watch-brands/...ck-ceramic-11-noob-best-edition-a2836-v2.html ?

- is the movement in the newer CHS versions more reliable? judging from what i have read in this thread that's an open question (i assume)

- additionally, i really like the looks of the 16710. Looking at this page though - http://puretime03.com/watch-brands/rolex/gmt-master-ii/gmt-master-ii-black-bezel.html# there is not a ton of information about the movement etc, so I am hesitant. any recommendations on a TD for a good 16710LN rep?

MNColdWatch

Horology Curious
2/2/17
elf-

The sapphire alignment is disappointing. A clark unit would be a better choice at this point.
The bezel insert is something you can do yourself, just CAREFULLY pop off the bezel and re-align it yourself. Trial and error, but, it will keep you from feeling you need to stare at the error.

The jury is out regarding the newer CHS versions... More than one person has opted to go with a Yuki 3135 and have it reworked with 3186 parts and get "correct" stacking as well as a very reliable movement that "feels right". But, that route is an extra $700.

jakekrait

19/1/17
Any thoughs/comments on the SEL, please? TY!

JcCNXg2.jpg

a597KSH.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5708.JPG
    IMG_5708.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

MNColdWatch

Horology Curious
2/2/17
If I were Rolex/USA, I would offer him any watch in their current lineup and put that one in their museum ... and then give him and his family lifetime warranty for the life of of his grand kids.