• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Explorer I & II / Milgauss

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Sure, but they are real nice :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Just an FYI regarding the opening piece - Hillary indeed wore a Rolex Oyster Perpetual COSC. What he wore on the expedition was not an Explorer, because that watch didn't exist yet. He wore an Oyster Perpetual COSC with a white dial on a leather strap. He actually wore two watches, one on each wrist, and one of them was the Rolex. The other was the Smith.

To celebrate the achievement, Rolex designed the first Explorer, based on Hillary's Oyster Perpetual, to commemorate the watch.

Hillary confirmed this in letters, as well as photographs from the expedition, and his actual watch is now on display at the Beyer Clock & Watch Museum in Zurich so this has all been substantiated.

Here's a great link that goes over all of the information, tells the story, shares the letters from Hillary, the photographs, etc.

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Mount%20Everest

Here are some highlight pics:

This is the actual watch worn on the expedition.

Sir-Edmund-Hillary%27s-Rolex.jpg

Rolex ad containing Hillary letters.

1953-Rolex-Everest-ad-with-Sir-Edmund-Hillary.jpg

Photos of the watch itself.

Sir-Edmund-Hillary-Rolex-Everest-Climber.jpg

Edmund-Hillary-Everest-Rolex.jpg

Hillary wearing the watch. Notice he is wearing the two watches, one on each wrist, in the group photo taken just after they descended from the summit.

2Watches.jpg

1+Watch.jpg

1WatchClean.jpg

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Great post Bones :D
The Explorer II 216570 PT got incoming is really starting to grow on me, sure looks like a winner without a ton of modding!
Will be awesome to hear your opinion on it when it´s out.

Cheers,
Jiddy (impossible to be as active as before with two small kids I tell ya haha!)

cattlecattle

Horology Curious
20/11/12
me too, can't wait for this

Great post Bones :D
The Explorer II 216570 PT got incoming is really starting to grow on me, sure looks like a winner without a ton of modding!
Will be awesome to hear your opinion on it when it´s out.

Cheers,
Jiddy (impossible to be as active as before with two small kids I tell ya haha!)

canuck2k

Known Member
10/7/12
We need a good rep of the new 39mm Explorer I.

But first I need to get my 36mm explorer I that I bought from PT in August....

Kman Gymrat

Horology Curious
13/1/13
Dang! I originally ordered the white face milgauss from PT with just the regular clone movement only for them to say it is out of stock in that movement, the maker only has it with the modified to look like 3131 movement. I really like this watch so opted to take it with that movement. Is that movement really that bad of a choice? And does anyone know if I could swap it out for a regular 2836-2 which I originally wanted?

I've also been searching for the movement to buy if that can be done so if anyone knows where I can buy one please say.

Thanks and looking forward to your opinions/answers.

soundaktor

Looking Around
23/1/13
Dam! I think i got a raw deal. Received my 214270 today and realized that there are markings on the case of the watch. I don't remember seeing any markings on rep or gen rolex cases (well at least for 214270's).

Also, am I supposed to feel the rotor spinning while shake the watch?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Updated 08/05/2013 with information and links on the Noob Explorer II which is long overdue.

vivgman22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/13
are the links posted the only place to find the explorer 2, and can they be termed as super reps

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
These are just example links to the pieces I am talking about. All of the dealers can get the same pieces from the factories. Some will have slightly different prices depending on the dealer.

vivgman22

18/4/13
Thanks for the reply bonesey, i checked out some at intime.co they have it for a lower price. What i really meant to ask was the explorer II update on 8/5/2013, can these be considered super reps?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Personally yes I would say that aside from the high end TC/BK etc subs these are damn good out of the box.

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Updated 08/05/2013 with information and links on the Noob Explorer II which is long overdue.

That an excellent post.. Professional work.. Appreciate it buddy..

If i order the latest explorer (Ryan) how can i be sure that it will be the updated version of MAY..? With running numbers correct lume etc...?

And also i read in some other posts that the white dial version is more accurate due to the best matte replication.., but in your review you mention the black dial as more accurate...
Any insights on this please?

Thanks ,

D.

vivgman22

18/4/13
Need help guys! There's a great swiss replica of exp 2 42mm with the wrong hand stack, my question is does the newest noob factory ones have the wrong hand stack too or am I better of buying the one from the sales section?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
You would be very lucky to find a CHS movement these days. They were rare when they were out and really not worth the hassle. That aside the 42mm Exp II has never had a CHS option.