• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the month: June 2014 | Planet Ocean GMT Goodplanet from Toro Bravo

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Dude I'm so happy for you. And so fecking jealous...

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Yep, I couldn't resist that sale.

as you can see it arrived on the 17th then got wrapped. Now I look like a real nut job because I have a fit bit on my right wrist and an omega on my left, here is the 600m a couple days ago.

Congrats.
Thought that sale was good. Pity nothing in the UK at similar price
Have one on its way Lucy. Didn't get here on time but something to still look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpierce

Still New
7/12/15
Review Of The Month Project, June 2014

Omega Planet Ocean GMT Goodplanet from Toro Bravo

Well before we start with the details, i have to thank our Trusted Dealer Toro Bravo for participating in this project of course and for sending me this watch to make a review of it!

I have only seen a few pics of this watch and i wasn't a big fan of it and from the pics it didn't look that good to me to be honest. Once again, as with most of the latest omega rep models, i was wrong. A great rep, fancy and kind of sport together! Let see a few details about it before we o to the pics.

The dial is well made one, logos, lettering, lume markers are all spot on, i really can't complain about anything here. The dial has a great shiny effect, i though i was the crystal reflecting but nop, its the dial. Same effect as the CrSMP. Lume effect is a decent one. Hands are pretty accurate too, slightly different from the gen ones and i am saying that after examining them with the loupe. Date window is ok too, but not the DW witch is off. The gen DW has thicker and more glossy font.

The bezel, well that was my first concern as from what i have seen so far it wasn't that great. It steel needs work but its pretty good. The engravement is good, the orange color though i kind of more vivid on the gen bezel. It's like the gen has more paint or the engravement is more filled. You can check yourself and you will understand what i am talking about. Besides that its ok, great shiny effect, numbers close the real thing and a dead center pearl! Clicking is perfect, no wobbling or anything like that.

Crown and HE valve are another plus for the rep. Crown needs 10 turns to screw down. Pretty good! HE valve doesn't screw/unscrew. Movement behavior is very good. It has a great power reserve, i only shook it while i was taking the shots and it was working for over 2 hours... Movement is an 2836-2 one. Setting the time/date/GMT is easy and pleasant. No struggling there.

The crystal, i have to say one more time that the new omega crystals are pretty awesome. Great AR!

Bracelet is perfect too. They must use the ones of the CrPO models or something of the same quality. Comfortable to wear and easy to adjust. Do you need to ask for anything else? I don't...

A visit to the back side now. Well as with the CrPOs this is the biggest tell. Movement with these watches as you know needs a lot of work. A pleasant surprise was the caseback. Great work there with the lettering as you will see at the macro shots. The anti-counterfeit logo though isn't that good.

Enough with the talking, lets go to the photos.

Congratulations on the watch! I brought one from Trusty Times. My bezel only turns one way (not bi-directional). Is yours? My He valve does not screw out... Does yours?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Yes , but then its genuine , the trick is I have gone through two of these reps and never seen a Dial with indices so clean, [MENTION=81552]Ishmael[/MENTION] has probably the best rep out there.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Received this today. Looks great but I see a couple of faults.
1: Picture shows 12 midnight but the GMT hand is showing 12 midday and there doesn't seem to be independent adjustment of the GMT hands. Anyone know different?
2: The hour hand is just a few mm short of lining up fully at midnight and the GMT is a shade past the 6 marker.

31504ee113873f38a9f45d5b75bb14e1.jpg

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Oh dear. Spoke too soon
Only had it 10 minutes and the second hand has fallen off

What now?

So this being my first Omega. How easy is it to remove the movement and fix myself?
0c04206bd40e25261d5c3d713a67c275.jpg

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Send it back to China. I hate BP factory! The GMT hand is adjusted with date. Clockwise sets date , Counter Clockwise sets gmt hand.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Send it back to China. I hate BP factory! The GMT hand is adjusted with date. Clockwise sets date , Counter Clockwise sets gmt hand.

Ah thanks about the GMT hand. Don't want to turn anything at the moment with the hand loose.
All the advice is never to send back to China?
Is it not an easy fix, I think you've had yours in bits a few times?

D

d4m.test

Ah thanks about the GMT hand. Don't want to turn anything at the moment with the hand loose.
All the advice is never to send back to China?
Is it not an easy fix, I think you've had yours in bits a few times?

Most often ppl need the watch back fast and want to have it fixed and simultaneously serviced locally and reliably at a cost.
If You have the time to wait approx. 2 months and are with Toro, Intime or Supermirrors it´s no problem to send it back (You only pay the postage fees).
The chinese repair is like everything else, it may come back 100% fixed or 95% fixed, after a time the hand may come loose again (or not) etc.
If it was a car it´s something like just welding (for cheap) the exhaust or having a new one fitted. If You have the time, the welding may well be worth it
and even last longer than the car itself (or not).
Check with the TD and maybe send back the watchhead only, less postage fee and it really looks like it´s a repair item.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Can anyone chime in on how easy ( or difficult) it is to remove the movement and fix myself? I've done it on a submariner.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Its easy to remove the movement just be careful with the dial the indices can fall off and since its a gloss dial it gets dirty easily,

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Took the plunge and got the movement out and refitted the hand.
Pretty much expect it to fall off again as it seemed a bit wobbly.
Might be back here asking what should be done to keep it in place.
Next step is to try out the blue rubber strap that came with it.
8005c90318358786274528cf0946af6a.jpg

20c4845df0a617cef2ae101679251590.jpg

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Well, after wearing this just about non stop for a week I must say I'm very pleased with it.
The quality of the BP factory was questioned but this is a very solid well built watch. Can't really comment on the movement apart from it is self winding well and keeping good time.
The watch is solid, substantial and heavy. The dial really is a beautiful gloss and I have no signs of dirt or fingerprints on the dial. The indices are also nice and shiny and crisp. Not sure if that is down to the TD Lucy as she did say she would get her own watchsmith to clean it if needed.
I can see no problems with the bezel insets or the number spacings, again, clean and shiny. Lucy was sent the watch with 5 loose inserts and she picked the best and fitted it herself. Her QC is second to none and perhaps why I have a great example here.
Bezel click is positive and rotation is nicely stiff, no chance of accidental movement, which really bugs me.
Lume is really good and lasts all night.
So, apart from the second hand becoming loose in transit but now staying attached and firm ever since I really can't fault it I don't think anyone could be disappointed with it if they get an example as good I got.

5a38b3c921753643868fbb9402f5df95.jpg

654a1b4d79b60abe35c70f8d3aceee35.jpg

ac7c2d1d1b6c952bedc834e35dcf7477.jpg

d28232c08e62e30f8c0b385a2fb04145.jpg

559a2d54028db01a3cc122fd2c56c62f.jpg

6db8c80a8f03b1f4d774e4be78fe0577.jpg

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
And here it is with the blue rubber swapped on.
beccb75f0ae65127f2ea548911c66368.jpg

232e27df41506522125f03b8bae72e76.jpg

4ac5216a92de9e385899446ef5e1b705.jpg

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Now that I have my Genuine I will do a comparison. I have two reps of this watch both BP , one from Intime and one from Toro. One is complete and has been serviced, waterproofed and had the dial cleaned by VAC. The other is in several pieces one complete new dial and hand set along with a second dial and hand set on the movement which is out of the case and working perfectly, Only problem is the 1 is missing from the 12 thus the new dial, the case and bracelet are 99% mint.

These two reps after the comparison will go on sale for very reasonable prices. I cant give a time frame but I hope in the next two weeks.

Stay Tuned.

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Now that I have my Genuine I will do a comparison. I have two reps of this watch both BP , one from Intime and one from Toro. One is complete and has been serviced, waterproofed and had the dial cleaned by VAC. The other is in several pieces one complete new dial and hand set along with a second dial and hand set on the movement which is out of the case and working perfectly, Only problem is the 1 is missing from the 12 thus the new dial, the case and bracelet are 99% mint.

These two reps after the comparison will go on sale for very reasonable prices. I cant give a time frame but I hope in the next two weeks.

Stay Tuned.
Really?? I recently sold mine to feed my vintage Daytona addiction, but I really miss it… Will have to keep an eye out methinks.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I think the numbers on the bezel and the dirty chrome indices on the dial are the give away, If you could just get good clean indices it would be great , the bezel is not bad but not as good as gen, Case is nearly perfect.

I have Two reps I will sell soon one you see here and the other is taken apart but complete. Case/Bracelet, Dial missing 1 from 12 attached to movement and new dial and hands, unfortunately all dials need to have the indices cleaned. IMHO