• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pepsi bezel insert battle CF vs Xing_Patrick: A photo comparison

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
How does one order this insert?

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Just an FYI, there is no "clear coat" on Rolex ceramic inserts. The high gloss finish is achieved from polishing.

Very interesting to know that it's all in the polishing. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: KJ2020

Mark1937

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
This insert seems to be Tudor GMT insert.
gen changes color all the time, and reflects colors differently. I believe the CF insert is superior in quality of ceramic, engravings and platinum mod. The numbers of this new insert are painted white, the platinum and the lack of brightness and polish make this insert very poor

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18
gen changes color all the time, and reflects colors differently. I believe the CF insert is superior in quality of ceramic, engravings and platinum mod. The numbers of this new insert are painted white, the platinum and the lack of brightness and polish make this insert very poor
What do you mean here Tudor GMT inserts are made of aluminum? And the point of this comparison is exactly to show that it changes color. I do believe the engraving are superior in the clean but that the only thing it has going for it. I'd say the insert in real time reflects light as much as the clean one. (Pictures might be to blame here). One thing here the engravings are NOT painted white in heavy sunlight you can clearly see a sliver coloring with some metallic grain (which I tried to show on the zoomed pictures in my comparison). However this insert is by no means perfect but the clean isn't better at all. (I own both in hand)

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18
To add though, it's not as perfect as your gen that's for sure!

immortalchef

10/3/19
Ontario, Canada

Completely agree with this, the paint was incredibly off-putting to me. A platinum mod is a must for anyone thinking of getting this!!!

I was going to install it the same day I got mine but couldn’t bring myself to do it. I got so used to seeing the platinum engravings on Gen, I’ll wait till I get platinum mod done before installing.

I’ve placed the insert on top of CF insert for comparison. Left is example of platinum on Gen insert, right is xing’s bezel.

zQCfqR.jpg

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18
Completely agree with this, the paint was incredibly off-putting to me. A platinum mod is a must for anyone thinking of getting this!!!

I was going to install it the same day I got mine but couldn’t bring myself to do it. I got so used to seeing the platinum engravings on Gen, I’ll wait till I get platinum mod done before installing.

I’ve placed the insert on top of CF insert for comparison. Left is example of platinum on Gen insert, right is xing’s bezel.

zQCfqR.jpg
Yeah like I said, it's not white but not platinum either. I have no clue what they used.

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18

zQCfqR.jpg
Yeah like I said, it's not white but not platinum either. I have no clue what they used.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@immortalchef

Bro you might try a Molotow fast flood paint mod in the mean time. It would at least give an indication of how it would look with a more permanent platinum mod.

It's easily done and easily reversed.

KJ2020 Paint Mod

j92VkP.jpg

j9A3AR.jpg

j9ADaS.jpg

j92cVW.jpg

j92JOJ.jpg

Reactions: cjt202020

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Just received my Xing bezel and my first impressions are similar to others. The red and blue colors are terrific (definitely a big improvement over the CF colors) . The insert paint looks very white indoors, less so outdoors. There is still a hint of platinum metallic color indoors, which becomes much more apparent when outdoors. According to Xing, they did use platinum paint. The markers are a little deeper compared to the CF and therefore look a little more 3D. Many pics to follow!

Reactions: fpi87 and leo6929

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
@Mark1937 and @StreetFighter, is the platinum paint used on the CF insert pretty close in color tone to your gen insert? Also, in low/indoor light, is the gen coating brighter/whiter compared to the CF insert? Just trying to gauge how far off the xing insert paint is compared to gen...and if it makes sense to get it sputter coated.

Mark1937

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
@Mark1937 and @StreetFighter, is the platinum paint used on the CF insert pretty close in color tone to your gen insert? Also, in low/indoor light, is the gen coating brighter/whiter compared to the CF insert? Just trying to gauge how far off the xing insert paint is compared to gen...and if it makes sense to get it sputter coated.
The paint used by cf is very similar to the gen, it is obvious that real platinum has reflections that no rep insert can have. This new insert is too dull, the paint is too white and the colors are far from the gen. The gen pepsi frame changes color continuously and is very glossy. CF ceramics are superior in everything, too bad the colors.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
The paint used by cf is very similar to the gen, it is obvious that real platinum has reflections that no rep insert can have. This new insert is too dull, the paint is too white and the colors are far from the gen. The gen pepsi frame changes color continuously and is very glossy. CF ceramics are superior in everything, too bad the colors.

Good to know about the paint bro. Thanks. As for the new insert being dull, I think the photos don't do it justice. IRL, the insert is quite glossy. Having said that, perhaps the CF insert is a hair glossier. See video below (xing insert is sitting on my VSF sub in the middle).