• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Ref. 5811 Announced

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
zTCAi3.jpg

Lol marketing department: "hey put on these two watches, but wear the one on the right upside down, then cross your arms".

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
This is great for Patek and the lucky few who can get the gen.

But it’s bad news for rep owners as steel doesn’t look like white gold. So the whole case and bracelet will have to be plated afterwards, if the rep makers don’t plate it to begin with.

SS looks so close to WG that you wouldn't be able to tell unless they were side by side anyway.

BIONONE

Respected Member
28/4/17
SS looks so close to WG that you wouldn't be able to tell unless they were side by side anyway.
That‘s maybe true for some people but believe me it is possible to distinguish the warm shine and much softer appearance of white gold from stainless steel even without them laying side by side.

It‘s a bit like saying a Svarovski stone is identical to a VVS.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

I couldn’t agree less. You just have to see a white gold Patek once in your life and you will never again mistake SS for WG. It’s a huge difference.
Steel looks grey and has much less shine. White gold is more yellow and shines much more.

Reactions: Richyv

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

Try looking at the above posted picture (the one where he’s wearing the 5711 on one wrist and 5811 on the other).
Look how yellow the metal looks on the lower one and how grey it looks on the upper one.
It’s such a huge difference and this is just a picture. It’s much more obvious irl.

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Apart from the color difference between 316L stainless steel and white gold, there's also the weight difference between the two to consider.

Would 904L stainless steel be a closer match to white gold?

Last edited:

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Apart from the color difference between 316L stainless steel and white gold, there's also the weight difference between the two to consider.

Would 904L stainless steel be a closer match to white gold?
In the weight front 904 won’t add as much as you might think. It is relatively heavier than 316 but compared to WG it is still considerably lighter.

Another factor to consider is the fact that WG will scratch easily and will certainly show wear compared to any SS option.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
That‘s maybe true for some people but believe me it is possible to distinguish the warm shine and much softer appearance of white gold from stainless steel even without them laying side by side.

It‘s a bit like saying a Svarovski stone is identical to a VVS.

I'm sure for nerds such as ourselves studying this game as a passion project it would be a tell. But this is such a niche hobby that the odds of someone looking at your 5811 rep and thinking it has the wrong hue is basically nil. A bigger tell is the fact that the 5811 has a likey5 market value of around 250k. So I wouldn't worry about it. If this is genuinely a grail piece and it bothers someone that much, get it plated. I personally wouldn't bother.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Try looking at the above posted picture (the one where he’s wearing the 5711 on one wrist and 5811 on the other).
Look how yellow the metal looks on the lower one and how grey it looks on the upper one.
It’s such a huge difference and this is just a picture. It’s much more obvious irl.

Nah dude.
I couldn’t agree less. You just have to see a white gold Patek once in your life and you will never again mistake SS for WG. It’s a huge difference.
Steel looks grey and has much less shine. White gold is more yellow and shines much more.

I have seen it in real life and stand by my comment. You're overreacting the difference. I stand by my comment. Feel free to plate the upcoming 5811 rep if you feel it's a big tell on your rep that is pretending to be a 250k watch that will be the real tell.

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
In the weight front 904 won’t add as much as you might think. It is relatively heavier than 316 but compared to WG it is still considerably lighter.

I was referring to the color difference between 904L stainless steel and white gold. As you probably know 904L steel is more yellow than 316L steel.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Still not close. I am wearing a 904 at the moment and it is rather noticeable compared to my wedding band which is WG. No real comparison colour wise.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Nah dude.

I have seen it in real life and stand by my comment. You're overreacting the difference. I stand by my comment. Feel free to plate the upcoming 5811 rep if you feel it's a big tell on your rep that is pretending to be a 250k watch that will be the real tell.

Yes, it should be plated if you want it to resemble the gen.

I am not saying there isn't a difference. I understand the warmer hue of WG exists. I am stating this warmer hue would not signify a piece being WG unless it's side by side with an SS model, certainly not on another person's wrist on its own.

If you had seen a WG Patek, you would’ve experienced how obvious it is and would’ve known it’s not something you need to see side by side.

Reactions: BIONONE

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Yes, it should be plated if you want it to resemble the gen.

If you had seen a WG Patek, you would’ve experienced how obvious it is and would’ve known it’s not something you need to see side by side.

I'll reiterate my comment one last time so I don't clog this thread. The difference is not significant enough to matter. It will never be a tell, ever. If someone is somehow savvy enough to look at your wrist and think the hue is somehow off, this rare, majestic creature will also know the value of this watch is $250k and will know it's fake anyway.

Looking forward to the 5811 by PPF

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I'll reiterate my comment one last time so I don't clog this thread. The difference is not significant enough to matter. It will never be a tell, ever. If someone is somehow savvy enough to look at your wrist and think the hue is somehow off, this rare, majestic creature will also know the value of this watch is $250k and will know it's fake anyway.

Looking forward to the 5811 by PPF

If the difference doesn’t matter to you, fine, that’s a matter of preference. We can agree to disagree on that.
The latter depends on the lifestyle of the wearer.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
If the difference doesn’t matter to you, fine, that’s a matter of preference. We can agree to disagree on that.
The latter depends on the lifestyle of the wearer.
Yep, matter of preference for sure. I know I said that was my last post but I think this picture taken with all the new models released in the same photo illustrates my point and adds value to the conversation:

And cut and paste side by side:

It's barely a difference and that's side by side. On its own with nothing to compare it to I still argue no one will EVER know.

If someone ever figures out your rep is SS, that dude is the Terminator and you should probably run.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for this picture. It’s helpful. Because it can make people decide what they feel when they look at this picture. Because it’s a bit funny buddy, that we are looking at the same picture and each one feel it proves their point :D I can see one is yellow, the other is grey. You see the same picture and think it’s a subtle difference. We can only be left to respect each other’s opinion.

If someone ever figures out your rep is SS, that dude is the Terminator and you should probably run.
Lol yes

Reactions: BIONONE and Duckber