• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Railmaster CK2914 ~ Research Thread

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
SM is going upmarket and legit.

I asked in the past. They don't do copyrighted brands at all.
Yeah, they've actually earned quite a reputation for themselves at or near the top of the tier they compete in, on the bang for the buck hierarchy.
That said, I'm pretty sure a lot of these companies have "incestuous" relationships with one another, including legit brands and pure rep factories...they clearly use a lot of the same parts and suppliers. For example, I doubt there's 500 crown manufacturers in China...probably more like a dozen, and the hundreds of brands that come out of the area all use them...gen, rep, aftermarket, and as spare parts.

I have to wonder if there's not a vendor that could offer a sterile SM with "less than legal" tweaks, lol. Maybe a TD, one that offers custom work, could help navigate the waters.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/10/16
they don't have this model on sterile
I had not thought about that

@manodeoro What do you think?
If I send you the dial and hands, could you reprint the dial and do the relume?

This way I keep some business "local" instead of sending more money to Asia 😅

I may but negative-white only so white writings will be flat ... no thickness.
I'll try with mine and share the results ;) but it won't be before end of March 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Yeah, they've actually earned quite a reputation for themselves at or near the top of the tier they compete in, on the bang for the buck hierarchy.
That said, I'm pretty sure a lot of these companies have "incestuous" relationships with one another, including legit brands and pure rep factories...they clearly use a lot of the same parts and suppliers. For example, I doubt there's 500 crown manufacturers in China...probably more like a dozen, and the hundreds of brands that come out of the area all use them...gen, rep, aftermarket, and as spare parts.

I have to wonder if there's not a vendor that could offer a sterile SM with "less than legal" tweaks, lol. Maybe a TD, one that offers custom work, could help navigate the waters.
trust me...I have tried to find such a vendor 😅

that said, I still think that Bi Vintage or hopefully Mano can provide a much better product

Reactions: dpd3672

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
trust me...I have tried to find such a vendor 😅

that said, I still think that Bi Vintage or hopefully Mano can provide a much better product
I can absolutely, without reservation, recommend Manodeoro. He did a dial for me that I love, and his posts (and a few others) have taught me a lot of what I've managed to learn about how dials are made.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/10/16
based on Mano's response, I am going to order Bi...after I measure the dial

Some members have had issues with dials from Bi Vintage ... white prints that go away just by running a finger over them :rolleyes:
I didn't see this problem with my own eyes but a friend sent me some pics and :eek:
I think it's exceptional but when it happens the seller should take responsibility ... which wasn't the case.

• Wow

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Some members have had issues with dials from Bi Vintage ... white prints that go away just by running a finger over them :rolleyes:
I didn't see this problem with my own eyes but a friend sent me some pics and :eek:
I think it's exceptional but when it happens the seller should take responsibility ... which wasn't the case.
I agree...Did you buy your pad printer yet?

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
happy to have a companion
I will measure the SM dial this week end
If you can, would you mind scanning the dial (SM and/or BV) and uploading the scan? Or sending me the file in a PM? It'll be on the "to do" list for the new toys in the workshop, and if I can ever get it to look legit, you're welcome to the first successful Railmaster dial as a "thank you."

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
If you can, would you mind scanning the dial (SM and/or BV) and uploading the scan? Or sending me the file in a PM? It'll be on the "to do" list for the new toys in the workshop, and if I can ever get it to look legit, you're welcome to the first successful Railmaster dial as a "thank you."
I had planned to do exactly that 😅
it's funny because I was actually PMing you at the instant 😅

I am thinking of deleting the SM text and putting a decal on it. I will also buy the Bivintage and wait for Mano's schedule to free up. I think I am going to throw stupid money on this project

also, do you have a Adobe Illustrator subscription? I am thinking my way about it. It's rather expensive for the low usage I would have.
There are some other online software, so maybe that's good enough.

Finally, I had an idea. If I can get SM to ship me sterile dials as is...

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I've been using Inkscape, because it's free, and some of the proprietary software that comes with the machines I bought (the laser engraver and 3D printer, and precision cutter...the software isn't exactly designed for what I'm using it for, but it's fairly adaptable, and these projects really aren't as complicated as the software is capable of).

I thought about buying the Adobe software, but I've never really used it, other than Photoshop, which kind of lost me when they went to a subscription model...I don't mind paying $100 for a program that I can use for 5 years or so, but don't use it enough to pay $250/year for the subscription. I'd mostly be cranking out the 70 or so dials I have scans of, and adding a few a year as new stuff comes up. Have to think about it, or find some kind of deal on it.

I still might wind up subscribing...or just buying an older version that's not based on a subscription...I don't really need the highest tech features it has, just the basic image editing.

I have been pleasantly surprised at what Inkscape is capable of, for a free product...it's just a little cumbersome and less intuitive than Adobe.

Noir

Getting To Know The Place
1/1/20
*breathes heavily* I have always wanted a railmaster! I even purchased several watch hands for a 2914-1 and the thick dial (but crappy print) for a potential build. I messaged MQ in 2022 for a price for his case and he said 1000 USD.

• Wow
Reactions: 369mafia

Noir

1/1/20
and that triggered your first post 😅
@eBoy @Feefo 😁
Yes, it did! So far I have two 284 movements, three sets of hands, two dials (with crappy print, hoping to get in contact who can refinish), and two railmaster satin crowns. I am missing: case tube, maybe a new dial, and a case.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Yes, it did! So far I have two 284 movements, three sets of hands, two dials (with crappy print, hoping to get in contact who can refinish), and two railmaster satin crowns. I am missing: case tube, maybe a new dial, and a case.
Bivintage proposes the dial for 100 and the case for 500, if you are interested

I decided to go for the SM route, to see if a reapeatable budget build is possible

where did you get the crown and what are the dimensions please?
I will need to replace the SM tube, except if I can get a compatible crown with the current tube.

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway

I decided to go for the SM route, to see if a reapeatable budget build is possible

I will need to replace the SM tube, except if I can get a compatible crown with the current tube.
The Railmaster used a Naiad crown system same as the OG Seamaster 300 with the measurements 6,3×3,1mm. It had the Omega symbol with the three pointed star in it. Might be hard to find a rep of it but at least you won't need a threaded crown to fit.

HcdYOo.jpeg

HcdOjk.jpeg

Hcd2j5.jpeg

It was a push pull crown but had a system that made it more efficient at holding water out the higher the pressure. It wasn't great at low pressure so they moved to screw downs eventually.

Noir

1/1/20

Hmm, Bivintage you say? Does he still deal on ebay or through email?

The crown I have is 6.75 dia, 3.3 thick, and 2.5 tube, Omega part number is ST45009
I purchased my crowns from jules borel (a watch parts house) years ago. Mine are satin in finish with no logo. The omega 277 uses the same crown.