• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Railmaster CK2914 ~ Research Thread

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
interestingly, the SM uses a 6.3 and 3.1m threaded screwdown crown, not a push pull
I am also wondering if it's a screwed tube or pressure fitted

I am scouring various places to see if I can find an Omega crown that has an internal thread of 3.1
If I am lucky, i won't have to change the tube

Reactions: 369mafia

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
the SM is very close. even the dial.
The only challenge will be the weird chapter ring.

If I am lucky, the Bi dial will be slightly smaller. then I will need to find a way to create that ring.

If same size then, does not matter 😅

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Time to get myself one of those and out in this junk 31mm dial then 😂

HcsTQP.jpeg

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
how much? and where ? 😱
It came from a Seamaster 300 heritage shitter I bought a long time ago. I threw out the 2813, hands and dial, sanded off the markings on the case back and crown, installed an NH35 and a 31mm "Seiko" dial and sold it off on a NATO strap.

• Love
Reactions: Karbon74

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I think that there is a lot of potential in some of those shitters to do vintage.

we rework everything anyway
Yes, for sure.

I'm actually revisiting my "less desirables" and trying to think about what I could do to make them respectable. I've got more than a few of the semi-sterile Parnis "Marina Militare" watches that could probably be tweaked into decent Pam reps without too much work. Most have decent case sets and hands, 6497 or ST36 movements, and the dials aren't half bad, either (just lacking any Pam branding). I think a new dial and some tweaks could make for some fine watches. I might even be able to laser cut some of the existing dials to make them into 3 piece Pam dials.

That and a quartz, 2-tone GMT rep that I think could make a semi-respectable Sub or GMT with a little work.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
On with my research.

Finding a screwdown Omega crown that fits a 3.1 mm threaded tube is unfruitful ( what the hell is a 3.1mm anyway???) Am I measuring wrong?

I have found Crowns and tube with
4,37mm dia thread
4,0 mm dia
3,9 mm dia
2,6mm dia

I think that I will need to replace the tube.
Now, the SM tube is screw-in...so to put a new tube, it is quite certain that the tube hole will be too large after reaming

I am thinking of doing a metal epoxy fill and drill a new tube hole.

Thoughts?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I had to look up the term in english
I am talking about a cold weld at blank, and redrill.

Anyone has a better idea?

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
On with my research.

Finding a screwdown Omega crown that fits a 3.1 mm threaded tube is unfruitful ( what the hell is a 3.1mm anyway???) Am I measuring wrong?

I have found Crowns and tube with
4,37mm dia thread
4,0 mm dia
3,9 mm dia
2,6mm dia

I think that I will need to replace the tube.
Now, the SM tube is screw-in...so to put a new tube, it is quite certain that the tube hole will be too large after reaming

I am thinking of doing a metal epoxy fill and drill a new tube hole.

Thoughts?

I encountered that same issue with with my 1019 build. the tube was huge and I had thought of ways to fill and redril I thought of solder but also a metal epoxy would be probably better suited. ... drill out the hole and press a stainless steel plug , but that also seems rather challenging..

I would defiantly source the parts prior to attempting this procedure. Be sure to document your technique for us.

I say the JB weld would be the easiest

quick search found this. have not tried it but have used JB weld. similar Im sure.

Last edited:

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
The way I think about it is that I could avoid full redrill.
I could leave in the thread, and put the epoxy with a piece of pegwood in the middle. This way I will have a guide for drilling just the epoxy.

also I found that there is now a sort of premade putty vs liquid epoxy

Noir

Getting To Know The Place
1/1/20
the SM is very close. even the dial.
The only challenge will be the weird chapter ring.

If I am lucky, the Bi dial will be slightly smaller. then I will need to find a way to create that ring.

If same size then, does not matter 😅
by "chapter ring "do you mean the silver ring? That is part of the crystal. It's a thick tension ring!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

another challenge that I am anticipating. The Bi dial is thicc (as gen)
I had planned to reuse the stock hands, but I might run into pinion height issues

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA

another challenge that I am anticipating. The Bi dial is thicc (as gen)
I had planned to reuse the stock hands, but I might run into pinion height issues
The second photo says "Flightmaster." Wasn't that a chronograph?