• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New PPF 5712 with PP240 Super Clone.....

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
@DerpyOfficer Delighted that you took the clone 240 movement apart and serviced it. No glued parts or other surprises? In your opinion, is the movement robust and worthy of servicing or better left alone?

FWIW, I have found the 3KF 324 movements to be reliable and surprisingly accurate over my period of ownership (although I know some have had issues with their crowns) and am hoping that's true of the 240 clones too. Appreciate your thoughts.
I think my biggest surprise was that everything was where it was supposed to be. Before I took off the dial I was kinda expecting to see a "unique" way they made the power reserve, date and moonphase work. Kinda like how they did on the V1.

zqLMwK.jpg

zqLRLI.jpg

zqLS3i.jpg

But low and behold, when they said they cloned it they meant it.

Unfortunately I will have to say I have a few concerns, I'm concerned about the longevity of some of the hair thin springs used. Which are used in key critical functions such as the power reserve, automatic works, and calendar mechanism.

zqLViF.jpg

I also had two small screws when removing them from the movement, the heads split. So material quality as mentioned before should be expected to be hit or miss. (Thankfully I had some appropriate screws to replace them with).

Another thing is the keyless works. If you remove the crown/stem. You will more than likely need to have to reset the position of the winding sliding pinion as there's too much space in the keyless works for it and it falls out of position very easily.

Overall, It's honestly a pretty straightforward movement with all it's complications. But the movement was bone dry and absolutely could use a few drops of oil to elongate the life of the movement. And wouldn't hurt from a cleaning as well, tho it wasn't too dirty when I opened mine. Be warned tho, there are fragile screws and tension springs inside and parts are spare parts are definitely few and far between.

centrum

27/7/14
I think my biggest surprise was that everything was where it was supposed to be. Before I took off the dial I was kinda expecting to see a "unique" way they made the power reserve, date and moonphase work. Kinda like how they did on the V1.

zqLMwK.jpg

zqLRLI.jpg

zqLS3i.jpg

Unfortunately I will have to say I have a few concerns, I'm concerned about the longevity of some of the hair thin springs used. Which are used in key critical functions such as the power reserve, automatic works, and calendar mechanism.

zqLViF.jpg

I also had two small screws when removing them from the movement, the heads split. So material quality as mentioned before should be expected to be hit or miss. (Thankfully I had some appropriate screws to replace them with).

Another thing is the keyless works. If you remove the crown/stem. You will more than likely need to have to reset the position of the winding sliding pinion as there's too much space in the keyless works for it and it falls out of position very easily.

Overall, It's honestly a pretty straightforward movement with all it's complications. But the movement was bone dry and absolutely could use a few drops of oil to elongate the life of the movement. And wouldn't hurt from a cleaning as well, tho it wasn't too dirty when I opened mine. Be warned tho, there are fragile screws and tension springs inside and parts are spare parts are definitely few and far between.

Thank you for the naked pics of the new clone movement. Too bad the movement was bone dry. I always wondered if I should service my reps once I receive them, but my rep smith advised me to keep wearing until a problem arises.

Can't wait to pull the trigger on this bad boy and go through joys and repairs.

mrkawasaki

Known Member
27/1/21
how do you guys think the movement finishing quality compares to gen? I mean to the naked eye but also with some magnifying glass, thanks

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
@DerpyOfficer Thanks for the write up and pics. Extremely helpful. Unfortunately, performing a service is way beyond my skill level, so I've sent it to my watch smith for his attention. He was under the misapprehension that the movement had glued parts, etc., but you have confirmed otherwise. I'll hold thumbs that all goes well and wait for his feedback on the movement.

Cheers

azertyski

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
24/10/17
amazing...
Pictures did the job, I pull the trigger on it

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
amazing...
Pictures did the job, I pull the trigger on it
Who let you order it? Geektime won’t let me order, won’t be available for a few weeks. Guessing he’s got back orders to fill.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
they really need to speed up the production of cases/dials, such a good movement cannot be exclusive to 5712. I was hoping for a platinum world time (5130).
Dress watches aren’t popular enough unfortunately. They won’t be cloning a world time module. I would hope so but realistically….ain’t gonna happen

Reactions: BIONONE

mrkawasaki

Known Member
27/1/21
Okay, I am really tempted to buy one of them, which trusted dealer is best for it? :D

TagHeuerFan1963

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
6/10/13
Earth

zqLMwK.jpg

zqLRLI.jpg

zqLS3i.jpg

zqLViF.jpg

When you say the V1 used a unique way of solving things, is that movement not as serviceable?

Th4ySoN

FailingToGetOutOfRepsGuy
Gold Patron
Certified
8/5/20
UK
zISGOX.jpg

zISxap.jpg

zISSki.jpg

zIS0Jb.jpg

zISVFF.jpg

zISJp5.jpg

Got it today! Finally!
Ordered on 6th of June from @jtimewatch.
First time ever it takes too long but we all now it’s PPF that is advertising this amazing rep without having actual stock to provide the TDs and dealers.

Just FYI I’ve seen the V1 in hands, and this is by far more gen like.

Now the watch dial:
First of all! I do NOT see that hint of purple in real life, at ALL.
Dial is imho a perfect shade of blue, as it should be, no green hint taking over.
And that was exactly what I was expecting, the purple colour for cameras is a tricky one, for example, Shmee150 has a purple 675LT and in real life it doesn’t even compare to videos he uploads.
So anyone that hasn’t pull the trigger because of this , just do it.!

The movement:
Not posting a picture as there’s already so many, to me the fact that they tried to “hide” or kinda of a “make up” on the design of the balance regulator, makes it look very gen like and not that easy to spot as rep, probably watch dealers or even ADs may have a hard time to spot without the conventional regulation arms. Obviously there’s the balance wheel as a straight tell too, but every evolution counts in this rep game imo.
Rotor noisy as f.. not as much as the 9015s but very loud for my taste. It will get silenced soon.

The bracelet:
Fells nice and well made, clasp a bit stuff but I believe it will get better with use, i honestly don’t know why Patek still using this clasp design when Aquanauts design is soo much better and im sure it can be done to the same thickness etc.

Power reserve:
Works like a charm, always amazing to have all functions, I waited a lot for this to come with the power reserve working and it was worth the wait.

The watch as whole is the best feel ootb rep I’ve ever owned, that being said. I will get my watchmaker to have a service done, and water pressure test pretty soon to check the quality of the clone movement. I’ve never bought the V1 because he advised me the movement it’s dog shit on V1s.

I’ll get more pictures when the sun comeback
Meanwhile I’m confident that this rep will not disappoint.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
@NewtUK thanks for a great mini-review buddy.

Looks really good. Enjoy.

I’m eagerly awaiting mine, en route. It’s good to hear that it doesn’t have purple in the dial.

How close is it to the gens 8.53mm. Could you do a measurement of the thickness?

Th4ySoN

FailingToGetOutOfRepsGuy
Gold Patron
Certified
8/5/20
UK
I’ll do it when I get it to my watchmaker by the end of the month for sure.
Don’t have the tool unfortunately
But anything less than 0.5mm is virtually impossible to feel so definitely gen feel.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Time bandit

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/1/17
Uk
I've seen a 5712 in AD York and the dial is very close to the v1 , this v2 is darker with less sunburst and the moonphase is not a match either ,
Having said thus the guards and crowns a big improvement with working PR ,
I will wait for a dial improvement as my modded v1 crown works for me ,
There hard to compare as gens are like hens teeth chaps

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
I concur that this is one of the nicest reps ootb.

For thickness, Gen is 8.52 mm per PP site, V2 is 9.0 mm per my calipers, and V1 is 9.8 mm (my measurement).
The noticeable difference when comparing V1 and V2 side by side is the lug width. V2 is 3.4 mm, whereas V1 is 4 mm -- which makes it look chuncky.

Also, the V2 bracelet is much better overall compared to the V1.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057