• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Almost finished. Just a gremlin in the date works to fix.
In the end I went with a metal "service" insert. I just preferred it over the bakelite...
Maybe I'll change it back in time...

IMG-3172.jpg

This is absolutely Beautiful.

Reactions: muiramas

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Does anyone know what factory this is from? It's not the RBF version that Puretime posted

MrHEPennypacker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/20
Thrasher I received a similar message when I tried to order. I have a Ruby dial, so it matters less to me. But I don’t want to pay full price for the vintage treatment if I’m going to take it out anyways. I could’ve sworn Li said a while back that he could get me a plain version of it for less, but he said this morning it’d cost the same.

What I’d really love from them is the case, bezel assembly, and Pan Am caseback (at a price that reflected just those items). That way I could source a movement and crystal, put in the tropical Ruby dial, and age everything exactly the way I want. Although I know that’s probably a bit crazy and likely not going to happen.

Reactions: Thrasher

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
This is absolutely Beautiful.

Thanks buddy. It was a nice lockdown project. Certainly a learning curve. I’d do things different next time. But moved on to other projects for now...

38302-B18-3958-4232-B545-9-E8796-E03-A61.jpg

What I’d really love from them is the case, bezel assembly, and Pan Am caseback (at a price that reflected just those items). That way I could source a movement and crystal, put in the tropical Ruby dial, and age everything exactly the way I want. Although I know that’s probably a bit crazy and likely not going to happen.

That and the movement is all thats left of mine as well. I damaged the original plexi, which was a shame as it was nice. I started off with the SYL dial as I didn't like the white dial from Li - the colour is too shock white / flat and the lume is horrible. That was a mistake, as at least I'd then have the Pan Am case back. Everything's a learning curve...

Last edited:

tim03

Known Member
8/1/19
United Kingdom
So I decided to order the PAN AM from Li and he says .

"The reason why I did not get back to you in time for sending you the PP info is that I have been talking with the maker about the panam watch.
They told me that there is a possibility the white dial color will be off after sometime usage, like this picture as follow"

Has anyone come across this problem?

I have been re reading the thread and so far I see no mention of this.

thumbnail_image340f3a52c9a32fd1.png

I have paid and been waiting for the Pan Am from Li for a while, I was told that they were having trouble sourcing the dial, maybe trying to get a fix for the problem in the photo? Thanks for the heads up and post of this to enlighten others.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Thrasher I received a similar message when I tried to order. I have a Ruby dial, so it matters less to me. But I don’t want to pay full price for the vintage treatment if I’m going to take it out anyways. I could’ve sworn Li said a while back that he could get me a plain version of it for less, but he said this morning it’d cost the same.

How do I get the Ruby's Password? I filled out a contact form requesting a password two nights ago.
thanks in Advance

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I was able to Pay Li at JTIME this morning for the PAN AM ROLEX white dial 6542 (Hand Made) so we will see how long before QC, Li estimates 20 days.

Reactions: MrHEPennypacker

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
Almost finished. Just a gremlin in the date works to fix.
In the end I went with a metal "service" insert. I just preferred it over the bakelite...
Maybe I'll change it back in time...

IMG-3172.jpg

IF Rolex ever really did make the albino 6542 at the request of Pan Am's boss, it's entirely possible that by the time they did ('59?) they'd have already switched over to the aluminum insert after the radium controversy.

i8u2day

Looking Around
24/5/20
Amazing info on this thread... just ordered from Jtime.

Anyone know of a good jubilee bracelet I could get for it? Preferably a vintage one with folded plates. Not sure what size / fitting I'm looking. Sorry for noob Q, been a lurker on this forum for a while and it's my first rep!

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

i8u2day

Looking Around
24/5/20
Apologies for duplicate posts - it keeps saying 'invalid server response' when posting something, but just posts it anyway - now I can't delete them...

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Amazing info on this thread... just ordered from Jtime.

Anyone know of a good jubilee bracelet I could get for it? Preferably a vintage one with folded plates. Not sure what size / fitting I'm looking. Sorry for noob Q, been a lurker on this forum for a while and it's my first rep!

Thanks in advance :)

20mm
eBay - $30-$100.
Ruby's - $$$ if you want the best one.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
True, but isn't this the "fake"lite bezel? If I recall correctly only the newer ones from TS and other sellers have an actual Bakelite bezel.

This is true. I was actually thinking about putting one of these together with an aluminum bezel insert like Muiramas did.