• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW! 1675 GMT case set offering from Raffles.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
For sure watching this thread to see those massive crown guards get modified. Glad Raffles has the 1675 case in stock however!

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
This is turning into the 1675 version of the fantastic threads we have on the 1016, 5513, and 5517...if there are others, I'm not aware of them.

Looking forward to everything I'm about to learn.

NOT looking forward to whatever I'm going to wind up buying to chase perfection, lol.

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
In any case, Raffle's case is bigger than gen by 0.02, and CG are to be worked a lot

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
This is turning into the 1675 version of the fantastic threads we have on the 1016, 5513, and 5517...if there are others, I'm not aware of them.

Looking forward to everything I'm about to learn.

NOT looking forward to whatever I'm going to wind up buying to chase perfection, lol.
what's missing is a 1680 and a 1665 thread 😁

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Working on a 1680 now, but hit a snag getting the bezel off on a Raffles case...damn crystals break, every time.
how are you breaking the crystal? remove insert with razor and fish out the octagon retaining wire and the bezel should come off...crystal should not be damaged in any way unless you diss it with the razor trying to get the insert off?

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
how are you breaking the crystal? remove insert with razor and fish out the octagon retaining wire and the bezel should come off...crystal should not be damaged in any way unless you diss it with the razor trying to get the insert off?
I got the same problem on the Raffles 1016.
Crystal is glued solid. When I wedge the knife, the whole bezel assembly pops out with the crystal

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I got the same problem on the Raffles 1016.
Crystal is glued solid. When I wedge the knife, the whole bezel assembly pops out with the crystal
I heatgunned the assembly on low and it broke free the crystal from the glue... not hot enough to damage the crystal, but if you've got a hair dryer, that might do it too.

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
The first one broke trying to push it out of the slot from behind. I suspect it was either already broken or there was some kind of adhesive involved, but was planning on replacing it anyway, so didn't worry too much (5517 build). The next two were the same...stress cracks after pushing it out from behind (which required very little force, so I suspect they might have started that way). These were to be my 5513 and 1680 builds. So all three are stalled, although I have been working on the other aspects of the build as time allows...bezel and insert patina and case shaping.

Wanted to try Clark's crystals (or others, I'm open to recommendations) anyway, so this just forced my hand there. Never had trouble removing their other crystals, so maybe I just got a bad batch.

• Wow
Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
that is surprising. I didnt think those were glued in I have another 5513 case set in transit so I will be mindful of this when I tear it down to modify it

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
When Milks case exists I see no reason to bother with this. Even if you reshape the crownguards to something acceptable looking the "wall" of material at the crown looks terrible. If you decide to tackle that too it'll require more than simple hand tools and at that point you might as well just start with a better case to begin with. Then when you start thinking about upgrading some parts you're SOL because chances are none of it is gen-spec.

Outside of his Explorer case and some hand sets I really dont see any of his offerings worth the time and effort tbh.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
When Milks case exists I see no reason to bother with this. Even if you reshape the crownguards to something acceptable looking the "wall" of material at the crown looks terrible. If you decide to tackle that too it'll require more than simple hand tools and at that point you might as well just start with a better case to begin with. Then when you start thinking about upgrading some parts you're SOL because chances are none of it is gen-spec.

Outside of his Explorer case and some hand sets I really dont see any of his offerings worth the time and effort tbh.
How much is Milk's case though? Because this is very inexpensive!

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
for this price it's a really good buy, if you don't want to go viet with the sn's.

milk case is similar cgs and needs a lot work still, and is 4x? more expensive.

i have bought his heavy bracelets and to be honest they are great quality for the price (albeit being far from gen) and feel imo surpasses even mark's bracelets.

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
Lets see how good/bad the raffles case really is first. If it is near gen spec there is no reason to pay more for a case. I mean 59 dollars… maybe this is close enough?
There are other drawbacks with milk and vietnam for me. The milk v2 is nice but i don’t like the soft chamfers on it. And you can’t form the CGs to your liking.
One of the main upsides i see here. I always wanted to build an early round crown guards gilt dial version. So the flat top on the CGs like this:

Unfortunately, afaik this is not available from any source. So maybe this raffles case is my chance?

deadaglev

professional nitpicker
Supporter
Certified
6/5/13
Germany
i ordered a caseset too. Lets see:) anyone has an idea what movement options this case is able to accommodate? i have a DG3804 complete with everything ready in my BP Build, or a spare ETA 2846 wich would need a new handset and a GMT conversion.
My guess is the ETA option because of the stem height, but maybe someone has already had his hands on this set and tried?

Megahz1

Vintage lover
6/5/18
EU
i ordered a caseset too. Lets see:) anyone has an idea what movement options this case is able to accommodate? i have a DG3804 complete with everything ready in my BP Build, or a spare ETA 2846 wich would need a new handset and a GMT conversion.
My guess is the ETA option because of the stem height, but maybe someone has already had his hands on this set and tried?
You can also convert an ETA 2879 which shares the calendar parts with the 2836, but is low beat. Stem height is the same and is a great option for low beat builds. I bought a couple for my subs and they work good after a service.