• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My First Cuban and Rolex

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
Yeah, i`m done with this section of the forum. Do not like being called a liar by a person who was not there. On friday i had a couple SF buddies over, i showed them the reply by the member here, they just started laughing.

It`s too easy for a person to sit behind a key board and create an image of themself on a forum to other members, i don`t play that game and have no time for others that do, so i will not get caught up in the other members game.
k-2

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Sir, with all due respect (and I have no reason to doubt said respect is indeed due) you have NFI who Matty is. If you did, you would not be laughing.

Col.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Col, thanks for the support, I just don't know what I said that turned this whole thing into a laughing matter...

RH67 what just happened? I embraced you and welcomed you to the forum as I realized and understood that you are a human being and made the mistake of mis-labeling the cigar you purchased in 1970's Vietnam. I wish you would explain it to me in private what was the funny humorous part that kept your Special Forces(active or retired) buddies so much entertained? As you saw, I gave up my inquisitory questioning even though I could have asked about your pre 1990 Cuban visits as an officer of the US Military forces... Anywho, nice knowing you.

As final thought, I still stick to my usual saying: Pictures or it did not happen.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Yeah, i`m done with this section of the forum. Do not like being called a liar by a person who was not there. On friday i had a couple SF buddies over, i showed them the reply by the member here, they just started laughing.

It`s too easy for a person to sit behind a key board and create an image of themself on a forum to other members, i don`t play that game and have no time for others that do, so i will not get caught up in the other members game.
k-2

This is strange after Maty's last post. I feel like giving a quick recap. Initially, you said you bought a Cohiba at a time that was before Cohiba was even available to the public. As maty has explained, Cohiba started in the late 60s as a private brand for Fidel Castro, but didn't become available to the general publicly until 1982. That sets off a red flag for obvious reasons, due to, at best, an obvious mistake about the brand name. Then, you explain that you found a wrapper, from 40 years ago (roughly, if I understand the reference correctly).

Nonetheless, Maty comes back and pleasantly welcomes you to the forum, thanks you for the story, and expresses an interest in your car and cigar collection, etc. Then you come back with this.

EDITED REASON: Misinterpreted facts, Added Excerpt from Habanos, S.A. website history page.

Excerpt from Habanos, S.A. website: http://www.habanos.com/article.aspx?aid=34

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cohiba is the flagship brand of Habanos.
It was created in 1966 for President Fidel Castro himself and was made at the then top secret but now world famous El Laguito factory. At first, it was only seen outside Cuba as gifts for heads of state and visiting diplomats.
Since 1982 Cohiba has been available in limited quantities to the open market.
The name is an ancient Taino Indian word for the bunches of tobacco leaves that Columbus first saw being smoked by the original inhabitants of Cuba — the earliest known form of the cigar.
The leaves for Cohiba are the “selection of the selection” from the five finest Vegas Finas de Primera in the San Juan y Martinez and San Luis zones of the Vuelta Abajo region.
Uniquely amongst Habanos two of Cohiba’s filler leaves, the seco and ligero, undergo a third fermentation in barrels, which adds smoothness to the blend.

pack2_cohiba.jpg

There are two distinct Lineas (Lines) of Cohiba: the medium to full flavoured Linea Clasica introduced between 1966 and 1989; and the medium flavoured Linea 1492 brought out in 1992 to mark the 500th Anniversary of Columbus’s epic voyage of discovery. Ten years later in 2002, a new size, the Siglo VI, was added to the Linea 1492.

pack1_cohiba.jpg

laguito.jpg

All sizes of Cohiba are "totalmente a mano, tripa larga" — totally hand made, long filler.
Flavour Ranking: Medium to Full (Línea Clásica) and Medium (Línea 1492).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, :ttiwwop:

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
One last thing, photos? the last thing for a person in my position was photo taking of myself or anyone else. Were we on vacation?

The black market in N-S Vietnam was big money, did Mr. Castro send cigars to communist counties? yes, did Mr. Honda personally deliver motor bikes to the communist? yes, there is so much that the average person is unaware of, what cigar was on AF-1? i will stop here but most should get my point.

I enjoy learning about these Rep. watches, i will stick to that. It is a great forum for that.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Hey pops, I was asking for photos of your bikes and cars, not of you... Why would you think that I want to see you... no clue. Anywho, this thread will be closed.

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Sorry for chiming in guys. I'm no smoker but I have a thing for boxes. Seeing this picture can make me buy those cigars and smoke 'em all....just cuz the boxes look sooooo cool. Any of you smokers got any of those laying around?

pack1_cohiba.jpg

ImaginaryForces

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/10
So are the Cohibas that are sold in cigar shops (USA/Carribbean) an inferior quality? I've seen some retailing online but wasn't sure what the difference is

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
So are the Cohibas that are sold in cigar shops (USA/Carribbean) an inferior quality? I've seen some retailing online but wasn't sure what the difference is

You can buy either Cohibas from SA or Cuba and then you have the fake Cuban Cohibas.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Sorry for chiming in guys. I'm no smoker but I have a thing for boxes. Seeing this picture can make me buy those cigars and smoke 'em all....just cuz the boxes look sooooo cool. Any of you smokers got any of those laying around?

pack1_cohiba.jpg

I have these ones that I don't use for anything. I have some others, but they are holding stuff....

Were you looking for those type/style specifically?

img0972lb.jpg

img0971l.jpg

The ones you most commonly see in the US sold at cigar stores are Dominican Cohibas as opposed to Cuban. Some call them Red Dot cohibas, because of the red dot in the O in the logo. They are very good cigars, but not the same Cohiba as cuban cohibas, which are produced by Habanos, S.A.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
You can buy either Cohibas from SA or Cuba and then you have the fake Cuban Cohibas.

On another note, this is my understanding about buying cigars in Cuba:
Its hard to buy genuine BRAND Cuban Cigars in Cuba. The only source in Cuba is the government store. Most cuban cigars are exported for economic reasons. Most Cuban cigars being bought/sold in cuba to tourists are fakes. Not that they are not cuban (they may be from cuba), but that they are cheaper cigars with brand name rings/boxes put in them.

That being said, my understanding of the previous question was that the guy was actually asking about dominican/red dot cohibas as opposed to fake cuban cohibas.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10

The Cohibas you see in the USA stores are Dominican and are called the Red Dot Cohiba. They are a genuine product and of great quality tobacco(Cuban seed).

ImaginaryForces

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/10
The Cohibas you see in the USA stores are Dominican and are called the Red Dot Cohiba. They are a genuine product and of great quality tobacco(Cuban seed).

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be trying one of these soon!

QinetiQ

Banned
6/8/09
Dustin I was interested in those wooden boxes mate. I see you got one of those. Do you feel like letting go of it? Can you PM me the price if so?

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Qinetiq,

Just walk in to a cigar shop in the UK and ask them if they would be willing to part with the empty boxes. I don't see why not... The shipping of a box would cost us a fortune, that's why I did not encourage you to get it from here. I would gladly send you some boxes my friend, but it's not worth it.

QinetiQ

Banned
6/8/09
Fair point. Too bad the only places I've seen cigar shops around here are the airports. Thanks anyway Matyoka

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10

I haven't had a cuban Cohiba yet, but I've had both the Cohiba Black and the Puro Dominicano, and they are great smokes in their own right, IMO.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Robb,

You should send the Owner of the Post an email requesting a sampler from his infinite stash of awesome Cubans :rofl: