• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My First Cuban and Rolex

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
The year was 1972 the place Vietnam, the watch a Rolex Submariner of course, the cigar a Cohiba.

Went to the local herb shop, yes herb shop they sold just about anything. Purchased the new Rolex for $127.00, then the owner of the shop said that i should celebrate with a nice Cuban cigar, i purchased a box of twenty and a lighter for $30, boy how times have changed.

I owned that watch for 30 years, then in 2002 i traded it in for a Rolex TT Blue Submariner, the dealer gave me $1700.00 for my Sub. The same year i was at an estate auction in Santa Barbara Ca. The owner of the estate was a doctor in his 90`s who had passed, well not expecting cigars i was surprised to find a huge room that was a humidor full of Cuban cigars, they were auctioned by brand in lots, myself and four others were interested in the cigars, before the auction we got together and agreed to what brand that we each wanted so we would not bid against each other so i managed to get 100 boxes of Cuban Cohibas for $1000.00. That was one sweat deal, $10.00 for a box of Cuban`s and $1700.00 for a watch that i paid $127.00 for 30 years earlier.

The cigars are long gone, depending on the day i smoke from 5-10 daily, the Rolex? still going strong.

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
nice.. good story.

5-10 cubans is just overdoing it though. :)

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Awesome story. $10 a box for Habana Cohibas sounds mighty fine to me!

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Nice story, however I am calling BS on it. No auctioneer will jeopardize his license to auction off a dead doctor's stash of illegally obtained Cuban cigars to the PUBLIC. I mean common, we are not morons... And if they do, be assured that the Auction House knows the going price and they have their private customers lined up...

Just my .2 cents :)

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
Nice story, however I am calling BS on it. No auctioneer will jeopardize his license to auction off a dead doctor's stash of illegally obtained Cuban cigars to the PUBLIC. I mean common, we are not morons... And if they do, be assured that the Auction House knows the going price and they have their private customers lined up...

Just my .2 cents :)

Sorry you feel that way. Why would i BS?? i fail to understand that.

The auction was on private property and a private auction, i buy and collect vintage cars and motorcycles and attend many auctions a year and have been doing it for over 30 years. You seem limited in your understanding of the way auctions work. If the people want their goods gone the auction will run according to their wishes if an item starts at $10 and no one else bids then the item is yours at $10 regardless of the auction house, the property is not theirs. This particular auction had 10 rare vintage race cars, the auction sold over 5 million in the sale of these cars alone, so i`m sure that the sales of these cigars was the furthest thing on their mind. This is the way an auction works, lose a little here make it up there.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Let me ask you this. Does the Auction House publish their auctions with a possible list of goods to be auctioned off? I believe that's the way people hear about these auctions, right? I'd like to see an Auction list that shows 100 boxes of Cuban cigars on it. No disrespect intended and I do admit that I have no idea of how Auctions work but I know the law.

Oh yeah, pictures of the vintage cars and motorcycles or it never happened :)

The year was 1972 the place Vietnam, the watch a Rolex Submariner of course, the cigar a Cohiba.

By the way if you wonder why you got called out by me, a reputable cigar aficionado... is due to the fact that Cohiba did not manufacture cigars for the general public until 1982. They were nowhere near Vietanam, unless you were an ambassador or a diplomat and Castro himself handed you the perticular cigar you smoked in 1972.

Really want to see the response to this one.

JC7

15/6/10
By the way if you wonder why you got called out by me, a reputable cigar aficionado... is due to the fact that Cohiba did not manufacture cigars for the general public until 1982. They were nowhere near Vietanam, unless you were an ambassador or a diplomat and Castro himself handed you the perticular cigar you smoked in 1972.

Really want to see the response to this one.

I <3 Maty

pew%20pew.gif

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
MrY,

I just love your new avatar... Daaang she is fine. JC, I know you with me in good or bad, thanks.

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
It`s obvious that you do not know what you are talking about. Were you in Vietnam? Were you in Cuba during the 70`s or 80`s? Were you even born then? didn`t think so.

I spent 5 years in Vietnam Capt. SF, then another 29 years DOD and other agencies, retired 5 years ago. Been to Cuba about twenty times before the 1990`s.

Believe what you have been told, some nice stories out there in these magazines, tends to ad some mystery to stories of half truths. I was there and thats all that matters.

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
I found the paper that the cigars were wrapped in when i bought them. On the paper it`s printed El Laguito Linea Clasica.

Wanted to share a cigar, Rolex, war time experience and it went right in the toliet. I`m done.

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
Also going thru some of that stuff i have several Vietnam war lighters that i would sell including the one that i bought with the cigars. I sort of forgot about them, PM me if interested.

JC7

15/6/10
It`s obvious that you do not know what you are talking about. Were you in Vietnam? Were you in Cuba during the 70`s or 80`s? Were you even born then? didn`t think so.

Maty was around then and already working for our govt.. I won't say where or with who, but it would surprise and impress 99% of members here.

Please don't be so offended by what he said. On a replica forum we're forced to call bullshit more than we should.

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
Maty was around then and already working for our govt.. I won't say where or with who, but it would surprise and impress 99% of members here.

Please don't be so offended by what he said. On a replica forum we're forced to call bullshit more than we should.

Thanks for the advice, and your right one might suspect on a forum of this nature that there is quite a bit of BS floating around.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
I found the paper that the cigars were wrapped in when i bought them. On the paper it`s printed El Laguito Linea Clasica.

Wanted to share a cigar, Rolex, war time experience and it went right in the toliet. I`m done.

Your story was welcomed by me and most readers, however you made the mistake of mislabeling the cigar you bought in 1970's Vietnam. We are proud of you and welcome you with open arms. As a car and motorcycle enthusiast I'd still like to see your collection.

RH67

Horology Curious
31/12/10
I have this 1959 Monark due to arrive here Feb.4 This was raced by 500cc world champion Sten Lundin.

Well for some reason the files will not upload, when i have time i will figure it out.

jddre

Known Member
15/11/10
Central CONUS
Well for some reason the files will not upload, when i have time i will figure it out.

Because you have to post them on Photobucket and then link to them, the only thing you can 'upload' in a normal way is a PDF.