• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 5G 42MM QC Pics from Lay....

Robbo73

27/5/11
Glad yours arrived before your hols DrB - that would have been a mega-annoyance if you'd had to go before it arrived.

Looks like we have 3 happy customers.

dan_j

5/11/10
Yep, even in the pic, the gen looks bigger, but thats just the pic obviously and my crappy pic taking skills...the gen lume is much more forceful, even in daylight but the rep is really very close. Small differences here and there but really 99% of the gen is captured in the rep. I'm even considering selling the gen, will wait a bit and see. Only thing about this rep I'm a little concerned about is the fragility of the rep crown threads stripping...they seem weakish on PO's, and not sure how much trauma screwing in and out it will take to strip it but it's something that looks like it will definitely need replacing down the line.

I've noticed that some gen PO's also have issues with the threads stripping. But then again the replacement parts are fairly cheap.

I see that though in your pictures, the AR on the crystal are still quite different?

Daniel

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Glad yours arrived before your hols DrB - that would have been a mega-annoyance if you'd had to go before it arrived.

Looks like we have 3 happy customers.

;) Cheers for the heads up on your arrival earlier, It was a great indication of where my package was, and lo and behold 2 days later the postman arrives. I honestly didn't think I'd get my paws on my package for a few weeks yet....got a Sinn U2 from Lay aswell, it's a really superb rep!

I've noticed that some gen PO's also have issues with the threads stripping. But then again the replacement parts are fairly cheap.

I see that though in your pictures, the AR on the crystal are still quite different?

Daniel

Yeah my crown only screws in about 1 turn or so, not the best, we'll see how it holds out. Also with the AR, honestly I find it very similar to the PO, the gen AR is a little more transparent, but with the pic above the pic angle/watch placement seems to have caught the blueish tint on the rep a little more, it's just the way the pic came out though.

Also just to note; the newer gen PO's (from 2009 ish onwards) have a clearer AR, my gen in the pic is a 2006 model and the AR on these earlier versions is more blueish than the newer later models, the rep AR is very close to these earlier gens.

Marty McFly

Horology Curious
4/5/11
I'm about to buy one of these. Can I expect the same quality in the PO with the orange numerals?

Cee

Renowned Member
1/6/11
Very nice watches, enjoy!

I've been telling myself for a while now that I will buy a UPO and every time I see a thread like this it just makes me want to get my credit card out and go crazy... haha

Out of curiosity, I've heard that removing links/resizing the UPO bracelet is a real pain in the ass especially if you do not have the right tools, so do you think the dealers (e.g. Lay) will be willing to resize before shipping it out? I would typically go for the rubber/leather strap version but I'd also like to get the bracelet!

tolis

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/8/09
the replica is so close to original!!!!i thing original is left and replica right?thanks

Robbo73

27/5/11
Out of curiosity, I've heard that removing links/resizing the UPO bracelet is a real pain in the ass especially if you do not have the right tools, so do you think the dealers (e.g. Lay) will be willing to resize before shipping it out? I would typically go for the rubber/leather strap version but I'd also like to get the bracelet!

It was the first bracelet I ever resized and it took about 20 minutes max. I didn't use a pin pusher though. I used a punch and jewellers hammer. Have a look on the Chanel J12 bracelet thread and you can see what I used.

The only special tools needed a bit unique is a fine v-notch spring bar pick (0.8mm). The regular (non-Burgeon type) ones won't fit in the gap between bracelet and lug. Only needed if you plan to remove the bracelet altogether.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Resized the bracelet in about 20 minutes. Then pulled the clasp apart and removed the bad spring. I'm no watchmaker what-so-ever and hadn't ever pulled a clasp apart so you should have no problem pushing out a few pins and sleeves to resize. I used a tiny watch repair screwdriver that had no driver blade in it.

lucasnsw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/10
I'm about to buy one of these. Can I expect the same quality in the PO with the orange numerals?

I'm on the same boat, just waiting for my payment this week to buy one from Lay the same 42mm black bezel with the Asian movement but wit the orange numerals and was wondering if the quality will be the same.

Anyone?

Wc0wS

Known Member
16/4/11
I'm on the same boat, just waiting for my payment this week to buy one from Lay the same 42mm black bezel with the Asian movement but wit the orange numerals and was wondering if the quality will be the same.

Anyone?

I have ordered one with the black bezel and orange numerals. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I recommend you ask again in a year or so and 1k posts. :lol:

Wc0wS

Known Member
16/4/11
I recommend you ask again in a year or so and 1k posts. :lol:

I'll hold you against the offer! I will always remember that big blue head of yours with that clever smirk :biglaugh:

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Here's your smirk for you BEEEAATCH!!!

3085301_tml.gif

;)